Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do windows Vista and wow both fully utalize multi core processors ?

Ok so here is the deal I am currently using a duel core 2.60ghz processor and wow is able to max it out so I was considering upgrading to a quad core processor.

The thing is I refuse to upgrade to a newer version of windows because in my honest opion 7 is crap and windows8 looks like it's shaping up to be another black sheep like windows millennium.

So as the title says yes/no ?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    WoW is poorly optimized for multi cores, it primarily uses two cores with a third and fourth being minimally used. Vista supports multiple cores but well is terrible.

Deleted
    Vista is crap. W7 is good. 8 is a media-computer-disaster (so far)

But the fact that you don't want to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7... Wow, I don't think I've heard that one before if I'm being honest xD

Quote Originally Posted by Voxer View Post
    Vista is crap. W7 is good. 8 is a media-computer-disaster (so far)

But the fact that you don't want to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7... Wow, I don't think I've heard that one before if I'm being honest xD
    exactly what I wanted to say actually :P
    Windows 7 > Vista anytime. I just can't understand why you would like Vista, but say Win7 is crap :P
    (for now, from the little time I've spent on Win8 so far, I'd say it's like: Win7>XP>Vista/Win8 or something, for me at least :P)

and about the multi-core processors...
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    WoW is poorly optimized for multi cores, it primarily uses two cores with a third and fourth being minimally used. Vista supports multiple cores but well is terrible.

To be honest the only 2 real reasons I cannot stand windows 7 are
    #1 no option for the classic start menu
    #2 it seems like a dumbed down version of windows with a incomplete control panel that lacks the ability for power users to tweak the system.

and yes I would still be using Xp but it's a dinosaur and microsoft has phased it out by not releasing comparability updates for things like dx11
    Last edited by skrump; 2011-10-10 at 10:44 PM.

Deleted
    Power users to tweak the system?
    Lol, sorry what? Care to define a power user...

Deleted
    Theres no performance differences between vista and 7 anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 7 is actually pretty great. I think you'd be surprised.

As for multi-core usage, WoW primarily uses two cores, while barely using a third and fourth. (I believe)

Win8 uses less resources than Win7, therefore it's a disaster.

Deleted
    I'm already doubting whatever technical knowledge you think you have. Anyone with half a brain (not even that) is well aware the Vista is utter trash. W7 brought about all that Vista SHOULD have been, and yes, 8 looks like crap, trying to appeal to the tablet market. I'll be sticking with 7 and waiting for the follow up to 8 tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by himynameiswill View Post
    I'm already doubting whatever technical knowledge you think you have. Anyone with half a brain (not even that) is well aware the Vista is utter trash. W7 brought about all that Vista SHOULD have been, and yes, 8 looks like crap, trying to appeal to the tablet market. I'll be sticking with 7 and waiting for the follow up to 8 tbh.
    I'm AM doubting ALL technical knowledge you have. Everyone with a brain knows that Vista wasn't crap for people that actually knew computers and now after all system packs is pretty much just W7 with a different theme. 8 only looks crap if you think the Developer Preview was for anything but giving developers an idea of what Metro apps where supposed to look like.

well IF I could use cores 3-4 to take even 20% of the workload off of cores 1-2 I would consider it worth it do you think I could accomplish this without upgrading to windows7 ?

Deleted
    Vista is not terrible, just proves MMO-C is terrible when they employ moderators that don't have a clue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Catasucks View Post
    Vista is not terrible, just proves MMO-C is terrible when they employ moderators that don't have a clue.
    Vista is indeed terrible. Windows 7 is everything Vista should have been.

Deleted
    I'm already doubting whatever technical knowledge you think you have. Anyone with half a brain (not even that) is well aware the Vista is utter trash.
    It seems you have a quarter of a brain then, vista is fine.
    Yes, 4 years ago it was trash, how about trying it out now? Stop spreading your ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    I'm AM doubting ALL technical knowledge you have. Everyone with a brain knows that Vista wasn't crap for people that actually knew computers and now after all system packs is pretty much just W7 with a different theme. 8 only looks crap if you think the Developer Preview was for anything but giving developers an idea of what Metro apps where supposed to look like.
    even people that "actually knew computers" think Vista is crap, believe me suuuure, NOW after all service packs it's "pretty much just W7"; but that's exactly why it's trash. It needed all those service packs to be acceptable to begin with, and even then it's "pretty much", yet not even fully equal to Win7.
    (stupid example, but if one had to choose between Vista (pre-sp1) and Win7 (pre-sp1)...gl with option nr one it had way too many vulnerabilities)

The actual difference between 7 and Vista right now is mostly in the interface.
    Vista was bad in the beginning and then it got better, but people never stopped hating it. This and the fact that most people didn't have the required hardware to fully enjoy Vista when it was released.

10+ Year Old Account
    It all went downhill after windows 98

Quote Originally Posted by Arisfarreach View Post
    Vista is indeed terrible. Windows 7 is everything Vista should have been.
    Vista brought some pretty good changes to Windows: a searchable start menu, new graphics stack, updated APIs, taskbar previews, UAC*, IPv6...

*Yes, it's a pain, but it's also quite handy when it comes to preventing un-knowledgeable users from installing malware onto their machine.

It gets a bad rap, much of which is undeserved.

Vista was a performance decrease from winxp I will agree with you on that.

7 might be a performance increase and it might be solid as a rock but I absolutely hate the new start menu as well as the redesign of open windows themselves.

To be honest in my personal opinion microsoft tried to give windows7 the Macintosh makeover but unintentionally made it feel unfriendly to longtime windows users.

I will eventually upgrade too 7 once a cdkey for it slips into my hands but I cannot see dropping $200 for what I consider to be a visual disaster.