Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    ROFL you made my day with that image. OP at the risk of being trolled the only way to make that work is if every class could do everything equaly well, Deal damage, Heal, CC, and absorb/avoid damage, everyone is the same. There are just so many aspects of the game tied to the interdependancy of the classes that you'd have to junk the whole system and start over to balance 1v1.

Yeah, lets just leave pvp in its current state with some classes twice as effective as others...makes sense. Currently they are multiple classes that have no interdependancy while others are gimped to need another class to even play. That makes pvp imbalanced!

10+ Year Old Account
    go play counter strike
    I used to like WoW. I still do, but I used to, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by urban dictionary
    Terms such as "baddie" do nothing to help remove the socially-inept, tone-deaf loser stigma stuck on gamers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    Does it matter? PvP matters as much as pet battles.

Deleted
    First of all, unless they change dragonslaying there is not anything to debate.

Because better balancing would require less buttons with more depth. Eg. Heroic Leap (or whatever is that stuff called now), has at least some depth, compared to say... Charge. And both of those are somewhat more interesting than say Sinister Strike.

Also the sheer amount of buffs, useless moves and simplistic spells is alarming.

I'd say that warrior Arms spec is one of the least "clogged" specs up there as most of the abilities players load in their action bar make quite some meaning (though mortal strike or rend for example are not that interesting, and ironically not even those stances).

It should be much easier to balance 30 specs each using about 10-15 spells (and many of them shared in between those specs of course), even when those spells would rarely be just "do X damage and apply Y debuff you don't really care about".

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    But it's not the EXACT SAME (begins to cry on keyboard because they don't understand) it's the same amount of damage in the end yes. But the way that damage is delivered can be vastly different.
    People do understand you, they just don't agree. PVP is complicated to a degree right now. You wish to make it much simpler. The problem with what you propose is its very short sighted. Limiting it so much when people have already had a taste will make them grow bored and not wish to participate.

Deleted
    1v1 will never be balanced and would require a whole system rehaul - not worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilith View Post
    People do understand you, they just don't agree. PVP is complicated to a degree right now. You wish to make it much simpler. The problem with what you propose is its very short sighted. Limiting it so much when people have already had a taste will make them grow bored and not wish to participate.
    Not trying to make it simpler, just more balanced. You can still have teams with synergy and team work, but balance would reward the player, not the comp. Right now, its the comp>skill, and that is just bad!

Its easy to say balance the game around 1v1 ... the people who say that are typically inexperienced players without a view of the greater scheme of the game. These are the players who like to duel as their primary outlet for pvp. In wow, pvp isn't 1v1. The quintessential pvp is 3v3 arena and that is how it is balanced, and how it should be balanced. In fact, I would venture to say the game is more balanced now in pvp than ever. There are the most comp varieties viable above 2200 now more than ever. Not that balance couldn't be better but I maintain it is at an all time best.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Wait - Didn't they lock this post days ago?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Not true. Because at high ratings where the viable class compositions are more consistent and balanced (healer caster dps) when facing a mirror match or balanced team vs balanced team the players with the skill win.

Deleted
    I really don't see a problem with it. Using the philosophy of balancing pvp around 1v1 would also balance 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 and BG's. It would be good for solo players and group players.

It's win win all around.
    No, it won't. Healers won't be balanced. At the moment, they're hard to kill 1v1 because they're designed to keep someone up even with 2 people attacking them. However, if Healers are balanced for 1v1, they won't stand a chance on keeping people alive in 3s and 5s.

Deleted
    Wow is more balanced than ever, which is why its less fun than ever... Rock, paper, scissor = FUN! Rogues smash ranged, range smash warr, warr smash rogue.. Luck needs to come into play more, healers should be able to deal with 1 dps but if the dps crits like Mad and gets some procs than maybe the healer can die.. Balance right now sucks because its too good. Every class has cc, what happened to 'oh we need a mage/rogue for cc, or a sham would be nice for buffs...' Everyone has been op.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Einzweidrei View Post
    Don't get your panties in a bunch though, Dyr. It's not like my little 4-class 1v1 balance example is in open beta and is being released tomorrow morning. It was an example to show that in a span of seconds I could think of a way in which 1v1 can be balanced without all of the different classes involved having all of the same abilities. The only reason what I whipped up on the spot wasn't perfectly balanced is because you read into it things that would unbalance it instead of spending just as much effort thinking of a way to make it work. Derr.
    ANYONE can balance a game if there is just 2 classes or, even better, just 1. Just give the class "stab" and "heal". Perfectly balanced. The only thing is, surprise surprise, that game would be terrible. I don't think you understand how hard it is to balance 30 specs to be just an equally good against eachother. If one spec is better than another then it needs to be nerfed which then makes it worse against others. This game should be balanced around 3v3, the sum of 3 classes parts.

In my opinion, one of the most balanced 1v1 match-ups is Warlock against Arms Warrior. That or Rogue.

Balancing around 1v1 is possible, but probably very boring.

Saying 1v1 balance would scale up to bigger engagements though is silly. It's assuming that a bigger engagement would always deteriorate into a bunch of duels... which obviously isn't the case.

Why would you balance a game designed to be played socially with other people around a solo mentality. You want to balance the game around duels? Duels are something people do when they are bored not something you do to progress through the game and assuming that BG's would break down into everyone pairing off to duel each other is completely asinine. Why would I walk up to a teammate who's losing a fight and go "Oh, you're already fighting that guy....well I'll wait till your done before I attack him so we don't end up making it unbalanced by causing a 2v1 to happen. Oh and let me make sure he has time to drink and heal up before I fight him after I watch you die." It just wouldn't make any sense. Not to mention that it would involve making 30 different specs all do exactly the same damage, have exactly the same mitigation, have the same healing or someone will have an advantage. You'd also have to take gear completely out of the equation as it has one of the largest impacts on 1v1 performance. Oh and you'd have to make all the classes so idiot proof to play that they were impossible to screw up even if you were trying to balance the fact that some people are just better players than others. What you want, to me, sounds like "World of Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots" where we all push 1 button at 1 other person until someones head randomly pops off.

Deleted
    Tell me, why do some of you guys accept that this game cant be balanced 1v1 when Blizzard simply doesnt care?

They let SL SL warlock ruin the whole season 2 while the whole forum flooded with QQ, and you really think its the case "1v1 cant be balanced?"

I can forgive if a FOTM ruins the gameplay for about 2-3 weeks, but 6 months is totally unforgiven.

And they dont even bother balancing bad specs. For example moonkins were extremely bad in WOTLK, and they asked for a buff in survival, no Blizzard buffed Starfall damage to one shot everything within 40 yards.

No wonder most MMOs is not balanced 1v1; the company doesnt bother. Except Anet or what that company is called, hope they will give a care about balancing PvP in GW2, they even separate effects from pve to pvp.

And, what i mean with balancing 1v1 is not really balancing it totally. Like Guild Wars: I made a teleporting poison and slow assassin with a bow, and i could take warriors more easy than they could take me.
    But that was even more balanced than nowadays WoW.
    Last edited by mmoc664e732ce0; 2011-10-11 at 06:40 AM.

Deleted
    You can equalize damage output in pvp for a start. Basically all classes would do the exact same amount of damage over a given period of time. However, the damage delivery may be different. Some classes would burst hard for a few seconds and then have semi weak damage and some classes would prefer constant damage over burst. But in the end their damage adds up to the same..
    You're basicly saying you want classes to have burst / consistant damage, but in the end, the same.. How is that different from what we have?! >.<
    It wouldn't be balanced since games wouldn't last long enough for that time to be reached, in other words, it wouldn't be balanced. O_O

Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    if you want to see if you are better then someone else in this game, both roll a lvl 1 of the same race/class, lvl to 10, and duel using only starting gear.

thats the closest you can get to balanced
    hum, no?