10+ Year Old Account

Huge difference between graphics card temperatures

I've got 2x GTX 580 in SLI, I'm very happy with the setup, but my second card bumps up to 75* while my first card is stable at 55-56 while playing games.

Any suggestions?

---------- Post added 2011-10-10 at 02:53 PM ----------

Okay, how do I resize a picture? XD
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-10-10 at 04:26 PM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

One of your cards will get hotter than the other in a SLI/crossfire setup. Hot air rises. Are these rear vented cards or do they actually exhaust in the case?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ptimo View Post
    One of your cards will get hotter than the other in a SLI/crossfire setup. Hot air rises. Are these rear vented cards or do they actually exhaust in the case?
    http://i.imgur.com/zIljk.jpg is the picture of them, I guess I can try move one of them and see if it helps?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/zIljk.jpg is the picture of them, I guess I can try move one of them and see if it helps?
    Yeah, if there's a pci-x slot lower definitely give them some space, the heat from the lower card has nowhere to go but to the higher one.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

I wouldn't move it. A lower slot could mean lower bandwidth as well, typically motherboard makers wire the top slots for more PCI-E lanes. Also, 75C is 20 degrees below the "danger" zone for the card, your temps are fine.

It's simply a matter of the top card's intake being partially blocked by the bottom card as well as it (often) having to do more work depending on the game's SLI optimization. Nothing to worry about here.

EDIT: OP, what case is that? I like the way the innards look.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Yeah, if there's a pci-x slot lower definitely give them some space, the heat from the lower card has nowhere to go but to the higher one.
    Can I still move my 1st card up while my soundcard is there? http://i.imgur.com/rJgpR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    Corsair Obsidian 800D, i must say it gathers alot of dust on the outer part of the case, dirt too :P But it's a great case, lots of room.

Armory

Deleted

Looks like a Corsair case

Quote Originally Posted by Zaffy View Post
    Looks like a Corsair case
    Thats an 800D. Goddam beat me to it XD

10+ Year Old Account
    2 cards will be inherently hotter than one. Hot air rises, and with two cards, one blocks the other cards fan/intake. Should be common knowledge.

Also, resize your picture. God damn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisfarreach View Post
    2 cards will be inherently hotter than one. Hot air rises, and with two cards, one blocks the other cards fan/intake. Should be common knowledge.

Also, resize your picture. God damn.
    I asked how to rezize the picture when i first started the thread

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Unless it's some craptacular board that is hardwired to run at 4x on lower slots, all slots should run at 8x speed with 2 cards being Sandy Bridge has 20 PCIE lanes.
    Yes, because my P8P67 Pro is a craptacular board.

Motherboard manufacturers typically hardwire the top slots for X16 or X8/X8 and leave the bottom slot (if any) as X4. Look around on Newegg, there are extremely few motherboards relatively that have X8/X16 as the third slot. They'll devote most of the available lanes to the top two slots to simplify board design and cost.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-10-10 at 05:32 PM.
    Super casual.

I just checked his motherboard, I didn't realize it had an NF200 chip, so my points are pointless as his third slot is indeed wired for X16. Regardless, the whole reason to move the card was to get better thermals, but the OP's temps are not nearly high enough to worry about, so it's more of a feel good thing.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-10-10 at 06:33 PM.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the "danger zone" temps? After about 2 hours of Sc2 campaign both cards were 75-85*
    And should I increase fan speed in nvidia control panel when im gonna game?

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    What's the "danger zone" temps? After about 2 hours of Sc2 campaign both cards were 75-85*
    And should I increase fan speed in nvidia control panel when im gonna game?
    Tjmax on nvidia.com states 97 degrees, you're still just fine. If it goes above 92 then you might think about raising fan speed, but the cards do that themselves when they heat up. They can take care of themselves if they're not in a case with really poor ventilation or a hot environment.
    Super casual.

As previously stated having more space definitely will reduce the heat however so will getting a different case. A few cases for instance the smilodon ugly and aweful yes but it actually has a fan bar that goes over the GPU central location. HAF series all have fans in this area on the box themself. These types of things lend themselve's heavily to dual card SLI/CFX.

Yeah, my CM Storm Scout, while kinda ugly on the side, has awesome GPU temps because of the side intakes.
    Super casual.

Yeah, my CM Storm Scout, while kinda ugly on the side, has awesome GPU temps because of the side intakes.
    most interesting thign i have seen is PCI fans that actually go into a pci slot on the case pull air from below or ontop of a GPU and exhaust out the back sounds more aesthetic than anything but im curious