Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Any info on the Thief's abilities?

I'm interested in rolling a Thief, so far the only video I've seen of one came from TotalBiscuit which showed off some of its PvP abilities (their heal/vanish ability looked kind of useless as a Vanish).

Anyone know where I can find more info on this class?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    The heal move isn't meant to be a vanish. It's meant to be an emergency defensive cool down. If you're expecting the theif to play out like a rogue in WoW then I don't think you will get exactly what you want unfortunately.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    In PvE, when the Thief uses stealth, it breaks aggro (at least thats what i heard Colin say in an interview). So that skill not only heals you, but also lets someone else take the damage. In PvP its a little less useful, but still works well as a heal, and maybe to get away if you're still low on hp.

As Mif said, check the wiki, it has all the info known so far about the professions and their skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    The heal move isn't meant to be a vanish. It's meant to be an emergency defensive cool down. If you're expecting the theif to play out like a rogue in WoW then I don't think you will get exactly what you want unfortunately.
    Aye, you can't sit in stealth all the time as a thief. Stealth is very tactical and has a duration. Stealth will be used as a way to quickly enter and exit combat either offensively or defensively, not to be the ability you absolutely depend on in order to get your job done.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

The thief plays like a guerrilla fighter. In and out fast and quick, lots of cool shadowstep type moves. Get in, hit hard and fast, get out. Keep moving. And doing stuff like hitting from range quickly then, BAM I'm in your face stabby stabby, and then, OMG at range shootin ya again!! I see it as kind of like playing a fast moving field attacker. You can be anywhere quickly and you get to confuse people by never being where you just were and being somewhere unexpected.

Stealth is only a survival mechanic/way to do what I described above.

Of course, Thief is likely to be my fist prof choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    I'm interested in rolling a Thief, so far the only video I've seen of one came from TotalBiscuit which showed off some of its PvP abilities (their heal/vanish ability looked kind of useless as a Vanish).

Anyone know where I can find more info on this class?
    theres a shadow major trait that blinds every enemy around you whenever you stealth so if you have that then withdraw, cloak and dagger and all the other stealth moves become REALLY useful

EDIT: none of the stealth abilities (at this time) are permastealth either
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    theres a shadow major trait that blinds every enemy around you whenever you stealth so if you have that then withdraw, cloak and dagger and all the other stealth moves become REALLY useful

EDIT: none of the stealth abilities (at this time) are permastealth either
    It's worth pointing out that blind in GW2 means:
    "a non-stacking condition that causes the target's next attack to miss"

10+ Year Old Account
    That is worth pointing out! I've just been assuming that it was a -50% accuracy for X-seconds or something similar. I guess that makes it a little less overpowered.

The Glowing Piece of Radical Rock!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    It's worth pointing out that blind in GW2 means:
    "a non-stacking condition that causes the target's next attack to miss"
    hmm i guess i forgot to mention that part

of course attacks typically have something other than damage tacked on to them in GW2 either from the skill itself or traits
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    hmm i guess i forgot to mention that part
    As someone who has played nothing other than a Rogue for 4 years, when I first heard about the Thief having an AoE blind a few months back I crapped my pants with OMGOP. Then I hit the wiki and found out that Guild Wars blind and WoW blind are very different things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    As someone who has played nothing other than a Rogue for 4 years, when I first heard about the Thief having an AoE blind a few months back I crapped my pants with OMGOP. Then I hit the wiki and found out that Guild Wars blind and WoW blind are very different things and it made a bit more sense.
    i thought GW1 blind where you have a 90% chance to miss (extremely short duration, even shorter than the short GW1 durations) then saw the new description and thoguht "wow, thats still really good...."

if you build around it id think you can negate a lot of damage through blind alone, esp if you anticipate certain moves
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I didn't know stealth wasn't permanent, and I prefer it that way! No more annoying perma-stealthers is a good thing. Also, holy shit are those moves super awesome looking! That AoE technique where the Thief jumps upside down and spins her blades is the most bad ass move I've seen in any MMO! I wonder how that move will look on a larger built Charr though.

The only problem I'm seeing with Thief is that they don't seem to have much group utility. For example, a Guardian can put down walls and buffs for the group, an Engineer can throw down heals and turrets for the group, an Elementalist also have buffs and can put down firewalls to give arrows/bullets fire damage as well.

What can a Thief do to enhance their group?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

You should check out this video. This guy uses pretty much every weapon available to thieves and shows off a ton of the skills. Footage starts at about 1:40

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    What can a Thief do to enhance their group?
    I'm seeing that they're more of the DPS/Controller type. I would even say that they're probably the best dps (they have a lot of damaging abilities) and not so much in the support group like the others. But that's what makes them unique I suppose. They dish out damage while others watch their back.

10+ Year Old Account
    some badass skills there ;P

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    You should check out this video. This guy uses pretty much every weapon available to thieves and shows off a ton of the skills. Footage starts at about 1:40
    this video is an excellent display of what a thief can do and really displays the bow skills well, amongst others. The in and out and field movement is what the thief is.