Thread: Mobile App

Mobile App

Just found this on my Android, does anyone know if it's legit?

https://market.android.com/details?i...ars.mobilechat

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I tested it in the Android SDK emulator. Here's the steps if you want to check for yourself:
    1. Get the SDK from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    2. Download the system.img containing the Android Market from http://techdroid.kbeanie.com/2011/01...ulator-22.html
    3. Once you copied system.img to the proper path, start the emulator and clear the cache of the Android Market app as well as the data from the Google Framework Services
    4. Restart the emulator, and then it lets you find the app on the Android Market

I then looked at the network packets with Wireshark, and it only connected to 64.25.39.21, 64.25.39.82 and 64.25.39.44 which according to http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-64-25-32-0-1.html are assigned to NC Interactive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

New video from the Android Market:

Last edited by ZyngaFail; 2011-10-13 at 09:00 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't touch it personally. With only 4 reviews with 2 stating some pretty fishy things, I would avoid it.

Yeah, it sounds too good to be true, so I'm on the fence. Hope someone who tried it can clarify for us.

Edit: There's a video review on youtube

10+ Year Old Account
    Garbage. Looks like an attempt to steal account info to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be putting my username, password and a character name into a 3rd party app.

Deleted
    "This application is in no way affilated with or endorsed by ArenaNet or NCSoft." so it's against EULA to use it login to game. Plus you have to trust it with your account details+security question. You should delete link and video as it break EULA.

Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    "This application is in no way affilated with or endorsed by ArenaNet or NCSoft." so it's against EULA to use it login to game.
    So are TexMod, KSMod, etc.

Plus you have to trust it with your account details+security question.
    That's why I created this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder of you could get banned for botting too...?

I don't see how, since it doesn't appear to be automating any gameplay. You still have to type a message to chat anyway, but I would like to know the official stance on these things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZyngaFail View Post
    So are TexMod, KSMod, etc.
    Anet have said they allow Texmod but do not support it. They haven't approved this app and I doubt they will because it require your username/password/security question to use.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how, since it doesn't appear to be automating any gameplay.
    But you're not logged in via the official client.

All in all, I think it's more potential trouble then it's worth.

Anet have said they allow Texmod but do not support it. They haven't approved this app and I doubt they will because it require your username/password/security question to use.
    Technically, TexMod has just as much access to your username and password as this app does. It can just read it from GW's memory while you are logging in.

But you are right, they have not commented on this app, so we don't know whether they will allow it. Obviously you shouldn't be contacting NCSoft support if you can't login on your phone, which is what the "not supported" clause in the EULA protects them against.

Deleted
    Technically, TexMod has just as much access to your username and password as this app does. It can just read it from GW's memory while you are logging in.
    That's true. Still Anet haven't approved this mobile app like they have texmod so until they do approve this mobile app it's against EULA to use.

I don't want to turn this into an "Are EULAs even legally binding?" thread; it's always a grey zone. As long as it does not harm anyone, I don't see ArenaNet disallowing the app anyway.

But I'm much more interested in hearing if anyone who tried this and can provide some insight on the "trustworthyness" of the app. Does it really work, and do you still have access to your account? Maybe someone with a second account could test it.

I guess it would help if we could get ahold of the app's developers, does anyone know who they are?

Deleted
    I guess it would help if we could get ahold of the app's developers, does anyone know who they are?
    As others have said, this looks like a scam. And the one thing that raises the alarm in my head is the total and complete lack of any information on the developer.

You can actually contact the developer through the Android Market, if you scroll down on the application's page. Has anyone already done this?

Judging by all the reviews on it, it's a scam. Plain and simple, i wouldn't do it if i were you.

In the interest of protecting people accounts, I'm closing and removing the link. The general consensus seems to be that it's most likely a scam (and it does look like one) so let's avoid anyone downloading it without reading the thread or looking into it.

Re-opened!

Thanks to some detective work on the part of Zyngafail, I'm pretty confident that this app is, in fact, legit.

That being said though, I can't say with 100% certainty (80-90% sounds about right) so download and use at your own risk.

Discuss away!

Deleted
    Atleast this one is free. >.> *Cough* Wow *Cough*