Seeking Computer Savvy People regarding Very Warm Power Supply

Hello, thanks so much in advance. I appreciate it.

I recently bought a new GPU and along that a new Power Supply to be able to run it. I replaced my power supply from a 250 watt to a new 460 watt ( from Cooler Master).

The Graphics upgrade is amazing to me BTW. (GTX 550 EVGA) ~ don't poke fun please, I am happy with it. Replaced my on board graphics. And my computer is an Emachines ET1161-07 (very modest I know, don't have much of an income atm)

My Question is the Power Supply gets very warm, at which point I stop running games because I am paranoid. What I mean by very warm is, my hand can cover the back of the pc where the power supply is comfortably but it feels very warm, near HOT but not uncomfortable.

When I run wow ( from 15-20fps, to like 60fps ) It takes like 1h - 1.5h to get to that point. When I run Starcraft 2 (graphics are very high) It gets to that heat in about 40 min and it seems the fan runs at full speed unlike when wow is on ,usually within like 1 or 2 levels depending on time. I play casual btw. The power supply also seems to cool down about 30 min after surfing the internet etc.

Will getting a Higher Wattage Power Supply (the GPU needs at least 400w) not have a heat issue in this way , so I can be more comfortable playing these games, or will spending like 100$ (payed like 45$ for current one) for another one not be worth it ?

Power supplies are meant to get warm, and they will when running under load. In Starcraft 2 in particular, as that game is both very CPU and GPU intensive. What model PSU did you get?

That GPU has a TDP of 116 watts, so it's not going to overdraw your power supply unless you got a real crappy one.
    Super casual.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if you're just weary about it being 'cooler master' and the psu being warm, that's what they do. They generate heat as a result of energy loss. The only power supply I can tell you purchased without confirmation would be the:
    COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-460-PMSR-A3 460W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171028

It's a pretty ugly psu, but it'll get the job done for the price and your limited budget. Also it does have a fan, but runs at a really low RPM if it's a 80mm fan and only produces 20db of sound, so its inherently going to be warmer than other counterparts. If you were putting your hand to it and burning yourself or actually felt uncomfortable then I would be worried.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    Power supplies are meant to get warm, and they will when running under load. In Starcraft 2 in particular, as that game is both very CPU and GPU intensive. What model PSU did you get?

That GPU has a TDP of 116 watts, so it's not going to overdraw your power supply unless you got a real crappy one.
    It is a Cooler Master 460w extreme power plus. And I appreciate your guys' feedback!

---------- Post added 2011-10-09 at 11:14 PM ----------

Yes, that is the one I got. Thanks for your feedback! ^_^!