Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Datacrons - When to collect?

So guys, when do you think is the best time to bother with Datacrons? It's a hard choice cause i'd love to explore and they provide a great reward for doing so, but then again the story content is so great, and at max level should be able to get around a lot easier.

What will you be doing?

Oh, and if you don't know what Datacrons are, we just did a new video explaining them (and the Codex too!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Before even watching the video I know what I'll be doing.

I'll pick up any that aren't extremely out of the way while I level up but I'll get the majority once I am at max level, or at least when I have the fastest mount. By that time there will be tons of guides about where they all are and I won't have to take a large amount of time hunting for them
    Last edited by Shamburger; 2011-10-12 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Spelling

It's sad because Datacron finding will just become something that raiders/PvPers will just feel required to do to optimize their toon. I personally would've preferred if Datacrons were random rare spawns around the worlds that give you cool things like credits or pieces to a rare mount or something.

It's nice to know you made this better video though and took our comments (or at least I think you did). The background music wasn't as obnoxious this time, your voice was better and the intro was just right. I also noticed that you're not saying "swotor" anymore
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    It's sad because Datacron finding will just become something that raiders/PvPers will just feel required to do to optimize their toon. I personally would've preferred if Datacrons were random rare spawns around the worlds that give you cool things like credits or pieces to a rare mount or something.

It's nice to know you made this better video though and took our comments (or at least I think you did). The background music wasn't as obnoxious this time, your voice was better and the intro was just right. I also noticed that you're not saying "swotor" anymore
    I hope that isn't the case really. BioWare obviously want's to encourage people to go out into their world and "see" their hard work. Many players will probably just rush through content like a starved kid in a cake shop (and i dont blame them), so it's one way to get them back out there, or encourage a few detours along the way.

Really though, optimization in swtor, im not sure if it'll be as big of a thing as it is in other mmos like wow. But only time will tell i suppose. Obviously there will always be those "kind" of players, but whether the majority will idk.

RE video - Yes I listened to all you're feedback on the last topic, and I did my best to improve upon it. You all made a lot of sense. I wanted to do better so thats why I asked for opinions. Been so busy working on this vid to respond to it though, but yeah thanks for that feedback and i'm v.happy if you like it better now xD

Collect what I can as I'm leveling, and then come back and find them all during periods I don't feel like leveling, or after 50.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

I liked your video! Informative and nice editing work

It also contained quotes and hard data, screen shots, and some video footage (for entertainment while listening).

Thanks!

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    very informative video, first I am hearing about the concepts too so thanks for the info!

Your best bet would be to achieve a level significantly past the area/planet, then go back and collect them. Inevitably, there will be datacrons in difficult (heroic) areas, or located so far off the normal path that it would take an unreasonable amount of time to get them without a mount.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good video, getting a tankspot vibe

I am quite tempted to treat SWTOR differently than I do WoW. As in:

With WoW, I read up on everything. I find out things beforehand, like what's coming in a new patch or the best place to farm a certain item (or how to get it in the first place). This means there's no surprises for me. I've missed the surprise factor of gaming, not knowing what to expect.

SWTOR... Sure, I've read up on some stuff. I knew what Datacrons were. But am I going to find a guide on where to find them all? I'm thinking I'll try to avoid any sort of guide and just figure it out for myself. I'm not planning on getting into raiding or high end PvP, so I can probably afford to take it at my own pace, exploring all this stuff and figuring it all out for myself.

Hopefully I'll get some of the surprises back that I've missed so dearly in WoW. I mean, I like being a 'master' of WoW, but I have missed that feeling of being completely new and lost in this gigantic world (Universe, even). I hope to get that back in SWTOR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Hopefully I'll get some of the surprises back that I've missed so dearly in WoW. I mean, I like being a 'master' of WoW, but I have missed that feeling of being completely new and lost in this gigantic world (Universe, even). I hope to get that back in SWTOR.
    That's exactly what is missing from WoW for me also Kisho - I remember when i first started WoW, I wandered into Kharanos for the first time and thought it looked epic, then a few minutes later I found IronForge, which pretty much blew my brains out.

I don't plan to read much into SWTOR before it launches, I like wondering "What the hell is that over there?" or "What the hell is that thing?!".

I just don't get that from WoW, haven't for a couple of years.

Deleted
    I was like that too when I first walked into Stormwind. Unfortunately the need to just jump right into a raid in attempt to get server firsts, required that we did PTR testing, trawling forums, datamines etc, to get that edge. I'm definitely going to take 1-50 casual and verrry slow and we'll see how long I can keep the temptation to read spoilers for raids at bay.

Deleted
    Picking some up at random, when I am close, eventually at level 50 with a mount/speeder bike thing I will gather the rest of 'em.

10+ Year Old Account
    My best advice for you: Keep doing the videos no matter what people say.

I gave up due to lack of comments/views, don't follow my path. You are really good at making a slick video, and with time your comfort ability with your voice and sound levels will get better. Keep going and ignore the haters.

Deleted
    Pokacrons, gotta get em all.

Part of me really wants to search for datacrons with no information, another part of me wants to just look them up. :P I think what I'll end up doing is leveling while keeping an eye out but not really fully searching. Whenever I get bored of questing I'll go and look up the general areas that some of the datacrons are and go searching. That way I don't feel like I'm wasting my time searching in areas without anything to find, but I also will get to do some actual exploring. I did look up some (leaked) info on datacrons just to get an idea for what they were and there were already some guides that gave a step by step, jump by jump guide to finding them. I definitely don't want to use that approach.

It's a tough call, really.

they give a handful to one stat, but so it'd give you an edge while leveling if you know where to find them.

But on the otherhand coming back with a speeder would make the hunt much easier (and they'll likely be documented a bit better too.

I my self will be lvl'ing normally but will do some exploring to check things out, exploring means more XP so i level up some to make the next quest hub slightly easier. I love the Datacron idea, reminds me a little bit of EQOA CM system. Even thou you are at max lvl, you can still make your character stronger with other things besides gear and talents something that makes the grind fest worth it.

They won't be easy to find and are in out of the way places.

10+ Year Old Account
    When Im leveling and stumbling uppon them, later on I'll fetch them all during that short pre-operation stage to gain those extra stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water