Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Could anyone give me some insight/opinion on my dinosaur?

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.4GHz (soon to be AMD Phenom II X4 840 Edition 3.2 GHz)
    RAM: 4,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 366MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Motherboard: FOXCONN A74ML-K (Socket 940)
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (ATI AIB)

My goal is to run gw2 on good/high if possible.
    Last edited by Antherios; 2011-10-10 at 01:46 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Antherios View Post
    Could anyone give me some insight/opinion on my dinosaur?

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.4GHz (soon to be AMD Phenom II X4 840 Edition 3.2 GHz)
    RAM: 4,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 366MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Motherboard: FOXCONN A74ML-K (Socket 940)
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (ATI AIB)
    "HD 4600 Series" doesn't tell the exact one you have. There's for example a large difference between 4650 and 4870. But well, if you're going to get a new CPU then you're going to replace the motherboard and RAM, too, so there's no point in commenting on the old setup anyways since it's going to be a completely new setup then.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just a speculation from one fan site- http://guildwars2builds.com/guild-wa...-requirements/

I'm still guessing it's like a higher standard version of Rift. Rift was like basic gameplay with fancy textures more or less. Guild Wars 2 looks like fancy models with fancy textures on them. But nothing's final as of yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    "HD 4600 Series" doesn't tell the exact one you have. There's for example a large difference between 4650 and 4870. But well, if you're going to get a new CPU then you're going to replace the motherboard and RAM, too, so there's no point in commenting on the old setup anyways since it's going to be a completely new setup then.
    Oh yes, sorry about that, its a HD 4650.
    But im not changing my Motherboard or GPU, just the CPU, and im almost certain that this current motherboard supports AM3 socket, so the Phenom should be compatible.

from what i understand they are taking the WoW approach on graphics
    that is OLD machines can play it
    also due to their amazing art team(their guys are like the elite of gaming or something :P as long as you like their style)they will not put a heavy load(that's relevant)on PCs finally they made a mechanism that the background is turned in concept art instead of real graphics which free a lot of resources.

Now keep in mind that the graphics of the game are top notch so i really dont know how will they pull it off.From the vids that i saw i mean WOW
    Last edited by antonatsis; 2011-10-10 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    heh they better hope it can run on on-board GFX.. thats what the majority has

since GW1 played fine on on-board GFX.

they'd be losing quite a bit of money
    but i'm sure most of those people, like myself, have upgraded to better computers..

Deleted
    Oh yes, sorry about that, its a HD 4650.
    But im not changing my Motherboard or GPU, just the CPU, and im almost certain that this current motherboard supports AM3 socket, so the Phenom should be compatible.
    Aye, I just checked that and yes, it does. But you're gimping the potential of the CPU by slapping it on a board with very slow DDR2. And I just checked Google about the GPU, atleast on http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-62...ce-review.html it looks rather... disconcerting.

So I don't really know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    Aye, I just checked that and yes, it does. But you're gimping the potential of the CPU by slapping it on a board with very slow DDR2. And I just checked Google about the GPU, atleast on http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-62...ce-review.html it looks rather... disconcerting.

So I don't really know.
    ill have to buy a new pc then, meh. More saving to make i guess.
    But does the ram speed really gimps the cpu a lot?, i would be just happy if the improvement from the athlon was decent enough.

Deleted
    ill have to buy a new pc then, meh. More saving to make i guess.
    But does the ram speed really gimps the cpu a lot?, i would be just happy if the improvement from the athlon was decent enough.
    You have the slowest of the slowest of DDR2, so even the slowest DDR3 would be a large speed-up. So yeah, it does gimp the CPU quite a bit.

But good thing you have a mobo that supports AM3, you can just buy the CPU now and use that while saving money for new mobo and memory, you don't have to buy them all simultaneously.

10+ Year Old Account
    MSI GeForce GTX 560
    Intel i7-2600 SANDYBRIDGE
    4 x 3.40Ghz (3.80Ghz Turbo!), 8 MB L2
    4 GB DDR3 RAM 1600 Mhz
    Kingston HyperX/Corsair
    CoolerMaster Elite 430 kabinet
    CoolerMaster GX 750 W PSU, 80+ CERTIFIED!

Is this good? I am thinking about buying a gaming computer, but have no idea what this stuff is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    MSI GeForce GTX 560
    Intel i7-2600 SANDYBRIDGE
    4 x 3.40Ghz (3.80Ghz Turbo!), 8 MB L2
    4 GB DDR3 RAM 1600 Mhz
    Kingston HyperX/Corsair
    CoolerMaster Elite 430 kabinet
    CoolerMaster GX 750 W PSU, 80+ CERTIFIED!

Is this good? I am thinking about buying a gaming computer, but have no idea what this stuff is.
    I sure hope you are trolling....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daegalus View Post
    I sure hope you are trolling....
    It's pretty clear he is.

Similarly, I've got a Phenom II quad-core at 3.20Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1800Mhz, 2TB raid-0, GeForce GTX460 OC with 1TB and two screens: one 24" at 1080p, and a 42" 3D-capable one at 1080p. I expect to be able to run GW2 fairly well, though I should replace my GFX card soonish and get one SSD.
    Last edited by mmoc3b091e0ba3; 2011-10-10 at 08:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    This is just a speculation from one fan site- http://guildwars2builds.com/guild-wa...-requirements/

I'm still guessing it's like a higher standard version of Rift. Rift was like basic gameplay with fancy textures more or less. Guild Wars 2 looks like fancy models with fancy textures on them. But nothing's final as of yet.
    The specs on that site, are more like a ummmm no. We'll be looking at a dual core at minimun to be honest, lower than Rift's minimun specs.

I think the best guess for minimun spec was actually made on GW2guru:
    CPU: ~1.6GHz core 2 duo/ 2.0GHz Athlon II X2
    GPU: intel hd graphics (like those packaged with the i3)/hd4250/nvidia equivalent
    RAM: ~1.5-2GB

and with what the demo machines run with at the expos they also guess for optimal specs to be:
    CPU: intel i5 quad/phenom II X4
    GPU: GTX460/HD6850
    RAM: 4GB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    The specs on that site, are more like a "ummmm no." We'll be looking at a dual core at minimum to be honest, lower than Rift's minimum specs.
    I don't really talk computer specs or any of that crazy stuff, I just found it to see if anyone else knew about it or if it helped out. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    hey guys, I'm not trolling. I don't know sh*it about computers. But I guess it's an good computer then?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    hey guys, I'm not trolling. I don't know sh*it about computers. But I guess it's an good computer then?
    Ask where ever you buying it from to drop the i7 2600 to a i5 2400/i5 2500k and up the GPU to a GTX 560Ti instead.

You don't need the hyperthreading a i7 2600 has, and the 560 is marketed in the wrong place. You could spend less on a 460 and or slightly more and get the 560Ti, both of which are better value.

If you don't know about computers, you'd be better off asking in the computer forum section on MMO or GW2guru and asking for advice, they'll both help you get the best bang for your buck and in the right places.

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    I don't really talk computer specs or any of that crazy stuff, I just found it to see if anyone else knew about it or if it helped out. :P
    It was aimed at the site not you. Look at my sig, it will make you smile!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Ask where ever you buying it from to drop the i7 2600 to a i5 2400/i5 2500k and up the GPU to a GTX 560Ti instead.

You don't need the hyperthreading a i7 2600 has, and the 560 is marketed in the wrong place. You could spend less on a 460 and or slightly more and get the 560Ti, both of which are better value.
    The 460s overclock quite nicely, it's a good way of saving some money to research a bit how well the card overclocks before buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    heh they better hope it can run on on-board GFX.. thats what the majority has

since GW1 played fine on on-board GFX.

they'd be losing quite a bit of money
    Not when your onboard GFX chip is several years old.

They won't be losing much money, the computer you have is simply just junk.
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2011-10-10 at 08:40 PM.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Deleted
    Not knowing the minimum specs for GW2 is the only reason I'm not buying a new PC yet. Plus the longer I wait, the cheaper the current gear will become or from a different viewpoint - gear will be better whilst at the same price soon enough.

Let's just make it simple.

If you can run Rift, you can run Guild Wars 2.

The graphics engine in Rift is so terrible in resources that I'm sure Guild Wars 2 engine will be much more efficient.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)