Thread: Rage graphics?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Rage graphics?

So i recently aquired rage and installed it. It should run fine on my computer and i should not experience lag. I don't experience lag either
    So far the game has been pretty interesting and i really wanna keep playing, but i still don't because the graphics are just AWFUL.

If you see a newspaper on the ground, it looks like a white square with one or two black lines on it. That's it. If you see a fridge, it only looks like a cube.
    This game got no textures AT ALL. It's just shapes of everything it's so damn awful i can't believe it! And the game is like 18Gig aswell, how much fail can this game get..

So i read about it and people told me to update my drivers. I'm currently using ATI Radeon HD 5700 series and i can run every game on the market with no lag or graphic issues, except for rage. So i updated my drivers to the latest version but the problem still persists....
    So i googled some more and found out that a "Special" update from ATI has been released in order to fix all "graphic bugs" with rage.
    I downloaded it instantly, installed it but no, nothing. Oh and also, once i installed that update my game started crashing every 30 minutes.

I googled some more and found a guide telling me to create a new .cfg file inside the Rage folder and write in some stuff, then open the console in rage and write m_smooth 0 or something like that. I did it but no, fridges still look like cubes and a coca cola can looks like a red circle thingy....

Is anyone having the same problem as i do or am i the only one?

That's just how it looks, most surroundings have piss poor looks actually, thing like weapons etc. look good, but details on walls, shelves, floors etc. look sheit.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxytrott View Post
    That's just how it looks, most surroundings have piss poor looks actually, thing like weapons etc. look good, but details on walls, shelves, floors etc. look sheit.
    With the current technology, EVERY game has to be like that. Hardware can't handle that many polys.

Deleted
    Wow really? So how come this game is so big? 18gig. I heard it's only like 20 hours of gameplay. That can't possible be 18gig?

Are you insinuating that a gaming studio cut corners on a run of the mill shooter game to meet deadlines and make a profit?

Deleted
    It almost seems that way, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorlor View Post
    With the current technology, EVERY game has to be like that. Hardware can't handle that many polys.
    I disagree, and i'll take some screenshots to show what I mean, so brb 5min

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanktas View Post
    So i recently aquired rage and installed it. It should run fine on my computer and i should not experience lag. I don't experience lag either
    So far the game has been pretty interesting and i really wanna keep playing, but i still don't because the graphics are just AWFUL.

If you see a newspaper on the ground, it looks like a white square with one or two black lines on it. That's it. If you see a fridge, it only looks like a cube.
    This game got no textures AT ALL. It's just shapes of everything it's so damn awful i can't believe it! And the game is like 18Gig aswell, how much fail can this game get..

So i read about it and people told me to update my drivers. I'm currently using ATI Radeon HD 5700 series and i can run every game on the market with no lag or graphic issues, except for rage. So i updated my drivers to the latest version but the problem still persists....
    So i googled some more and found out that a "Special" update from ATI has been released in order to fix all "graphic bugs" with rage.
    I downloaded it instantly, installed it but no, nothing. Oh and also, once i installed that update my game started crashing every 30 minutes.

I googled some more and found a guide telling me to create a new .cfg file inside the Rage folder and write in some stuff, then open the console in rage and write m_smooth 0 or something like that. I did it but no, fridges still look like cubes and a coca cola can looks like a red circle thingy....

Is anyone having the same problem as i do or am i the only one?
    Bro, you're using a 2 year old graphics card to run a next gen engine. I ran a 5750 before I upgraded, and I'm here to tell you: There's no way in hell you can run WoW maxed, let alone RAGE without having sub 30 fps.

www.newegg.com Time to upgrade. Check out either a 6950, or if you have the money, 6970.

Edit: spellins.
    2nd Edit: If wall, floor, and all those textures look like crap, crank the settings up. If your comp can't handle it, don't bitch because you're looking at LOW quality textures.

I disagree, and i'll take some screenshots to show what I mean, so brb 5min
    I'm rather curious to see what you have coming. Nice texturing=/=polys though, keep that in mind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Epiphanes View Post
    Bro, you're using a 2 year old graphics card to run a next gen engine. I ran a 5750 before I upgraded, and I'm here to tell you: There's no way in hell you can run WoW maxed, let alone RAGE without having sub 30 fps.

www.newegg.com Time to upgrade. Check out either a 6950, or if you have the money, 6970.

Edit: spellins.
    2nd Edit: If wall, floor, and all those textures look like crap, crank the settings up. If your comp can't handle it, don't bitch because you're looking at LOW quality textures.
    I am playing wow with maxed and got no issue at all with it, the only time my fps drops a little is during boss fights with many effects, that's it.
    And about settings, i would looove to max them. But you can't in rage. There are no video options. Let me get a screenshot! Hold on!

Quote Originally Posted by Razorlor View Post
    Not really, a tech problem so much as the majority of games are sadly developed on Consoles then ported to pc. Look at BF3, by far the single best looking game ever made, and it was developed on PC for PC. Not that I expect this to change since most of the gaming revenue is on consoles, it's just sad to see how ugly games remain in 2011. Crysis (original not 2) still holds up to modern games developed on consoles.

Just to make it clear, i'm not saying the graphics in the game is complete shit.
    Just saying that they could have done more some places like this.

I think the creators of portal got more out of source engine than ID did of this brand new one in some areas at least.
    Overall the game is really well visually put together, but stuff like that just annoys me :P

Are you viewing them up close or far away? Tessellation only works when you get close to an object in a game. Everything from a distance looks like garbage.

10+ Year Old Account

It's just an incredibly horrible port.

The Rage developers actually stated that developing the game for consoles was a mistake, and any future titles will be initially created for PC hardware.
    Last edited by Arisfarreach; 2011-10-08 at 02:07 AM.

Deleted
    http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/1f8eec31_raage.jpg
    There's the screenie of video options in Rage.
    I'm using window mode cause that was the only way i could print screen it seems

Oh and it's like that video above me, once i installed the driver it wasn't as severe as he had it but it's still there.

Deleted
    Things look ok on my pc, you sure that you are playing Rage and not minecraft.
    Found this elsewhere :-
    5# Rage ATI Fixes
    If you are trying to play Rage on your ATI video card, there are few things you should know:
    Force the game to start in best performance mode, disable the 3D application control. Disable the Catalyst AI. Roll back your drivers.

Rage is experiencing conflicts with drivers resulting in bad overall performance – forcing these settings may improve performance for you. If you are concerned about messing up your settings, try giving Rage Hotfix drivers from ATI a shot, if it resolves your issue, you don’t need to do any of this.

I actually like the way the game looks, but that's more because of the aesthetics than the graphics. No other game in this genre has made NPCs that look as good as they do in Rage though.

@Arisfarreach - there is a fix for that, even my crappy gt220 handles the game just fine.

Just to make it clear, i'm not saying the graphics in the game is complete shit.
    Just saying that they could have done more some places like this.

I think the creators of portal got more out of source engine than ID did of this brand new one in some areas at least.
    Overall the game is really well visually put together, but stuff like that just annoys me :P
    Again, these are very low POLY models. The texturing however, is very well done.\

The thing is, if they run a game with really high poly characters and guns etc. with flashy particle effects, they have to sacrifice the quality somewhere.

That barrel look to be 10 polys at most with a height map on it. But the texturing is done well enough, that it appears to be more "detailed"
    Last edited by Razorlor; 2011-10-08 at 02:11 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanceuppercut View Post
    Things look ok on my pc, you sure that you are playing Rage and not minecraft.
    Found this elsewhere :-
    5# Rage ATI Fixes
    If you are trying to play Rage on your ATI video card, there are few things you should know:
    Force the game to start in best performance mode, disable the 3D application control. Disable the Catalyst AI. Roll back your drivers.

Rage is experiencing conflicts with drivers resulting in bad overall performance – forcing these settings may improve performance for you. If you are concerned about messing up your settings, try giving Rage Hotfix drivers from ATI a shot, if it resolves your issue, you don’t need to do any of this.
    I don't even know how to "max" the performance in rage since i can't change anything in video options. And i ain't pro with this stuff so i don't even know what kind of 3D application control i have, or what/where the catalyst AI is. But is that what it takes? Do you need to know advanced stuff in order to have decent graphics in a game?