played in beta, some concerns

Hello. I played some levels in the beta.

That is as far as this conversation can go, read your NDA agreement. -Conscript
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-12 at 05:37 PM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Hello. I played some levels in the beta
    Can't answer most of this without breaking the NDA, so sorry.

However, I can answer that the "timed" option is actually in place for group dialogue. I do not believe, from dev statements, it has any actual effect on single player dialogue.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-12 at 05:34 PM.

1) I also played in beta.

2) The timer is there for group play.
    In a group, everyone picks their response, and gets a roll (beside their portrait) the person who wins the roll says their bit.
    It doesn't do anything in solo play.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-12 at 05:35 PM.

Deleted
    Well, I played KOTOR and KOTOR2, both Light and Dark side, and truth be told...I felt like I was rewarded a lot better as an evil SOB, and not only credit wise.

I hope they don't do the same in this game. We all know how people are in MMOs...things need to be balanced out, if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by SarSil View Post
    Well, I played KOTOR and KOTOR2, both Light and Dark side, and truth be told...I felt like I was rewarded a lot better as an evil SOB, and not only credit wise.

I hope they don't do the same in this game. We all know how people are in MMOs...things need to be balanced out, if that's the case.
    As an MMO, there have to be other ways of earning money than quests. That's where professions come in; you won't see all that large of a hit by choosing Light side dialogue over Dark side.

A timer for group decisions would be prudent, to avoid someone stalling / griefing a group.

Hard to say on any of those points, as the people who would know can't answer to give definite answers.

With dungeon groups, I could speculate that if you refuse to provide a choice or make a decision at those dialog moments, you would be excluded from the roll or be assigned a random choice. I'd imagine you get neither light nor dark side points (no change).

For solo quests, it wouldn't make sense to have the system make choices for you, in the event of a refusal to decide. I guess conversation ends (to be picked up later), or it just sits there and waits, and waits..
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-10-12 at 05:00 PM.

"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

hey guys thanks..although the timer appeared while I was solo play nevermind it is still beta of course :P

as for the other part I know in MMO you ll make money different, mostly with professions and selling in Auction Houses.it would make sense though...everyone can be good guy for free :P but how many will chose the right path wit ha cost?
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-12 at 05:36 PM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    "Evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Dark Helmet
    "Lawful Good doesn't mean Lawful Stupid" - D&D PC Paladin motto.

hey guys thanks..although the timer appeared while I was solo play nevermind it is still beta of course :P
    While they want your choice to have meaning, I doubt they would make it so much that you would feel like you had to go darkside just to buy all the things you need. Chances are there are some other lightside choices that lead to credits while darkside choices didn't, to help even it out.
    The points do lead to being able to equip gear, but the gear doesn't give a stat advantage, just a cosmetic difference between light/dark/grey.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-12 at 05:36 PM.

as for the other part I know in MMO you ll make money different, mostly with professions and selling in Auction Houses.it would make sense though...everyone can be good guy for free :P but how many will chose the right path wit ha cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by torftw View Post
    The points do lead to being able to equip gear, but the gear doesn't give a stat advantage, just a cosmetic difference between light/dark/grey.
    Yup, Light/grey/Dark affects gear cosmetics, storyline/story-experience, titles, companions .. from info I gathered from official videos and interviews. It's highly personal, and you can use it to direct your role-playing experience in a direction you want to go. Decisions affect what NPC's are still alive and which ones are dead, which ones like you, which ones hate you, and perhaps which NPC's want to attack you.

There won't be anything crazy like group restrictions based on moral choices.

Buying character alignment was never discussed and I think it's unlikely. It is obtained through playing, killing, questing, dungeons (ComicCon).

Companions on the other hand have some sort of like / dislike attribute (Gamespot Companion video / Gamebreaker.tv), which it might be speculated that you buy gifts to please companions. Unsure how the gifts are obtained or with what currency - gold or tokens?
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-10-12 at 05:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    As an MMO, there have to be other ways of earning money than quests. That's where professions come in; you won't see all that large of a hit by choosing Light side dialogue over Dark side.
    The problem I'm speaking of isn't the money itself. A lot of people tend to take MMOs very seriously, and that's why they'll take every little detail to have the best possible outcome. You don't have to go that far, just look at WoW, for example, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

And I don't think I would like to see the whole "Dark side= leet side and Light side = noob side" thing in this game. That ruins every community.

Hopefully there won't be a big "disparity" between light and dark side rewards like there was in KOTOR. It wasn't a big deal back then, but in an MMO...that could be it's ruin.

Quote Originally Posted by SarSil View Post
    The problem I'm speaking of isn't the money itself. A lot of people tend to take MMOs very seriously, and that's why they'll take every little detail to have the best possible outcome. You don't have to go that far, just look at WoW, for example, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Well, yeah, but that depends on how important credits end up being. You could say that I should do everything I can to make gold at every point in WoW, but by the time I quit WoW I had a ridiculously large sum of gold to the point where it didn't really matter how I spent my gold; I'd still have enough left over to keep raiding until Blizzard pulled the plugs on WoW.

One problem I had with the game;
    I had a hard time telling which conversation reply was light side and which was dark side.
    People were saying that there was an easy way to tell but I wasn't seeing where that was indicated.

The game was amazing I have to say.
    The level of detail that went into the storyline was amazing.
    Good graphics, excellent storyline, great gameplay.
    Similar to WOW and other MMOs in a good way.

I only did one Flashpoint (Star Wars version of a dungeon) but it was very fun.
    If the higher level content/ raiding is good, I think this game will be great.

Didn't get a chance to try out the crafting system, unfortunately.
    Wondering how well that is implemented.

The indicators are so easy to see its ridiculous. I know indicators were already announced but not sure if it was announced how they're seen by the player. They're simple to see is all I'll say.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are easy to se, red mark is dark side and blue is light side. That easy, and not all conversations give dark or light side.

Quote Originally Posted by nwgminion View Post
    One problem I had with the game;
    I had a hard time telling which conversation reply was light side and which was dark side.
    People were saying that there was an easy way to tell but I wasn't seeing where that was indicated.
    When you mouse over the options an icon shows up in that center circle. If you just push the number button without mousing over then you won't see what the option gives. This way people who want to know what they are getting can see, while others who just want to rp and get what they get can just make choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Provided you were unaware and you don't really want to lose your beta access(you might have been a weekender, but hey), there is a Testing forum on the TOR website where you can ask all your questions freely without worrying about breaking the NDA.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    closing since the OP, and most posts deal with NDA material.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net