Thread: Addons?

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Addons?

...like you couldnt tell I havent played GW1 yet

But here it goes: Are there any need for addons at all? Will there be?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Armida View Post
    "Need" really depends on the person playing, so the question is kind of redundant.

There hasn't been any info about Addons yet, but even if they aren't supported there will always be player-made mods.

Deleted
    The UI was fully customizable in GW1, but not with 3rd party addons. You could move and resize/hide anything.

There isn't really a need for DPS metres in GW2 as that's not what the game is about obviously, so I'm going with a no for addons, but they did say they were implementing any "addon" type things that were actually useful for the game.

Ofc there is no "need" for any addons in WoW as well. I should have been more presise in my questio,sorry. But what I want to know is if people used addons in GW1 that later were implemented in the game, or became somewhat mandatory to have if you wanted to perform better?

If they follow the GW1 pattern, you won't have them.. at least at launch. In GW1 you had control on almost all UI elements and could customize them as much as you like.. think of it like Bartender + Move Anything WoW addons in default interface options (plus several others). I don't see why they wouldn't let us have as much freedom as in original game.. but yeah, it would be nice if there were addons, the amount of customization and end game tools skyrocks with it.

Only addons i'd use for GW2 if they have any, would probably for UI overhauls. That's what i did in WoW all the time, messed around with my UI. In GW1 sure you could do some nice customization without TexMod, but nothing too drastic which i like to do.

My guess though is that they might have some addons sometime after release, but as GayGirlie said, the "need" for addons depends on the person playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    If anyone makes a DPS Meter AddOn, I'll personally send them an email of me pointing and laughing at them.

:P

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    If anyone makes a DPS Meter AddOn, I'll personally send them an email of me pointing and laughing at them.

:P
    You, me, and a lot of other people.

Deleted
    I hope there won't be any addons, they destroy games to be honest.

If ArenaNet succeeds in creating a concise, useful UI, in which I believe they have, you shouldn't need to use add-ons at all.

The thing with damage meters though is that while the smart people will use it as a tool like it was intended, the dumb ones will spout off nonsense like "lolz nub ur damage is terribad." I would find a damage meter useful for figuring out effectiveness of your abilities in a given situation. Maybe see what things you could do to improve your skill level. It wouldn't have to be just damage. You could maybe see how many successful stuns happened, how many knockbacks landed. Are you taking too much unnecessary damage? Should I be dodging more? Stuff like that.
    Last edited by Plagous; 2011-10-08 at 04:39 PM. Reason: grammar

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like addons. They definitely make the game more functional and fluid. I played wow with minimal addons and even when blizzard copied and added addons to the default UI the original player made addons still functioned better.

So they aren't all bad Omni cc and Lose control are by far my favorite combination of addons and combat text addons are a life saver.
    Last edited by Nikvis; 2011-10-08 at 05:02 PM.

The UI for Guild Wars 2 looks good enough as it is, and since there are no specific roles, things such as damage meters or threat meters(threat management is unique between mobs and mobs of the same type). So really as of right now I do not see any need of player made addons because Arenanet are putting so much work into everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont' want AddOns, it's more fun when all players have the same UI, but being able to move the bars around on the screen. I don't want DPS meters, DBM and that stuff. Screwed up WoW.

Deleted
    Hopefully we won't need addons since the game is perfect. If we need addons. WE SHALL HAVE ADDONS!

10+ Year Old Account

Well you didn't -need- add ons in wow... or guild wars 1, so i doubt you'll need it in GW2..

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Well you didn't -need- add ons in wow... or guild wars 1, so i doubt you'll need it in GW2..
    I see what you did there.

But not quite my point. You truly need some addons in WoW, well you did pre new ui wich made some healing addons redundant,not to mention threat meters. And if you want to play ball with the others you "need" some addons.

I just hope there wont be any addons for Gw2, making addons that you "need" in order to play just ruins it. Sure in the beginning its all swell and a useful tool. Worst case scenario you will be needing a gearscore like addon *shudders*...

10+ Year Old Account
    I see what you did there.

But not quite my point. You truly need some addons in WoW, well you did pre new ui wich made some healing addons redundant,not to mention threat meters. And if you want to play ball with the others you "need" some addons.

I just hope there wont be any addons for Gw2, making addons that you "need" in order to play just ruins it. Sure in the beginning its all swell and a useful tool. Worst case scenario you will be needing a gearscore like addon *shudders*...
    I dunno, I use to bear tank in Kara back in BC with only one AddOn, Gatherer >_> (for farming and making $$$). Sooo, you don't "need" AddOns, but at times in WoW they did help with boss fights when I was tired after work. But since BC, I haven't needed them due to me not raiding anymore. But for GW2, I still say "No to AddOns!". :P

I wonder about how customizeable the UI will be in GW2 for one reason: the health bubble. It seems like moving the hotbar anywhere away from the bottom of the screen could cause some issues. Other things like target areas, mini map, ect could and should be able to move.

Well, since you can't affect anyone else directly, that right there gets rid of a majority of use for addons already. I don't see damage meters meaning so much when there are SO many different skill combinations available for each class, and all with differing pluses and minuses that trying to quantify any single ONE as the "best" just wont be possible, in my opinion anyway. Perhaps a bossmod of some type, but even there, the "bosses" and most mobs in general, advertise their big strikes so you can dodge, and if you don't dodge, you can be ressed, in combat, by anyone else. You also cant have more than the 5 weapon skills, and your 5 other skills (your heal, 3 specials and 1 elite), so you don't need bar mods.

Really the only addon's I could see being brought in would be UI artwork stuff perhaps (as you can already move everything in the standard UI to your liking). There might be some other ones, like perhaps a guild chat/management one, but that all depends on how the in game UI works in regard to those. If the one that's in game is already superb than there's no reason for an addon is there? And this I suspect is how all addon discussions to go. If what A-Net has in game is already better (or as good) as anyone could develop, then there is no reason for outside addons.