Thread: NDA and EA

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The NDA is still up for two reasons. The first reason is as people have mentioned is because of story. The second reason is because they haven't fully developed their absolute final release build. As of now, they can still cut stuff or add stuff. Nothing gets the internet more angry than finding out about a feature only to have it cut prior to launch. By keeping the NDA in place, they avoid their forums being flooded with, "WHAT THE HELL, BIOWARE!?!?! WHY DID YOU CUT <Insert feature here>?!?!? THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME!!!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    The story is pretty much the only thing thing this game has going for it. It's KOTOR 3 with multiplayer thrown in here and there. They have to keep as much as they can hidden from the public. Personally, I like the way GW2 is handled better. There is no NDA, they are basically throwing all their cards on the table and telling other developers, "Give us your best shot."
    No, the story is not the only thing the game has going for it. GW2 more than likely does have an NDA atm, you just aren't privy to that info. That's probably why all the info on that game isn't revealed yet. Right? Are they not telling us the 8th class because they have something to hide? No. Don't jump in just to compare and get the final word on what game you think is better. All the cards are not on the table for either game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Just popping by to say that the thread title reminded me of this
    Funny, but not helpful. =)

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Id like to add that the runglockers coming in here saying "TOR sucks, GW2 is where its at!" need to GTFO. I dont know much about GW2, but if its anything like GW you can throw your immersion factor out the window with your glorified chatroom of a game....
    Not needed. It's not like GW1, and this kind of post only fuels fires.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    It isn't like that, but there's still nothing productive between G2 fanboys and TOR fanboys arguing on these forums. Yes, we've heard that some of you guys like GW2. That's just fine. But that doesn't mean that complaining about TOR and using GW2's features as justification is a valid argument; there's a considerable gap between simple complaining and reasoned criticism.
    This is true, and needs to be upheld.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    You might just be naive or blind but there is a NDA on every game before their release. You just dont know.

Now go back to your sub-forum we dont serve your kind in here.
    Please stop posting like this. It helps nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    lol Yet again, overly defensive SWTOR fans jumping on one of their own and labelling them a GW2 fanboi for the mere mention of the game. Guess the ignorance, misinformation and hatred isn't just limited to the official SWTOR forums after all.

Grow up guys.
    Moth, you know damn well it's the same thing reversed in the GW2 forum. Also, this sort of post doesn't help.

---------- Post added 2011-10-12 at 10:56 AM ----------

Please end this crap and keep things on topic without game or people bashing.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Moth, you know damn well it's the same thing reversed in the GW2 forum. Also, this sort of post doesn't help.
    We have heated debates, sure, we don't belittle people or dismiss their opinions because of what other games they may like or compare GW2 to. If you seen anyone being a douchebag like that over there, they deserve to be called out for it so hopefully they'll stop, like I'm trying to do here. For some reason it seems to just be accepted here and people continue with their hate, which is very unpleasant to read when I'm actually trying to read up on a game I'm interested in.

If that sort of post doesn't help, tell me what will. Reporting sure doesn't do anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not entirely true. I know cause I've been in those conversations in the past. =)
    Reporting does do things. We just aren't always available at the exact time the reports come in. When I saw the reports on this page, I came in, but was late. Many posts started draggin the thread down, and instead of just infracting everyone who had their own last words to get in (as I should have), I just gave one last general warning.

If you'd like to discuss the mod actions, hit me up in PMs please. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: /sigh. Trolls beat me to it ><
    Last edited by link064; 2011-10-12 at 06:16 PM.

We have heated debates, sure, we don't belittle people or dismiss their opinions because of what other games they may like or compare GW2 to. If you seen anyone being a douchebag like that over there, they deserve to be called out for it so hopefully they'll stop, like I'm trying to do here. For some reason it seems to just be accepted here and people continue with their hate, which is very unpleasant to read when I'm actually trying to read up on a game I'm interested in.

If that sort of post doesn't help, tell me what will. Reporting sure doesn't do anything.
    lol, you're joking right. There is an entire thread on the GW2 forums bashing the SWTOR community, which I will admit is a lot like the WoW community and that's terrible. But to claim it's all love and peace over there is crazy. We should all get along and play what we want. Case in point, i'm more interested in SWTOR but will was also going to pick up GW2 but after seeing the hate from both sides i'm inclined to only play the game I want to play the most, I mean why receive hate from both sides.

OT, the NDA will be dropped before release and there are a lot of reasons it's still up, I would guess mostly so they don't have to hear the bitching about changes that are bound to be made before launch. Just take a look at the decision they made to take out companion death's a while ago. People lost their already fragile minds, probably the same people that would have lost them anyway once their favorite companion died forever.

Quote Originally Posted by link064 View Post
    We must be reading completely different posts. The posts you're attacking and questioning their age/maturity over are clearly referencing a post that is mindlessly bashing swtor for being nothing more than "KOTOR 3 with multiplayer thrown in here and there" with story being "pretty much the only thing this game has going for it" and giving props to GW2, which is exactly what people don't want/need around here. I don't care if he has 10 or 100 posts in the SWTOR subforum, that kind of posting is not tolerated here.

Additionally, throwing pseudo-insults by challenging their age/maturity because they don't like what someone else says is not acceptable. If you have good reasons why you feel someone shouldn't be posting something, then let your reasons be known. However, insults are not an appropriate form of discussion.
    It's hardly mindlessly bashing, it's his opinion, and although it did have a whiff of trolling about it, the responses were not acceptable either. If you didn't agree, you could've just argued your case instead of being immature, and yes, insulting a game and it's players purely because it was compared favourably to a game you're a fan of, or because it was an opinion you didn't agree with, is immature. That's a fact, not an insult.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll be on the recieving end of Troll's flamethrower soon, so I'll let this drop, but in the interest of civility on these forums, please don't resort to petty bashing again, it just makes you look assinine.

---------- Post added 2011-10-12 at 07:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by monostat View Post
    lol, you're joking right. There is an entire thread on the GW2 forums bashing the SWTOR community, which I will admit is a lot like the WoW community and that's terrible. But to claim it's all love and peace over there is crazy. We should all get along and play what we want. Case in point, i'm more interested in SWTOR but will was also going to pick up GW2 but after seeing the hate from both sides i'm inclined to only play the game I want to play the most, I mean why receive hate from both sides.
    A thread making fun of ignorant people that even other SWTOR fans don't want to associate with is bad? In no way was it SWTOR hate, alot of us over there are also looking forward to the game and have our preorders ready!

10+ Year Old Account

And here's the line. More discussing this stuff results in bad news.

Please everyone, end it here and keep those kind of thoughts to yourself from here out.

Please everyone, end it here and keep the thoughts to yourself from here out.
    Not the face!!!

Please everyone, end it here and keep those kind of thoughts to yourself from here out.
    Who brought the marshmallows

Civil discussion on the NDA should never result in name calling, in fact I like hearing what people think about the NDA and the reasons they're keeping it up. Really it's to protect their investment, as someone else said here, every game has an NDA in their Beta testing, some take it more serious than others.

Having been in beta and see some of the stuff in there I can tell you that the NDA is to preserve what is keeping SWTOR special, it's new and it has a very awesome storyline that everyone that wants to play this game should and will experience for themselves, getting that spoiler would ruin it for a majority of the player base. The story isn't the only thing that they're protecting but it is a major part of it, so please don't take it as "the story is the only good thing in SWTOR". Really just let me say be excited for this game and really can't we all just get along? /grouphug and /marshmellows

lol Yet again, overly defensive SWTOR fans jumping on one of their own and labelling them a GW2 fanboi for the mere mention of the game. Guess the ignorance, misinformation and hatred isn't just limited to the official SWTOR forums after all.

Grow up guys.
    The story is pretty much the only thing thing this game has going for it. It's KOTOR 3 with multiplayer thrown in here and there. They have to keep as much as they can hidden from the public.
    I don't know this first sentence could easily be seen as an insult over the internet, it's kinda hard to get a feel for someone's intentions through text.

---------- Post added 2011-10-12 at 07:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Verth Aeyta View Post
    Civil discussion on the NDA should never result in name calling, in fact I like hearing what people think about the NDA and the reasons they're keeping it up. Really it's to protect their investment, as someone else said here, every game has an NDA in their Beta testing, some take it more serious than others.

Having been in beta and see some of the stuff in there I can tell you that the NDA is to preserve what is keeping SWTOR special, it's new and it has a very awesome storyline that everyone that wants to play this game should and will experience for themselves, getting that spoiler would ruin it for a majority of the player base. The story isn't the only thing that they're protecting but it is a major part of it, so please don't take it as "the story is the only good thing in SWTOR". Really just let me say be excited for this game and really can't we all just get along? /grouphug and /marshmellows
    Agreed. Also if you really think about it all the big major things are already known, we know how leveling will be handled, and we even know a bit about dungeons and raiding content. Other than the storyline and the nitty gritty numbers of things I don't really know what's so important behind the NDA that people feel like they just gotta know before they feel they can make an educated opinion on if the game is for them or not.

IMO, the NDA is till in place because there are still things that haven't been finalized. Case and point is the gear modifications discussion that's been going on. So, this is something that keeps changing and they don't need the community freaking out about it every time causing them to have to address the freaking out.

The NDA still being in place is in no way a negative thing to me.
    #TeamTinkers

Deleted
    I feel like breaking the NDA just to respond to some of the questions here, there is a lot I'd be able to clear up, having played the Beta for a while.

I have to admit, it's a bit weird to me that that the NDA is still up here roughly 2 months prior to release, but hopefully it will be lifted soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    IMO, the NDA is till in place because there are still things that haven't been finalized. Case and point is the gear modifications discussion that's been going on. So, this is something that keeps changing and they don't need the community freaking out about it every time causing them to have to address the freaking out.

The NDA still being in place is in no way a negative thing to me.
    I agree. I think their stance on the NDA is "what you dont know, wont hurt you" giving them the ability to change what ever they want and only have to deal with a small amount of beta testers freaking out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fredsterr View Post
    This...I think this is the only reason the NDA is still in effect. How many other MMO's have you gone into excited about the story or quest you're going to do? Not very many at all and for me not a single one.
    For me this is exactly why I'm glad the NDA is in place. There was one video where TB and Stephen Reid (I think it was him at least, it was one of the developers at any rate) are playing a Sith Warrior and they're talking about the game. Hell, the 10 minutes or so we saw (and reminder this was the VERY first quests, like they literally had just made the warrior) of questing has me so pumped for the game, not end game but actually pumped for the quests. I *really* want to know what happens with your rivalry with the other apprentice and the overseer.

Other than stories I don't see why they would keep up the NDA. I mean they've shown us and told us about their operations, we've got videos of them showing us flashpoints, videos and discussions about warzones, how they feel about hybrid-taxes, about ACs. Literally they've told us about everything other than the story.
    Krael, Sith Council of Untold Prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by Zachyveng View Post
    Literally they've told us about everything other than the story.
    This^ I don't see why people freak out about the NDA, there really isn't a whole lot they haven't disclosed and if you're a player that really must know the story before you buy a game then I say, where's the surprise?

I like reading the post where people are guessing what's going to happen and what will happen, it makes me giggle a bit since I have knowledge on it that I can't and won't share.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually surprised that there is STILL an actual NDA at this point. With the amount of people that have weekend invites and many with full beta invites I personally know more about this game then if there wasn't an NDA from friends and guildies who have played or are playing and keep silent about it.....Oh can't tell you anything though, there's an NDA

Deleted
    A point in favour of the NDA is that much of the game would be spoiled if some things got out. Like, what happens to major characters, your character and so on.

This is different from other MMOs we've seen where the story has either been unimportant or nonexistant. In SW:ToR the game is the story - they don't want you to learn it before hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Calling SWTOR an "EA game" is like calling WoW an "Activision game" or calling GW2 a "NCSoft game."

They are only the publisher. Whenever you think of WoW, you think of Blizzard, right? When you think of GW2 you think of ArenaNet, no? Well whenever you think of SWTOR you should think of BioWare, not EA.

Yes, EA has some pretty shitty Customer Support, but you won't be relying on them for that, you'll be using the BioWare support just like you use the Blizzard support for WoW and not the Activision support.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2011-10-12 at 10:01 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama