Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

The Little Things {GW2}

When people talk about GW2, they often mention Dynamic Events, the personal story and the skill based combat. These are large selling points, and will probably be branded on the back of the box. However, many people forget about a video game's little features. These small details or conveniences are what really make a game go from "good" to "great". When you say a game is polished, you generally mean that it has many little details that all work seamlessly in order to achieve a great experience.

What are the little things you enjoy about GW2? What are the small touches that make you smile whenever you see them?

Personally, I think it's a tie between a carrier pigeon delivering mail to you, and the fact that you can select your own music that will play over the game soundtrack, and lower its volume during dialogue. Skyrim soundtrack in the mountains? Done. Shadow of the Colossus theme for bosses? You got it.

The SWTOR version of this thread for those interested: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...6#post13573366
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

10+ Year Old Account
    When you sheath you weapon, you run ever so slightly faster.

Pigeons delivering mail.

Quote Originally Posted by morlem View Post
    Pigeons delivering mail.
    Beat me to it. I think that's so cool, rather than it just appearing all of a sudden.

If I had to think of something myself though, then it's probably how you can pick stuff up in the environment and use it as a weapon, even though it isn't exactly a viable choice. I think whacking somebody around with a wrench would be neat. =)

The armor. Badass without being too extravagant. I also love the way you'll get different abilities depending on what weapons you have equipped, even as a caster.

Destructible objects is a really nice touch. I remember from watching some convention pvp footage where an elementalist was flinging fireballs and his target rolled behind what looked like a bunch of barrels (lower res footage of a screen, hard to tell) and the fireballs hit the barrels instead, eventually destroying them and revealing his target once again.

Also, maybe a slightly bigger deal: The fact that achievements (and thus probably the titles wich accompany some of them) are account bound, not tied to the specific characters you earn them with. Really looking forward to rolling some alts because of this

Cities that have life to them beyond providing services to whiny adventurers. (NPC conversations, kids running around, bar brawls, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmrider View Post
    Cities that have life to them beyond providing services to whiny adventurers. (NPC conversations, kids running around, bar brawls, etc.)
    Yeah, this really ties in to the living world that Arenanet are going for.
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cucumber View Post
    Also, maybe a slightly bigger deal: The fact that achievements (and thus probably the titles wich accompany some of them) are account bound, not tied to the specific characters you earn them with. Really looking forward to rolling some alts because of this
    I did not know this. I seriously just got a bit of a hard on reading it.

My personal fav "little thing" really isn't so little. The "common sense combat" that GW2 offers. You swing your sword in a broad manner when there are 3 mobs in-front of you - you hit each of them. As mentioned above, you can hide behind stuff for shelter only to have it destroyed. The whole "common sense" approach to many things in GW2 in general.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Also: being able to swing a weapon at nothing.

The beautiful character animations, especially the eyes. You know that is probably a very big thing, but it is one a lot of developers ignore.

10+ Year Old Account
    3 areas on armor for dyes and the variety of colors
    HoM rewards
    Rytlock Brimstone
    Waypoints
    No targets required to cast skills
    No underwater breathing
    Special underwater only skills

That's just the things I could think of off the top of my head. There's pretty much nothing I'm not excited about.

There's a few things.

- The landscape: It simply looks beautiful!

- How players are able to use abilities freely i.e you don't have to target a mob

- No underwater breathing (Underwater combat is really diverse)

- The detail that has gone into character animation and story.

Just a few things that stood out for myself.

I love how you can move out of the way of someones attacks. I also love how the mountains look in the norn area it reminds me of home haha! Not having to train for spells is a plus and my favorite thing of all is gear not affecting how well you do in pvp!

The attention to detail they put into the cities. Most MMO cities don't really feel very "alive" or detailed, but the videos I've seen of the cities (both official and fan videos) make them feel so vibrant and...alive.

I like how the background turns into concept art, and how everything is just massive in size.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    The attention to detail they put into the cities. Most MMO cities don't really feel very "alive" or detailed, but the videos I've seen of the cities (both official and fan videos) make them feel so vibrant and...alive.
    My favorite is this guy fixing all the broken floor tiles

I freaking love how plants move because you walk by them, and even by your spells!

Asuras having afro. :3
    Hi

Deleted
    The possibility to have tattoos on your Norn!

Also the really good Animations.