Deleted

any recently released (at most 3 years ago) FPS SP games that i should have played?

please note that i'm talking about FPS games with a decent SP experience (at least 10 hours on easy, nothing like that CoD BS where you can finish it in 6 hours). i'm not into multiplayer or exploration. i'm already finishing up crysis 2, and i've already finished deus ex (but that's an RPG for me, not a FPS). also, it would be really nice if the game were available on Steam.

Would be nice if you gave a list of what you've already played, but Mass Effect & Homefront come to mind. (homefront is insanely short, but the alternate verse is compelling)

Gears of War is supposed to be pretty awesome, its up to its 3rd one now. OTS shooter, don't know if that counts for you.

Ive heard fairly good things about singularity, although ive never played it myself might want to check out some vids. It also may fall more under the RPG banner but I know many people who adore boarderlands. Same story but theres a lot of enjoyment to be had out of Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas although I HEAVILY reccomend checking out the mod scene for either game. Warhammer 40k just came out and has been getting really good reviews (3rd person though), as did Red Faction Armegedon. Hard reset is a looker that just came out and probably worth a look as well Fear 3 is fairly current and getting solid if not stellar reviews.

The fundamental problem is that it sounds as though you like spectacle shooters but not the length, the reason spectacle shooters are shorter is because the time required to direct you through that kind of 6-10 hour player driven "movie". Games like DX:3, Fallout, or boarderlands may not be as directed but they offer significantly more play time due to the relative open nature.

Cant really have your cake and eat it too.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    please note that i'm talking about FPS games with a decent SP experience (at least 10 hours on easy, nothing like that CoD BS where you can finish it in 6 hours).
    Unfortunately, a 4-6 hour campaign has pretty much become the norm in FPS games these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a FPS player, but I would recomend Bioshock 2. (Bioshock "1" is good too, but it is older than 3 years, I think)

Deleted
    some comments:

1) PC ONLY! i don't have a PS3, i don't have an Xbox 360 and even if i did have either, i don't like console shooters due to the inherent flaw of being too accurate (you hit too easily because of aim assist) and being not accurate enough (aim assist sometimes clamps to the wrong target, and it's harder to aim a camera with a controller) at the same time.
    2) i want the outcome of fights to depend on my actual shooter skills, not on some behind-the-scenes diceroll.
    3) i'm not interested in horror, like Dead space or FEAR 3. and those spectacle shooters are too hectic for me. CoD has too much happening at once, combined with the distracting chatter, multitude of explosions and smoke curtains, combined with the many enemies. Crysis 2 has some pretty good gameplay (you feel like a one-man-army on a covert ops, not like a soldier in a war) without many distractions.

in my collection: Mass Effect 1 and 2, Bioshock (haven't finished it yet though), saint's row 2, just cause 1 and 2, crysis 1 and 2, deus ex 2 and 3, the orange box, star wars: battlefront 1 and 2, brothers in arms 1, portal 1 and 2, C&C renegade, republic commando, far cry 1 (although i don't like that one)

Consider "Hard Reset", it's maybe 4 hours long, but only $30, so it's priced decently for it's length.

It's a PC only game.

Also, Singularity. You have a time manipulation device and solve puzzles with it (Ie. de-age a rotted barrel to open a door that's jammed shut, etc.). Priced around $30 and 6-7ish hours long.
    Last edited by ewhenn; 2011-10-07 at 08:59 PM.