Deleted

Those heavy AOE trash in 82-85 5mans

I have this lowbie new char that is Disc and find it hard to keep high mana while some heavy AOE trash are going on.

I guess it is no much different from raiding with heavy AOE.

How I deal with it:

1. Since there is no heavy tank damage, he is not treated much differently, maybe an extra Penance or a shield (maybe shield is pushing it if it doesn't break for the mana)

2. Prayer of Mending. This appears to be powerful but sometimes unreliable. Not very unreliable when the AOE is very frequent though. (I noticed it doesn't work on shielded targets, that's a bit of a problem, sometimes)

3. Prayer of Healing. This appears to not be very efficient. It's the main thing that bugs me a bit. Its healing isn't spectacular (I hope it's not just the lowbie gear) and its mana consumption is generally a lot. [BTW, I thought of using an Atonement rotation but that usually works as a starter since on heavy AOE it appeaes not be enough (Especially if not all are stack close by, hunters etc.)]

What do you think? Is there something extra I miss (I'm almost certain I miss something, I don't know all the spells yet perfectly).

---

Ah, by the way. I consider Holy may be more "Powerful" in AOE mode but I haven't tried it a lot yet. Only thing that conserns me with this spec it's that it's not that much of a "Panic savior" due to weak or expensive shielding.

--

Holy Nova appears weak and a gimmick to me right now. Maybe only for very lowbie mobs or for expeptional cirmustances like a secondary healer for Ragnaros phase2 ads.
    Last edited by mmoc5a44133bd1; 2011-10-08 at 05:55 PM.

Disc is very gear dependent and requires a little more work with lower gear levels to be effective for 5 mans. Don't get me wrong, you can still heal just fine, it just requires a little extra planning because the majority of disc healing is preventing damage.

The easiest way, is to CC the mob that is raping the group.

The sloppy way is pop AA/PI then spam PoH. If you are still having a problem, use Barrier as well.

Another way to counter heavy AoE damage is pre-shielding. This can be tricky though, because PW:S costs a lot of mana. One way is to to pre-shield everyone, then sit and drink right as the tank pulls because you just chewed up your mana. Even with the high mana cost, PW:S is very OP in 5 man regs, so simply pre-shielding damage may be more effective then PoH spam, because the AoE is unlikely to break your shields. Pre-shielding before burst damage is still one of the most effective ways to heal as disc. HOWEVER BE WARNED. HEAVY USE OF PW:S WILL CAUSE MANA PROBLEMS.

Holy nova sucks. Don't use it. As you said, it's very situational, and has a high mana cost.

Still use PoM on CD. Yes, it can be somewhat unreliable at times, but it's a fire and forget instant-cast smart heal. It will always jump to the person with the lowest health.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by scandore8472 View Post
    Disc is very gear dependent and requires a little more work with lower gear levels to be effective for 5 mans.
    Wrong. Holy is much more gear dependent (Disci is gear dependent, as more intel = more regen). But Holy doesn't rely on Intel for mana regen. Thus, With same gear, healing as Disci is easier (in therms of mana problems) than Holy.

On topic though, Scandore said enough I think. Be very carefull with pre shielding (it only lasts 15sec, avoid it if you can) Pre shielding the Tank on the other hand is something you'll have to do.

If you know that, say 30sec after the beginning of the fight, there will be heavy AoE damage, Get your 5 stacks of A/A. Activate some 5sec before the AoE damage and cast a PoH to pre-shield everyone with *can't remember the talent name*-shield thinghy. This should me enough.

Of course, if a dps is being focused, it is (mostly) his fault

Quote Originally Posted by JappieZ View Post
    Wrong. Holy is much more gear dependent (Disci is gear dependent, as more intel = more regen). But Holy doesn't rely on Intel for mana regen. Thus, With same gear, healing as Disci is easier (in therms of mana problems) than Holy.
    Actually, scandore872 is right, Disc has a harder time with mana in very poor gear. Especially if there's a lot of party wide damage.
    Int dependence isn't binary between the two either, at any gear level. Not sure what your point is there :/

Of course, if a dps is being focused, it is (mostly) his fault
    Yes!! ++

A lot of the party wide damage on trash is either CCable, Interruptable, or you can actually positionally avoid it.
    Especially in Zandalar heroics D:

Deleted
    Actually, the best advice I could give you for heavy (and dangerous) AoE damage such as some trash pulls in HoR, or VP would be to not hesitate to use Flash Heal. Flash Heal tends to be disregarded since the healing style changed, and that is because it is NOT mana-efficient. However, it can, and will prevent a lot of deaths if used right, and it will make the whole fight much less stressing, allowing you to "rest" when these periods of heavy raid damage are over. And don't forget healing is NOT about putting everyone at full health. It's about keeping people alive and at an acceptable HP% so they are not in immediate danger.

Example: Tank pulls the first trash in HoR, and at some point AoE starts to hit the rogue and the ret paladin quite hard. You were healing the tank, didn't react as fast as you could have and the rogue is down to 20% HP, retpal is down to 45%. You could try PoH and hope it lands before the rogue takes another random hit/cleave, but you'll have to PoH twice in order to get him out of the danger zone, and probably at least once more "just in case".
    Instead, I'd just throw him a Flash Heal and a PoM. He gets back to around 50-60% health AND the next hit will pop the PoM on him. I go back to tank healing while slowly getting the rogue and the ret paladin back up when I feel I can slow down on tank healing.

YES, Flash Heal burns a lot of mana, don't abuse it when not needed. But on some trash pulls it takes IMMEDIATE danger out of the equation quickly, which is what is actually important when you can't afford to put everybody at 100% HP.
    Last edited by mmoc3e0d19f624; 2011-10-10 at 04:48 PM.