Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by patrixlul View Post
    All these complicated suggestions.

Lots of febreeze. Also there's actually sprays you can use that specifically get rid of smoke smell. Me and my friends used to use it to get rid of pot smell back when we were young. Look it up.
    Again just wanting to note that i am an actual carpet cleaner insured and all. Your right to a point, fabreeze is an odor neutralizer, but when fabreeze fades the scent lingers because of oils *in your case the oils in your pot leaves* and these cling to walls carpet, anything in the room. Only way to actually get the smell off is to remove the oils by thee "complicated methods"

1) acid rinse *like the vinegar solution*
    2) repainting walls to cover the oils
    3) OZONE Machine like i suggested *the extra oxygen in the room will eat away at the smoke smell and neutralize the oils based on how atoms especially like oxygen like to bond with other atoms. Changing chemical composition entirely.*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Musky View Post
    Vinegar can remove some of the smell
    GFT. And usually this works. OP's problem is that his/her's roommate has been a chainsmoker for a long time, so vinegar just won't cut it. It works if you've had a rough weekend with parties etc in a non-smoker home. But over several months/years, the stench of cigarettes won't just go away with putting up bottles with vinegar. I suggest rug-cleaning, wash the walls thouroughly, and give em a fresh layer of paint. Should take most of it anyway.

Deleted
    This thread makes me sad
    Been renting a house for like a year and smoke inside every day.
    I didn't even realise that tobacco builds up on your walls and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Neccros View Post
    This thread makes me sad
    Been renting a house for like a year and smoke inside every day.
    I didn't even realise that tobacco builds up on your walls and stuff.
    I wouldn't expect your security deposit back =-p

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anger78 View Post
    Edit:
    Talked to a friend of mine who works for a property management company. He tells me there is really no "quick" fix but what he suggested is:
    1. sprinkle baking soda on any furniture/carpets in the room. Let it sit overnight and vaccum it up in the morning.
    2. Wash any glass in the room (mirrors, windows, ect) with vinegar frequently
    3. Set boxes of baking soda / bowls of vinegar around the room to absorb the odor.
    This right here. Especially the last one afterwards. Vinegar absorbs odors as well as baking soda does if not better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    I wouldn't expect your security deposit back =-p
    Why? Odds are if he's smoking inside, it's a place he's allowed to smoke in. I smoked in an apartment for 18 months, never once gave a thought about the smell, and they didn't care when I moved out and got my $500 back.

Deleted
    I'd imagine you'd need to use a powerfull steam cleaner, i'd be tempted to just hire a professional cleaner to ensure the smell is removed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I put my nose in a cup full of juice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres a cleaning company I used to clean the smoke smell off of stuff after my parents stopped smoking called Zerorez. They did a phenomonal job of removing the smell and then you just febreeze once a week or even once a month after they're done and it should come right out.
    Tanks are made of steel, blood and a shield, not magic and twigs.
    My Warrior My Shaman

get the carpet cleaned and you will have to literally wash the walls.
    Yes you are still the worst moderator on these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    So unless you have a source besides your rectum, we'd appreciate if you didn't spread misinformation

10+ Year Old Account
    Backing up the baking soda suggestion. I'm not scientifically inclined enough to understand how and why it works, but that stuff will soak up the stench of anything foul! I collect some old 80's toys and if they come from a smoker's home, zipping them up in a bag with baking soda sucks the smell right up.

But it probably wouldn't hurt to repaint the walls and steam clean too. >_>
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Avoid Febreeze and all other spray fresheners...they only cover up the smell temporarily. Your only recourse in getting rid of the cigarette smell is to prime/paint the ceiling, walls and trim and professionally steam clean the carpet. Make sure that everything that is left in the room (ie: furniture, bed, curtains, etc) is removed or washed thoroughly. And if there is a mattress in that room, the smell won't leave until the mattress does.

Deleted
    Steam cleaner is the only sure way to get rid of the smell, not mask it.
    If you want a quickiesolution, use all the baking soda and vinegar tricks on toppa scrubbing like hell and use strong smells, like myrrham to mask the smoke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Locris View Post
    Recently one of my roommates moved out and was also a chain smoker. So her room smells dank as hell and I've tried almost everything. I tried airing the whole room out, tried the carpet odor eater thing. Air freshners, odor neutralizers.. you name it.

So my dilemma is this.. Next week there are couple of people coming to check out the room and I know for a fact 99% of 'em will be repulsed by the smell.

Any ideas in order to get rid of the smell and potentially gain a roommate? (Also mentioned in the ad that non-smokers only)
    Wash flooring. Repaint walls.

people before we moved into this apartment smoked like crazy. we just steam cleaned the carpets, washed the walls, and aired it out. fabreeeze worked ok. then just give it time. all you can do

The best way to cover up cigarette smoke is to smoke weed

Go out, capture a skunk, throw it in her room, and poke it with a stick, should get rid of the smell right away
    85 - Fire Mage - Foxytrott
    85 - Protection Warrior - Foxtrott
    85 - Restoration Druid - Pretzels
    85 - Combat Rogue - Oonai
    85 - Protection Paladin - Amberhorn
    Listed in the most played order

The only thing that works short of a full repaint is steam cleaning. But it depends on a lot of things.

The only SURE thing is for you to scrub clean everything with a brush (furniture) to pressure clean the carpets if you have carpets, and a full repaint.

And from now on include -Non Smoker- in the rent conditions.

Really we are in a moment where there are way more non smokers then smokers and the number of smokers is in a steep decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Locris View Post
    Recently one of my roommates moved out and was also a chain smoker. So her room smells dank as hell and I've tried almost everything. I tried airing the whole room out, tried the carpet odor eater thing. Air freshners, odor neutralizers.. you name it.
    only)
    How much do you want to spend?

Cheap.
    1. Wash all surfaces with disinfectant and soak mix, leaving windows open while you can.
    2. vacuum the carpet twice, then shampoo it, then vacuum and scent it.
    3. replace furnace filter.
    4. Air out whole place for days.

Expensive.
    1. Wash all surfaces then repaint walls (new paint smell is better than what you have)
    2. Replace carpet and padding
    3. Get all duct work cleaned (for heating/cooling)
    4. Clean all common areas cloth items (like sofas/etc)
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Hold out for the 1% that are smokers. They won't even notice.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!