Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Purposes of guilds in GW2?

This purpose of this post is to get some insight on guilds and what their purpose is in GW2.

I'll start with the fact that I never played GW1, so there may be some basic understanding that I'm missing. Most of the imformation I'm using is from the wiki - wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild . (I can't post links yet)

From what I've been able to find, players will be able to join multiple guilds, but only be able to "represent" one guild at a time. By representing a guild you will have access to that guild's chat and all other guild related features (find guildies on the maps, etc.). Does this mean you can just click a button and, presto, you're in another guild (that you also have membership in)? Where is the loyalty...

Also, with 5-mans being the only instanced options, does that mean the only PvE activity available to guilds with more members is outdoor events? While I don't want to get into the discussion of 5-man vs. raiding, I feel like there should be something guilded players could do together to build comraderie. Taking the guild to do an outdoor event sounds fun, but honestly, I'd rather have a guildie get us killed in an encounter/event than some random person who happened to walk by. Guildies stick together, that's the fun of being in a guild. Plus, there's also the competition of "my guild is better than your guild" which is always fun. With random people being able to join the fight, I feel like that's going to be diminished.

PvP. From what I've read, this is going to be spectacular. Guilds will be able to participate in world PvP and claim keeps, fly their guild flags on the keep, and even upgrade/defend their castle. What I'm curious about is what advantages does the keep bestow on the guild? Is it just a place to hang out or do we get stuff like discounted merchants? Do we need a keep in order to have a guild bank and other guild related perks?

If anyone can answer any of my questions or just wants to comment, please feel free. I'm really looking forward to GW2 and I want to know as much about it as I can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... in PVE you're going to want to have your guilds do the explorable versions of the 5 man instances, those will be like raids, the story mode versions are essentially heroics in WoW, where as the explorable ones are going to be like raids, if not harder then the raids in wow. Also in PVE there will be the really big events like the dragons minions, such as The Shatterer, or Tequatil the Sunless, which you and your guild could totally get into.

As to the loyalty things, that varies from person to person, me personally i'll probably only have 1-3 guilds i'm in, 1 i'll stick around with and represent almost all the time, and the other 2 for when i need to get people together for pvp or pve (assuming no friends of mine are online).

And as for Guilds in GW1 they are a lot more pvp oriented, sure they'll get together and do dungeons like The Underworld, and stuff like that, but overall they seem more pvp heavy, or are just for social reasons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammburglerr View Post
    Also, with 5-mans being the only instanced options, does that mean the only PvE activity available to guilds with more members is outdoor events? While I don't want to get into the discussion of 5-man vs. raiding, I feel like there should be something guilded players could do together to build comraderie. Taking the guild to do an outdoor event sounds fun, but honestly, I'd rather have a guildie get us killed in an encounter/event than some random person who happened to walk by. Guildies stick together, that's the fun of being in a guild. Plus, there's also the competition of "my guild is better than your guild" which is always fun. With random people being able to join the fight, I feel like that's going to be diminished.
    That one random player cant get you killed in open world event, much less kill your whole guild group. You need to remember there is no holy trinity in GW2, so there isn't any role that is more critical than other. There won't be time that you happen to get that bad healer or tank who single-handedly cause wipe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    That one random player cant get you killed in open world event, much less kill your whole guild group. You need to remember there is no holy trinity in GW2, so there isn't any role that is more critical than other. There won't be time that you happen to get that bad healer or tank who single-handedly cause wipe.
    Also since everyone has a rez should he die, as long as the remaining members of your group can keep the enemies busy, you can always revive him and get him back into the fight!!

From what I've been able to find, players will be able to join multiple guilds, but only be able to "represent" one guild at a time. By representing a guild you will have access to that guild's chat and all other guild related features (find guildies on the maps, etc.). Does this mean you can just click a button and, presto, you're in another guild (that you also have membership in)? Where is the loyalty...
    Yes, this does indeed mean that you can click a button and "Presto" you are representing a different guild, seeing their G chat etc. The loyalty is in the choise of not having to switch guilds all the time. But still, switching between the guilds isn't like leaving them. I wouldn't feel like I was betrayed as a guild leader when a friendly active guild member decides to hang out with a different guild for a while.

You are very much going to need a guild for the more "end-game" dynamic events, they are going to be at least as hard as the raids are in WoW. And communication will be key in this. However, I think arenanet is shaping these dynamic events so that "random noobs" wont be able to ruin it for you. At least not if you are doingwell as a guild. I honestly have not enjoyed raiding in WoW for several years now. While I was very enthousiastic about it earlier. So I myself am very welcoming to this change to PvE.

-About the guilds and their adventages in WvWvW PvP I dont know much, so I cant help you with that-

10+ Year Old Account
    I will be in One guild, and only One. I don't like guild swapping, more fun to be in a single guild and get to know them.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I wasn't thinking about the loss of the holy trinity, that will definitely reduce the chances of one person messing everything up. Also, being able to revive each other would make it a lot less likely that one or a few random people could turn the tide of the battle.

Also, Xcreed mentions that endgame outdoor events will be much more difficult. Is that how it works? I haven't really been able to find much on difficult endgame stuff. If so, that sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Actually, it sounds like it would be way more fun than an old-school WoW-style raid. I would imagine multiple guilds teaming up together, or at the very least those guildless players who joined the fight being impressed by your guild (assuming you don't lose haha).

Anyone know anything about guilds and their roles in World PvP?

Also, Xcreed mentions that endgame outdoor events will be much more difficult. Is that how it works? I haven't really been able to find much on difficult endgame stuff. If so, that sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Actually, it sounds like it would be way more fun than an old-school WoW-style raid. I would imagine multiple guilds teaming up together, or at the very least those guildless players who joined the fight being impressed by your guild (assuming you don't lose haha).
    As I've understood there will be a continent entirely destined for End-game. In this area there will be a lot of dynamic events just like in the leveling areas. In this zone there will be dynamic events so difficult that they will not be completed by a random group of travelers passing by. So yeah, that sounds like something for a guild to do. They havent actually shown any of this as far as I know, but Arenanet really doesn't show a lot. (Wich I am very in favour of, this keeps it new and exciting)

Well, obviously guilds will create groups of organized PvP'ers wich will just run over the random players running around the zone. These will be needed for a server to win. So you could say that the server with the biggest best organized WvWvW Guild(s) will win the WvWvW. Now the thing about keeps, castles and rewards you were talking earlier about, I dont know much of. But the reward the server gets by winning the WvWvW sounded like a big deal.

Deleted
    You earn "influence" for your guild by doing different activities together which you can use to claim or upgrade keeps in WvWvW. There haven't been released much info about WvWvW yet.

As for events, these will get harder while you progress levels and far as I understand there will be elite events later that are not solo-able and will offer extra challenge where your guild can show what its made of. I suggest you check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfhdRjSKMtY it start with little bit of endgame and then about guilds.

I like to think that my (main) guild will be a relatively small - say 10 to 20 people - group with similar skill level and intentions to me. These will be people I consider friends - both RL ones and in-game. Given the hugely improved accessibility and group dynamics in GW2, I imagine I will always be grouped with a few of these guys, either for leveling, helping out with DEs, dungeons (especially explorable mode), PvPing (doing 5v5 with a couple of people you know and can coordinate with will be so much more fun + satisfying), or WvW. If someone is on an epic DE and wants other people to experience it, or in one that they need a few more people to help out (e.g. Tequatl the Sunless), it'll be as simple as inviting guildies to group, sidekicking them up (or they'll get sidekicked down), and using waypoints to get there. GW2 looks like it's gonna be a hugely social game, and guilds will be your group of friends that you experience it with.

On the other hand, I imagine there will be huge guilds with hundreds of people that you don't know. It'll probably be worth joining one of these and representing it when none of your other guildies are online, you want huge groups for WvW, wanting to buy/sell things or ask advice, etc.

Edit: Forgot about end-game. A guild of pro-gamers to smash the higher level DEs with will be awesome. I think I read somewhere that there's going to be high-level regions with really challenging DEs (e.g. Ruins of Orr), so rather than scheduling a raid, you might decide to go explore X zone with your guildies one night and see what happens. This could be the same guild as your main one (with friends), or you might join a pro-er guild to experience this level of content with (explorables too)

TL;DR: I imagine there will be different guilds w/ different roles - small and tight-knit social guilds, small pro-gaming guilds for harder content/progression, and massive guilds for WvW/trolling/advice/buying and selling/LFG, etc.
    Last edited by Qurious; 2011-10-08 at 12:29 AM.

I imagine that with the ability to join various guilds that they will form with special purposes, a guild for pvp, a guild for pve, a small guild for just friends and well many other things. People could also though just form larger guilds like in WoW.

op its to difficult to think out of the box (raid is the end content)..I don't blame you I am like you i just try to get over it :P

I still didn't understand how rewards is given..for example lets say a guild fighting in a DE. me and my friend will pass by and deside to help them and stay there and fight with them.so lets say we kill that bad ass mob/boss/whatever. Does it drops loot? the guild leader will get the loot as loot master and deside how to share it?or we all gain some kind of currency/coins we can use to buy gear?

will crafting items be strong?in aion for example crafting items are far more strong than quest rewards during leveling.also will crafting require materias from explore mode dungeons or from bosses in DE?
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Moving away from the entire WoW based guild system sounds just about brilliant! (If I have understood this correctly) Less drama, less people with their heads so far up the GM/Officers ***es that you can not tell whos who, less rank grind etc.

Perfect.
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    I will be in One guild, and only One. I don't like guild swapping, more fun to be in a single guild and get to know them.
    I agree with this 1,030% times infinity squared. Being able to swap between guilds just feels like crap, where's the loyalty to your guild?

Quote Originally Posted by Ventashar View Post
    I agree with this 1,030% times infinity squared. Being able to swap between guilds just feels like crap, where's the loyalty to your guild?
    But why would you need loyality to a guild in the first place? This isnt WoW!
    I think you are still set in the WoW terms of what a guild is supposed to be. Guilds are mostly a source of drama, agony and an oportunity for people to live out their megalomaniac desire for control. Ofc you can have good times in a guild as well, but meh. With this system you, as a player, will be so incredible much more free and not bound to guild grinding rep, EPGP crap and all the other boring stuff that comes with a guild.

I say multiple guilds? Hell yeah

If anyone played Final Fantasy XIo, the multi guild function is like the Linkshell system used in ffxio I think.

Deleted
    You can always try upkeep rule in your guild that players in it aren't allowed to be part in other guilds, maybe there is some similar minded people you can form guild with. Personally I will be part of multiple guilds so I can have one for PvE and PvP.

If GW2 is anything like the original Guild Wars then it's going to be a more social orientated game. In Guild Wars 2 you're going to WANT to be in a guild not NEED to be in a guild. In other games like WoW you join a guild a lot of the time because you NEED to in order to get in a good raiding group to progress through the game.

In Guild Wars 2 you're going to meet new people you enjoy playing with and WANT to make a guild together because you enjoy playing with those people, not because it's fundamentally necessary to progress through the game.

That's the idea anyway. I hope the community is great like it was in GW1 because the growing trend is players in MMOs trying to be the most selfish, entitled little brats they can be. Hopefully the increased difficulty curve, Improved loot system and gameplay that requires teamwork keeps the unsavory people at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Armida View Post
    But why would you need loyality to a guild in the first place? This isnt WoW!
    I think you are still set in the WoW terms of what a guild is supposed to be. Guilds are mostly a source of drama, agony and an oportunity for people to live out their megalomaniac desire for control. Ofc you can have good times in a guild as well, but meh. With this system you, as a player, will be so incredible much more free and not bound to guild grinding rep, EPGP crap and all the other boring stuff that comes with a guild.

I say multiple guilds? Hell yeah
    Don't tell me i'm set in the WoW terms of what a guild is suppose to be, because i didn't play WoW for very long. Personally i never liked the WoW guild system, other than being able to make extra ranks and change the rank names. I love the Guild Wars 1 guild system, you join a guild and all of your characters are in it. I personally think the multi guild system will cause quite a few problems, and i'm not in favor of it.

Don't tell me i'm set in the WoW terms of what a guild is suppose to be, because i didn't play WoW for very long. Personally i never liked the WoW guild system, other than being able to make extra ranks and change the rank names. I love the Guild Wars 1 guild system, you join a guild and all of your characters are in it. I personally think the multi guild system will cause quite a few problems, and i'm not in favor of it.
    I stand corrected then, so sorry. But I think it will be great optional wise, like the post above here states "In Guild Wars 2 you're going to WANT to be in a guild not NEED to be in a guild. In other games like WoW you join a guild a lot of the time because you NEED to in order to get in a good raiding group to progress through the game"