10+ Year Old Account

Will SW:TOR have an authenticator system?

As the title asks, do you think BioWare/EA will introduce a physical Authenticator and/or one for Android/iOS/Windows Phone devices?

http://tagn.files.wordpress.com/2011...pg?w=300&h=259 - Is the only piece of evidence I've seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, there will be a physical authenticator. The Pre-orders include it. They probably will have a phone version as well.

Collectors: http://www.ebgames.com/pc/games/star...-edition/92635

Well they obviously will have a system that supports authenticators since CEs get one, so I'm sure they will let everyone else get one.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Yes, there will be a physical authenticator. The Pre-orders include it. They probably will have a phone version as well.

Collectors: http://www.ebgames.com/pc/games/star...-edition/92635
    physical preorders/CE im guessing? hm guess ill have to fork over an extra 5$ for my digital i pre ordered
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

$5-$10 for the authenticator would be my approximation. Throughout much of the year, people were discussing the need for authenticators on the swtor forums, some saying it would be one of the most important features for security (which it may very well be).

They are becoming very popular. SOE is adopting one now too for games, so it's becoming standard (yay!).

15+ Year Old Account
    It is clear that there will be a physical authenticator avalible probably the same time the game launches since one is bundled with the CE. Digital ones should show up next year.

They should've sent an authenticator with every single game copy. I'm disappointed by what could have been a very nice step towards keeping gold farmers out of the game.
    I would love to have nice things in game but the game is just too hard for me to earn them in.

Don't worry friend, let us go to the Blizzard store!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    Your in the wrong because ... you haven't been smart

Authenticators came with CE but not DDE or SE pre-orders =( Makes no sense

I've never considered those types of gadgets/gimmicks/cash-ins to be all that useful. I'm not careless with my accounts, I don't share them between games, my passwords are original and different and I don't give spam or bad websites a second thought past deleting them.
    If my account ever got stolen I may be singing a different tune but I have the worry to waste money on add-ons like that. I'm sure its useful to many people and puts minds at ease for the people whose life ends when their character is hacked but thats not me.

As long as it doesn't become mandatory for other options and stuff I don't mind them existing. When you can only do option X (i.e. have the expansion, do a realm transfer, choose a certain race, etc.) if you have an authenticator then it's a shameless money grab necessity rather then an optional security option.

as other people have said it does seem to exist for this game.

Just came of the phone with a friend who works at the Game Mania stores in Holland, and apparantly (I doubt it, but ow well), they will get authenticators to sell in the store.

An authenticator definitely comes with Collectors Edition.

I do think these should be shipped with every version however.I am pretty sure though they will have them for your phones too.Just like Warcraft.
    "Chaos boils in my veins."

10+ Year Old Account
    i wonder if my WoW authenticator will work for swtor

No, your WoW authenticator will definitely not work for SWTOR. SWTOR is not a part of Battle.Net nor is it at all related to Blizzard in any shape or form, however, the ways the authenticators work will be pretty much the same.

I would take a guess at within a year after launch there will be a digital authenticator system for SWTOR. I just hope it will use the same recognition software that Battle.Net uses, so you won't have to use it every single time you log in from the same location.

Like many others have said. It would have been a very friendly step towards introducing the players to a safe environment if all copies got an authenticator. Hardcopies could get a physical authenticator, with a choice of DLing the software and the digital copies could get the software with the option of ordering a physical one. The price for the authenticators would be included ofc, making the price go up a tiiiiny bit, but for that extra layer of security and that they made effort into having it at launch would have gone a long way for them to prove they give a shit.
    Last edited by Drihan; 2011-10-09 at 08:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    damn had to remind me of the battle.net part your right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    I've never considered those types of gadgets/gimmicks/cash-ins to be all that useful. I'm not careless with my accounts, I don't share them between games, my passwords are original and different and I don't give spam or bad websites a second thought past deleting them.
    If my account ever got stolen I may be singing a different tune but I have the worry to waste money on add-ons like that. I'm sure its useful to many people and puts minds at ease for the people whose life ends when their character is hacked but thats not me.

As long as it doesn't become mandatory for other options and stuff I don't mind them existing. When you can only do option X (i.e. have the expansion, do a realm transfer, choose a certain race, etc.) if you have an authenticator then it's a shameless money grab necessity rather then an optional security option.

as other people have said it does seem to exist for this game.
    I'd rather have a door lock and not need it, than not have one and damn well need it.