Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Technically not since Sandy's are locked at 63?

---------- Post added 2011-10-14 at 08:27 AM ----------

Which was sort of my point. If you're basing your ideas on BD's performance on leaked tests and then AMD delays release because it's not up to par, then you can't rely too much on said tests.
    Note: I'm on your side, more or less. ;p

Phenom II's are locked somewhere in the 60s Celsius, so unless they have some ridiculous cooling... they can't OC much simply due to temperature shut downs. lol.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically not since Sandy's are locked at 63?
    Originally it was 57 (are we talking multiplier here, btw?) but I think newer batches pushed the limit. Doesn't matter much as in theory and with LCS/air you won't set your multi to 57. The same with Phenom II BE's, if they have absolutely no limit, they will still get limited by heat or voltage at some point. I don't know about dominating but the overclocking headroom on a Sandy K is pretty darn great in most cases.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Note: I'm on your side, more or less. ;p

Phenom II's are locked somewhere in the 60s Celsius, so unless they have some ridiculous cooling... they can't OC much simply due to temperature shut downs. lol.
    I know, just saying that 'potentially' Phenoms will clock better than Sandy's, Sandys are locked on the multiplier and you can't really jack with the BCLK. I'm just being nitpicky with your terminology, I get what you mean.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I think you somehow assume we read all of your posts... I certainly didn't.

And honestly it seems like you are the one trying to get the last word.. considering you didn't stop posting after you wrote the above.
    Sephiracle is my babe. Of course the obvious blood elf girl wants to talk around the big male night elf... DUHHHH.

---------- Post added 2011-10-14 at 02:43 PM ----------

I know, just saying that 'potentially' Phenoms will clock better than Sandy's, Sandys are locked on the multiplier and you can't really jack with the BCLK. I'm just being nitpicky with your terminology, I get what you mean.
    then quit it gahhhhh!! >_< You own a Sandy too! You know how murderous they are! :P
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sephiracle is my babe. Of course the obvious blood elf girl wants to talk around the big male night elf... DUHHHH.
    People don't play male belfs do they?
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    People don't play male belfs do they?
    Avatars can speak novels about someone. ;P
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Avatars can speak novels about someone. ;P
    Eh, best looking toon :P, ok, no more OT, I don't need another infraction. lulz

10+ Year Old Account
    It's being blamed on the operating system now. The processor is capable of using instruction sets and variables that don't even exist in current operating systems, i.e. Windows 7 (and therefore all apps/games/benches on Win 7) is essentially bottlenecking the FX chips - atleast that's what I've read.
    Designing a CPU that nothing can make use of yet, now that's futureproofing. Wait, how did they even do that? o_O

It's in AMD's best interests to work VERY closely with Microsoft to help resolve performance issues - who knows, maybe with a framework patch we could see a ginormous boost? Or maybe we'll have to wait for Win 8? Staying positive here >_< it's partially thanks to AMD's competition that Intel came up with the monster that is Sandy Bridge.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    It's being blamed on the operating system now. The processor is capable of using instruction sets and variables that don't even exist in current operating systems, i.e. Windows 7 (and therefore all apps/games/benches on Win 7) is essentially bottlenecking the FX chips - atleast that's what I've read.
    Designing a CPU that nothing can make use of yet, now that's futureproofing. Wait, how did they even do that? o_O

It's in AMD's best interests to work VERY closely with Microsoft to help resolve performance issues - who knows, maybe with a framework patch we could see a ginormous boost? Or maybe we'll have to wait for Win 8? Staying positive here >_< it's partially thanks to AMD's competition that Intel came up with the monster that is Sandy Bridge.
    That's really bothersome, especially how if AMD prefers to excel in the workstation market rather than the PC/Gaming market then they should understand that companies don't exactly upgrade OS' on a constant basis. Hell, I work for a pretty large corporation and we're using XP still. >_>

10+ Year Old Account
    That's really bothersome, especially how if AMD prefers to excel in the workstation market rather than the PC/Gaming market then they should understand that companies don't exactly upgrade OS' on a constant basis. Hell, I work for a pretty large corporation and we're using XP still. >_>
    yeah my college has a ton of Windows XP wielding computers. =S
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Search "FX 8150" on newegg... the 2 results come back as "out of stock."

-.-
    You do realize that AMD didn't produce a whole lot of these the first batch. Remember they had manufacturing problems, the FX chips we are getting are the only ones that were worth selling.

Not to mention, I'm sure some folding@home farms would love to test out this chip with -bigadv. It may be a shoddy implementation of 8 "cores", but with how saturated an i7 would get, BD might show an advantage with 8 heavy threads over an i7 ramming two heavy threads down one pipe.

Power consumption really is only ludicrous when the chip is overclocked too, keep in mind. Llano is made on the same process, and those sip power more or less. Clock an FX down to Llano clock levels, give it folding work, and it should be alright for that. Note that this is my speculation, and entirely a niche application. Trying to justify it being out of stock so fast rather than it being good (it sort of isnt right now).
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Not to mention, I'm sure some folding@home farms would love to test out this chip with -bigadv.

Power consumption really is only ludicrous when the chip is overclocked too, keep in mind.
    Your electrical bill gets hit for 12735925. You die.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that AMD didn't produce a whole lot of these the first batch. Remember they had manufacturing problems, the FX chips we are getting are the only ones that were worth selling.

Not to mention, I'm sure some folding@home farms would love to test out this chip with -bigadv. It may be a shoddy implementation of 8 "cores", but with how saturated an i7 would get, BD might show an advantage with 8 heavy threads over an i7 ramming two heavy threads down one pipe.

Power consumption really is only ludicrous when the chip is overclocked too, keep in mind. Llano is made on the same process, and those sip power more or less. Clock an FX down to Llano clock levels, give it folding work, and it should be alright for that. Note that this is my speculation, and entirely a niche application. Trying to justify it being out of stock so fast rather than it being good (it sort of isnt right now).
    You should totally have your office or company or whatever get an FX-8150 computer and you should have it fold so we can find out how it does! :P
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    You should totally have your office or company or whatever get an FX-8150 computer and you should have it fold so we can find out how it does! :P
    I'm pretty much the only person in this office that knows what a CPU is in the first place.

Everyone here says CPU and is referring to everything within the chassis, plus the chassis.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty much the only person in this office that knows what a CPU is in the first place.

Everyone here says CPU and is referring to everything within the chassis, plus the chassis.
    Computer Power Unit!!!

You should still find out. :P
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell, I work for a pretty large corporation and we're using XP still. >_>
    Oh heck yeah, I'd say the majority of the world's IT corporations are still running XP workstations. Here at Telecom NZ all workstations are XP, while almost all the servers have been migrated from 2003 to 2008 - as long as the server backbone remains updated and secure, the workstations will continue to run happily until Microsoft terminate XP support in 2014 (or was it 2016?).
    The combined cost of re-licensing for Win 7, training staff/engineers, building up support and getting everything fully compatible etc is simply not worth it.
    Also all the machines here are E8400's + 2gb RAM...Win 7 wouldn't exactly help performance.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-10-14 at 03:32 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh heck yeah, I'd say the majority of the world's IT corporations are still running XP workstations. Here at Telecom NZ all workstations are XP, while almost all the servers have been migrated from 2003 to 2008 - as long as the server backbone remains updated and secure, XP will continue to run happily.
    The combined cost of re-licensing, training staff/engineers, building up support and getting everything fully compatible etc is simply not worth it.
    Also all the machines here are E8400's + 2gb RAM...Win 7 wouldn't exactly help performance.
    Yeah that would be a costly upgrade, no doubt about that.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh heck yeah, I'd say the majority of the world's IT corporations are still running XP workstations. Here at Telecom NZ all workstations are XP, while almost all the servers have been migrated from 2003 to 2008 - as long as the server backbone remains updated and secure, the workstations will continue to run happily until Microsoft terminate XP support in 2014 (or was it 2016?).
    Until then the combined cost of re-licensing for Win 7, training staff/engineers, building up support and getting everything fully compatible etc is simply not worth it.
    Here at my office, we run Windows 7, Vista, XP, 98, 95, 2000 Pro, Server 2003, and an old NT4 server. :|