Thread: Trade chat

Trade chat

So I played warhammer and rift as an alternative to WoW. one of the biggest reason I turned away from both is because chat was filled with people bitching about the game in comparison to WoW. Actually positive or negative feedback was entirely in relation to WoW. Does anyone think this will be the case very long in ToR? Or do you guys think that people will be using ToR as the new basis for comparison? thoughts are nice

If you don't like it, turn it off? That simple.

No idea, might be breaking NDA.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by easybakejesus View Post
    So I played warhammer and rift as an alternative to WoW. one of the biggest reason I turned away from both is because chat was filled with people bitching about the game in comparison to WoW. Actually positive or negative feedback was entirely in relation to WoW. Does anyone think this will be the case very long in ToR? Or do you guys think that people will be using ToR as the new basis for comparison? thoughts are nice
    Well, people in WoW bitch about WoW and compare WoW 4.x to Wow 2.x, so I don't think it's going to stop... people like to bitch and complain because it gives them a voice and there is an audience...

Won't break NDA, but the quests being voice acted in combination with having to respond and wanting to respond to dialog makes me hardly even look at chat unless I'm LFG.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same thing happened in WoW with Everquest as it's predecesor.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    WoW is by far the most successful MMORPG to come out and for many people it's been the MMORPG of choice for many years. Therefore any new MMORPG will enevitably be compared to it, until there is a new one that's even more popular(and even then the comparisation will likely still happen).
    Becides, it's also a thing that many people have in common so it's a conversation starter. Someone mentions what WoW did better/worse than TOR, you respond and before you know it you're talking to the same few people for an hour reminiscing the good old days and decide to team up or even join a guild together.

Trade chat will be filled with folks bitching about the small stuff 24/7, but after a while those guys will fade. I mean, who really wants to buy & pay a sub to play a game they don't like?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by easybakejesus View Post
    /leave 1
    /leave 2

or whatever the equivalent command and channel is in swtor. I did that a lot in Rift and just depended on guild chat for information on world events and only joined if I had business or grouping to do. There will assuredly be plenty of people whining in chat about this or that being different than what they are used to. WoW is where the vast majority of the playerbase will be coming from or the game most of them have experience with so that is what they are going to compare it with.

10+ Year Old Account
    There will be complaints. I plan to endure and suffer through this marvelous game despite them.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

Every mmo now has people that just want to sit around talking about wow, usually to bash it because they're mad
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Give people 2 or more things to compare and inevitably they will compare them outloud. things don't even have to be alike to be compared it seems these days.

I once saw people comparing Call of Duty to Final Fantasy, was a strange strange topic.

trade chat will always be terrible on WoW trade chat is pretty much

guy1: "asks a somewhat normal question"
    guy2: LOL U MAD BRO?
    guy3: LOL BRAH IS MAD
    guy4: what should I spec my paladin
    guy2: frost
    guy3: blood
    guy5: shadow

it has to be better than WoW trade chat which is nothing but assholes and trolls

It will be filled with that sort of talk for at least the first year it's out. It will be really bad in the first month, then slowly fade away.

How to successfully troll a trade chat: Mention dirge, anal or wow is shit just as you leave the area

All trolling aside, I hope there will be enough shit to do outside the space hubs to not give people the TIME to sit around and spam

Quote Originally Posted by mystik View Post
    trade chat will always be terrible on WoW trade chat is pretty much

guy1: "asks a somewhat normal question"
    guy2: LOL U MAD BRO?
    guy3: LOL BRAH IS MAD
    guy4: what should I spec my paladin
    guy2: frost
    guy3: blood
    guy5: shadow

it has to be better than WoW trade chat which is nothing but assholes and trolls
    LOL sadly that is a typical moment of my server's trade chat :/ I really freaking hope that SWTOR doesn't turn out this way after a year.

I agree with the above post, majority of trade chat trolling is because people sit in town all day and are bored. Give them something to be occupied with that isn't a gimmick (like dailies..) and you'll see less chest beating going on

Deleted
    They better have an Auction House at launch. I've been playing Age of Empires Online for a while now, and trade is so mega spammy it's a joke. Funnily enough, nobody talks about other MMOs in AoEO's trade channel.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are culmination of things that have brought WoW's community to where it is currently. This is what I think they may be:

- Making the game more accessible means more people, more unsavory personalities, bigger audience and throw in some anonymity and it's just a training ground for trolls.
    - Handing out epics like candy on Halloween. Compound that with the accessibility and you have kids that think they're 1337 because they have just enough understand of their class and good enough gear from PUGs that they think know everything there is to know about the game and look down on others because of it. And ease of accessibility only perpetuates this disgusting trend of entitlement that we see these days.
    - LFD allows people to sit around in the central hubs waiting for ques to pop. 'Idle hands are the Devil's play things'. I mean, Blizz is just asking for it at this point.
    - Lack of truly time consuming content pretty much forces people to sit around and wait for que pops.
    - The ease of accessibility has also dramatically lowered contents duration so now Blizzard has had to change their development process to hammer out less content faster which in my opinion has lowered the over all quality of the entire game.

I'm sure there are some more and I could rant on and on about this for ages. Also please understand that I'm not an elitist person, it's just an observation that I've had from playing casually since Vanilla. Luckily BW appears to have made their own observations of WoW's evolution and are doing things to support a better community. Let's just hope they run with that idea.

Oh an as a lot of you have pointed out I'm sure the first few months after TOR's release is going to be quite the gong show that the Internet's 'best and brightest' will show up for.../sigh.
    Last edited by deathtakes; 2011-10-10 at 03:29 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, the fact that there won't be a cross server LFD tool, or server transfers, or name changing at the start may work in our favor. Asshats and trade chat douchers will find out they don't have the level of anonymity that currently exists in WoW, and there will (hopefully) be consequences to those actions which aren't easily escaped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    They better have an Auction House at launch. I've been playing Age of Empires Online for a while now, and trade is so mega spammy it's a joke. Funnily enough, nobody talks about other MMOs in AoEO's trade channel.
    They do. The Galactic Trade Network. (GTN)

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    They do. The Galactic Trade Network. (GTN)
    Heres a nice picture of it too, from the E3 trailer: