Poll: Bad Idea?

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    This problem is a non issue because a) gold is completely available to anyone and everyone on equal footing, as it's only 'created' through in-game effort.. all you have to do is put in said effort, and b) at end game, you need enough gold to cover your repair bills to fully enjoy this game. Get a profession that generates enough cash to offset your enchanting / jc needs, or simply take those up yourself. Or get in a guild where everyone contributes.

Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

---------- Post added 2011-10-11 at 12:00 PM ----------

Gold only gets introduced in this game via quests / dailies and mob drops. That's it. No matter how much something costs on the AH, if someone purchases it, the gold for it was generated at some point via one of those two ways.

Having said that, overall the MF dailies chain probably are a significant cause of inflation. (on top of the amount of gold one gets from 80-85)
    People earned several k gold in a few hours from the trash money drops while solo farming the trash in firelands, new gold, with a much higher impact on the economy than this which has ZERO impact on economy.

Also, do you people know that there are people that buy entire accounts with several lvl 85 mounts pets etc, for real money, do you?

Again, this change has ZERo impact on the game economy, and many of the ones crying about this solo farmed firelands trashs introducing huge chunks of money (new money from trash drops) into the economy, hurting it a lot more than this change.

Also, do you like to farm gold from mobs and those for hours, money you dont need?? You are hurting the economy more than this.

If anything this could be a good thing, because it can possibly equal those that work for hours and play little time in the game with those that dont work and lure in the game all day.

I don't know how many of you have caught this yet, but:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now (since patch 3.2), and that was and continues to be well-received, and as far as we've been able to tell hasn't had any adverse impact to the game or economy - despite them selling for sometimes astronomical amounts of gold.

It’s potentially worth noting that no new gold is being introduced into the game's economy with those mounts or the new Guardian Cub pet.

Our goal with the Guardian Cub is to provide alternative ways for players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection. Even though this has been available a while now with the TCG mounts, this is obviously a new kind of way to deliver Pet Store pets, and we're definitely interested to hear your feedback and ultimately see how this will play out.
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...an-cub-dilemma

Currently, I'm strongly against gold selling or advancement to the game by real world money. However, I am tempted to agree with Vaneras that it won't effect the economy or provide anyone with a significant advantage over others. Especially since, the gold price of these pets will crash if any great number of players attempt to get gold from them.

Hopefully, the pets will be something they will watch as the blue post suggests. If it does become a significant gold buying method, I expect they'll probably shut it down.

One thing is certain, they're going to make a huge income in the first week of the sales. There are fools everywhere and they will buy them expecting to sell them for 100k prices, only to find that, when the initial CD expires, the market is flooded and their money has been wasted.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

Come back when half the WoW servers have been turned off and their remaining populations have been merged onto the still active servers(and WoW is still the most popular MMO on the market) and we'll discuss how this non-combat pet "killed" the game.

Deleted
    Blizzard is indirectly selling gold now. Though I don't think it's gonna sell for that much in game.

I like the intention behind it, giving it as a gift and such, but it seems to have such a dark side to it, as we see in a lot of threads since this came out. The fact its a "Oh hey heres a couple thousand gold, buy me this pet" ploy, makes me wonder what Blizz will release next.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    Like already spoken multiple times in this topic. Accept this way of marketing, and it won't be long before you buy your tiers for 25$ each bit. It's actually barely a half year away in the game who is likely to take half the wow population. I can't wait.
    What do you suggest, Ziggy? That we start and Occupy Blizzard protest until Blizzard changes how they want to run their business?

I'm really sorry about your glass half empty outlook, but until we're slipping on the slope, it's not the slippery slope. It's just a bunch of annoying people being (yet again) pissed off at Blizzard.

The sky isn't falling, Chicken Little.
    I'm a crazy taco.

got to love the lobsters continuing to defend Blizzard in this thread.

"its only a little bit more heat, stop complaining".

keep swimming lobsters. that water will keep getting hotter.

Cut down a little on the doomsday/animal talk please.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2011-10-11 at 06:16 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    got to love the lobsters continuing to defend Blizzard in this thread.

"its only a little bit more heat, stop complaining".

keep swimming lobsters. that water will keep getting hotter.
    See, unlike lobsters, people are able to get out of the pot when it gets too hot.

Nobody is forcing your or anyone else to continue to play. But please do continue to play the "my butt hurts" card.
    I'm a crazy taco.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    I LOVE this idea!

Why, you ask? Oh, I'll tell you why and laugh while typing!

Because everyone that buys it with the purpose of putting it on AH and getting loads of gold, is going to get SO disappointed! There will be loads of pets on the AH and the price will start at several thousand gold, but within 24 hours, it will be down to a few hundred, simply because there are so many of them. VERY few people will make enough gold to really notice it...
    I don't think this will be the issue most people have, yeh you're probably right with this pet there will be lots of them and the price will soon go down but the worrying thing is if Blizzard decide its been a success then what would be next? Right now it is just vanity pets but later it could be buying epics with real money and go down the Pay2Win route like some other MMOs have and for a company as successful as Blizzard that's just greedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing about this is... it doesn't matter if it settles in at an AH price of 2g or 2 million. It's the PRINCIPLE of legitimized gold-selling that I object to. The fact that you couldn't legally and legitimately purchase in-game progress with RL money was the one major difference between WoW and every other MMO out there. It's one step too far down the slope for me, and I'm not going to support it by continuing to pay for WoW when there are any number of other games that sell the same 'services' cheaper and without a monthly subscription fee.

When the first mount and pets hit the store: "It's just vanity items, Blizzard would never sell gold/gear/levels. They promised!"
    When RAF came: "Well, it's SORTA selling levels, but they'd never sell actual levels, gold or gear. They promised!"
    Now they're indirectly selling gold: "Well, it probably won't sell for very much. And they'll never DIRECTLY sell gold or gear. They promised!"

The previous poster's lobster analogy is precisely right... as is the one who said us lobsters can climb out, which is what those of us who believe in sticking to our principles (something Blizz has apparently forgotten) will be doing.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    None of the comments in this thread are objective. They are all subjective view points with zero actual concrete data or even counterpoints to back up your claims of it being a bad idea.

You have no idea the actual impact. You have no idea what their intent is with this system.

Your own subjectivity regarding your feelings of "RMT" via this item, is just your opinion. Please don't make it sound like fact, because you really don't have any idea. Additionally. Really, stop complaining. This isn't your game, it's not a Democracy. Just get over it. Find something else to whine about. In no way does it have a direct impact on any player if they choose to not participate in the purchase of the items.

I'd also like to point out that it is possible that they are forecasting low for this quarters profits, so they are introducing an item to see how much closer it gets them to their forecasts. That said, they are also trying a new method of distribution, due to concerns of fraud, which ran pretty rampant. So please, get off your high horses. It's generally sad, and entirely unreasonable and you have zero claim to be upset, or claim bad idea, or just overall act like your air of entitlement even matters.
    I don't know why some people don't understand this, but customers **ARE** entitled (to whatever the heck they think they are entitled to) the moment they fork over their cash. Because the simple fact is that if the company can not deliver, the customer will take their cash elsewhere. This is where the old adage, "the customer is always right," comes from. Because it doesn't matter if the customer is right, they still have 100% of the power and it is in the company's best interest to at least try and appease them.

I know many on these forums wouldn't care if WoW lost half of its subscribers, but decisions like this show just how much ATVI cares when it loses any money whatsoever. People aren't just engaging in idle complaining with this expansion, they're actually leaving in droves. Well over a million people left *before* the slow summer season (Q1 = Winter; Q2 = Spring) and before there was any serious competition. D3's pre-orders have also been surprisingly slow since the announcement of the RMAH. Just because things like this don't matter to you, don't think for a second they don't matter to customers in general. And customers matter. They're the ones with the money.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    People seems to be blind. This is just one more test to check out how much money they manage out of this. The more people buying from Blizz store this "data switches", the more pay to play games will become... slowly... but pay to play with the time.

Proof:

-Where did all the "grind mounts" go ? there are only drop mounts and blizzard store mounts now. Totally effort/worth less to buy one. Fortunately we still have some drop mounts.. but they are RNG afterall.

-Companions... they first were around Azeroth.. now they are just at Blizzard Store.

-Diablo equipment.. out of the controvesy... you can be some uber skilled player farming an item for 1 year while some other player might get it in a 3 minutes transfer.... where is the effort there?

If you can't see it.. or you think it's wrong.. i'm sorry but you are blind and kinda naive :P afterall this is business, and they'll try to get as much money from players as they can... i mean just check the rest of real life.. i can give you tones of examples... they really know how to sell and even convince people about their "dependency" to some items (iPhone as a good example).
    The same people who will defend Blizzard's decision to make something difficult-to-get will defend Blizzard's decision to make something pay-to-get. The only thing one post has in common with the next is that they are always, always, always on Blizzard's side. They don't bother being logically consistent. "Things which are hard to get are better" suddenly becomes "no one cares about those things, Blizzard should just remove them all from in-game and sell them - why do you care?"

Quote Originally Posted by k1037 View Post
    I don't know why some people don't understand this, but customers **ARE** entitled (to whatever the heck they think they are entitled to) the moment they fork over their cash. Because the simple fact is that if the company can not deliver, the customer will take their cash elsewhere. This is where the old adage, "the customer is always right," comes from. Because it doesn't matter if the customer is right, they still have 100% of the power and it is in the company's best interest to at least try and appease them.

I know many on these forums wouldn't care if WoW lost half of its subscribers, but decisions like this show just how much ATVI cares when it loses any money whatsoever. People aren't just engaging in idle complaining with this expansion, they're actually leaving in droves. Well over a million people left *before* the slow summer season (Q1 = Winter; Q2 = Spring) and before there was any serious competition. D3's pre-orders have also been surprisingly slow since the announcement of the RMAH. Just because things like this don't matter to you, don't think for a second they don't matter to customers in general. And customers matter. They're the ones with the money.
    Very sensible post which I don't think you should have taken the effort to write up. The Fanboys are Blizzard's new Eliteists, only their opinions matter. Regardless of whether or not a criticism of Blizzard is sensible or downright incoherent, they will be there to tell you that you're stupid, braindead, or downright moronic for daring to have an opinion.

If another 4 million leave, they'd still be saying things like "play the butthurt card", "See you next month", "You're no special snowflake", "Who cares what you think".
    The new Elite baybah, they'll even re-quote Blizzard blues as mindless justification to dispute your arguments.

You know guys, you can love this game and still allow people to have an opinion. especially when the poll shows clearly that the community is completely divided on the subject of the pet being a new currency medium.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I'm still peeved that in order to do this they basically nerfed the pet into a 1 character only pet as opposed to a pet for every character old and new!
    I am as well. I still have my Baby Blizzard bear and Whelping on my bank alt since I'll never get them on any of my new chars anymore.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by k1037 View Post
    The same people who will defend Blizzard's decision to make something difficult-to-get will defend Blizzard's decision to make something pay-to-get. The only thing one post has in common with the next is that they are always, always, always on Blizzard's side. They don't bother being logically consistent. "Things which are hard to get are better" suddenly becomes "no one cares about those things, Blizzard should just remove them all from in-game and sell them - why do you care?"
    See that bold part: That's an epic case of pot meet kettle.

This thread isn't ANY different than the rest of the threads where people complain about how something is the slippery slope, or is an example of Blizzard screwing players or whatever. The same tired arguments. And from alot of the usual complainers.

It really doesn't matter what Blizzard does or doesn't do. People will still whine about it and then say people who aren't whining or aren't OUTRAGE over this latest "mistake" are Blizzard defenders. Got news for ya: People aren't defending Blizzard as much as they're not being a bunch of reactionaries who need to get the outrage on.

---------- Post added 2011-10-11 at 08:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    Very sensible post which I don't think you should have taken the effort to write up. The Fanboys are Blizzard's new Eliteists, only their opinions matter. Regardless of whether or not a criticism of Blizzard is sensible or downright incoherent, they will be there to tell you that you're stupid, braindead, or downright moronic for daring to have an opinion.
    If you think that's the case then you're not good at paying attention. There are a few people around here who can express what they feel are legitimate gripes without acting like it's the end of the world. Sadly, most people can't do that and just sound like people who want to complain to hear themselves complain. And it's a constant stream of idiotic "the sky is falling" complaining over seemingly every damned thing Blizzard does (or doesn't do).

If another 4 million leave, they'd still be saying things like "play the butthurt card", "See you next month", "You're no special snowflake", "Who cares what you think". The new Elite baybah, they'll even re-quote Blizzard blues as mindless justification to dispute your arguments.
    The point is that if people don't want to be called butthurt, they should stop acting butthurt. Having a differing opinion is great. But don't couch it in tacit "Blizzard Sucks" rhetoric. And let's not pretend it doesn't happen. A lot. People need to act like adults and not little kids who aren't getting what THEY want.
    Last edited by tacoloco; 2011-10-12 at 12:30 AM.
    I'm a crazy taco.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    The thing about this is... it doesn't matter if it settles in at an AH price of 2g or 2 million. It's the PRINCIPLE of legitimized gold-selling that I object to. The fact that you couldn't legally and legitimately purchase in-game progress with RL money was the one major difference between WoW and every other MMO out there. It's one step too far down the slope for me, and I'm not going to support it by continuing to pay for WoW when there are any number of other games that sell the same 'services' cheaper and without a monthly subscription fee.

When the first mount and pets hit the store: "It's just vanity items, Blizzard would never sell gold/gear/levels. They promised!"
    When RAF came: "Well, it's SORTA selling levels, but they'd never sell actual levels, gold or gear. They promised!"
    Now they're indirectly selling gold: "Well, it probably won't sell for very much. And they'll never DIRECTLY sell gold or gear. They promised!"

The previous poster's lobster analogy is precisely right... as is the one who said us lobsters can climb out, which is what those of us who believe in sticking to our principles (something Blizz has apparently forgotten) will be doing.
    I actually just read the blue language discussing selling this pet for gold -
    While our goal is to offer players alternative ways to add a Pet Store pet to their collection, we’re ok with it if some players choose to use the Guardian Cub as a safe and secure way to try to acquire a little extra in-game gold without turning to third-party gold-selling services.
    I don't think you can be more explicit than that. This is a safe & secure way to buy a somewhat variable amount of gold.

---------- Post added 2011-10-12 at 03:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thornstar View Post
    The only reason I brought up the mounts and pets was because it affected how many were released in game. If this idea is popular enough it could affect gameplay. I mean they could stop developing bosses and focus more on pets and mounts if they sell well enough. I am not claiming this will for sure be the case but working in absolutes is not a good idea. So even if unlikely my idea could happen. Also logically since blizzard has now done a few things they swore to never do, they could in turn start selling even more in the store. I mean they could sell gear in the store, but make better gear available in raids. Even if unlikely you can not say it is not a possibility.
    A better way for them to approach is to make sure a certain quality of gear is always boe, so it will be in AH, and make sure there are mounts and pets and things that are boe you can buy for $ in their store to then sell to buy the boe gear. The blue quote
    "While our goal is to offer players alternative ways to add a Pet Store pet to their collection, we’re ok with it if some players choose to use the Guardian Cub as a safe and secure way to try to acquire a little extra in-game gold without turning to third-party gold-selling services."
    still has me in low-grade shock. They are being explicit in pointing out that this is a safe alternative to gold-sellers!
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2011-10-12 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacoloco View Post

If you think that's the case then you're not good at paying attention. There are a few people around here who can express what they feel are legitimate gripes without acting like it's the end of the world. Sadly, most people can't do that and just sound like people who want to complain to hear themselves complain. And it's a constant stream of idiotic "the sky is falling" complaining over seemingly every damned thing Blizzard does (or doesn't do).
    Nearly 360 posts later and you want to sit there and say that few of them are well constructed and legitimate? There are only few users in this entire thread who have behaved in a similar manner to your description above, and given that this is an entirely new direction by Blizzard, I daresay that this isn't one of your typical "FU BLIZZ BUFF MY CLASS AND NERF/UNNERF this raid or this game will die". If it was the latter I'd be agreeing with your quoted sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by tacoloco View Post
    The point is that if people don't want to be called butthurt, they should stop acting butthurt. Having a differing opinion is great. But don't couch it in tacit "Blizzard Sucks" rhetoric. And let's not pretend it doesn't happen. A lot. People need to act like adults and not little kids who aren't getting what THEY want.
    And my response to you would be why? so what if people hate Blizzard or think they suck? It is rhetoric, so what do you care? There are tons of examples of entities having a viable product but operate in a monopoly enviornment, very much like the case with WoW.

Off the top of my head, if you watch Wrestling, the main product on the market is WWE, and they've done a truckload to be reviled. Italian Soccer fans have issues with the FIGC (the governing body that officiates the matches) because of the Juventus scandal, etc, etc.... not all hatred is unfounded, nor is it irrational.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
    This has been going on in EvE for a while now (with game time cards), no IRS involvement whatsoever.
    Didn't say it would, but it could.... and I don't know how big Eve is compared to WOW. Would also depend on the number of transactions I guess for IRS to find it interesting. But in the end you can buy a pet for 10 gold, and there will be an average sales price on the AH. So if a person would sell lots of them with a price that is higher than average, he's now making money.
    I know it's a bit absurd but I wonder if it's too absurd to become true, law probably supports it.

---------- Post added 2011-10-12 at 11:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    It's a bad idea, and it's only one step away from the inevitable Blizzard Gold Shop.

The golden goose laid one less egg this week, so Bobby Kotick is sharpening the butchers knife.
    I don't know if Blizzard becoming gold seller is that bad. Even though I have worried feelings with this pet. What if Blizard sold gold? Then we would lose a lot of Chinese gold farmers and sellers in the game. That is a positive. Not saying I like the idea, hell I even oppose to the fact, but still what would be the real downside to it? As compared to the illegal gold sellers?

Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    Didn't say it would, but it could.... and I don't know how big Eve is compared to WOW. Would also depend on the number of transactions I guess for IRS to find it interesting. But in the end you can buy a pet for 10 gold, and there will be an average sales price on the AH. So if a person would sell lots of them with a price that is higher than average, he's now making money.
    I know it's a bit absurd but I wonder if it's too absurd to become true, law probably supports it.
    Except there's no way to turn that virtual currency back into real currency, so noone is "making money".
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche