Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Whelp, 3 days in and I've completed challenges 1, 2, 3, 12, and 13. Currently working on a farm, then I'll spread some grass to another platform so I can get some passive mobs to spawn; starting it off well-lit so I don't get hostiles, but once I'm ready, lights are going off.

Since I put my cobblestone generator on the side of the platform, I inadvertently created a giant column of cobblestone all the way to the bottom of the map. I figured out that I could use that to create platforms beneath the island, which GREATLY improved my ability to survive, as I could harvest much more dirt than otherwise. Most unique map I've ever played!

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblbaconator View Post
    Whelp, 3 days in and I've completed challenges 1, 2, 3, 12, and 13. Currently working on a farm, then I'll spread some grass to another platform so I can get some passive mobs to spawn; starting it off well-lit so I don't get hostiles, but once I'm ready, lights are going off.

Since I put my cobblestone generator on the side of the platform, I inadvertently created a giant column of cobblestone all the way to the bottom of the map. I figured out that I could use that to create platforms beneath the island, which GREATLY improved my ability to survive, as I could harvest much more dirt than otherwise. Most unique map I've ever played!
    A couple of things to consider:

Make a bridge out and create another platform. Make it wide and then a decent height up from there you can create another platform in the sky. If you put a shell over this platform in the sky, it will be dark enough for mobs to spawn. They will then drop down to the lower platform to their death. This way, you don't actually have to fight anything.

Use the first block of ice to start your CB generator. Place your lava in the other part and let that sit. Scoop out the water with the bucket and start the source block on the side of an edge block to the island. Place your other ice block in the generator and break that. Now you have a water elevator that you can ride. You can then make a pillar of CB down and create another platform underneath to fuller catch all of the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalorum View Post
    "Rules:
    Do NOT leave the island. "

There is no iron on the island. So no pistons. No challenge to be accepted.
    but i want to accept it T.T

even though i would probably get bored and jump off the island even if i knew how to beat it

Whelp, I finished off the official challenges. I could probably do the unofficial ones too if I had the patience for it; I've already collected enough Ender Pearls (more than enough), and I can get the ink sacs if I'm patient enough, but at that point I kinda stopped caring.

Anyone know how much grass in a square there has to be for passive mobs to spawn? I wanted to see if it were possible to get a cake, but I'd need a cow and a chicken first.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblbaconator View Post
    Anyone know how much grass in a square there has to be for passive mobs to spawn? I wanted to see if it were possible to get a cake, but I'd need a cow and a chicken first.
    I think that it actually has more to do with the light. If you save a bunch of grass and make a flat open area, they should spawn. Trees will block the light necessary for them to spawn, so keep the area entirely clear. You might even put torches around it if you have it on a separate island so that aggressive mobs don't spawn when it gets dark.

Deleted
    Im a major fan of Survival maps, i have done about 8/9 and this one by far was the best! http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...014210604.png/ i tuned on fly mod to take the screen but other than that all legit, took a good while farming the cobble, lucky i have my methods to remain sane when doing so ! oh i just noticed i missed the top, all that is is where my water comes from into my unlimited supply, 3 cactus and 4 trees

Playing this right now, and its definitely the most fun I've had in Minecraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    I think that it actually has more to do with the light. If you save a bunch of grass and make a flat open area, they should spawn. Trees will block the light necessary for them to spawn, so keep the area entirely clear. You might even put torches around it if you have it on a separate island so that aggressive mobs don't spawn when it gets dark.
    I keep the grass I have lit by a bunch of torches, but I think some of it's fairly thin widthwise. I'll probably rearrange it a bit and see what happens. At the very least, I'll learn a lesson in passive mob spawning!