Deleted

Microsoft on Windows 8 'Start' Screen

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...rt-screen.aspx

This blog post brings up some of the questions and concerns that have been raised thus far in the Developer Preview of Windows 8 - and highlights some of the changes they intend to make. The post primarily discusses mouse & keyboard usage, though some of the changes will impact Touch users as well.

They talk about their data collection 'census' statistics, and bring up numerous reasons to motivate their various decisions.

Be aware it is quite long; but if you are interested in where W8 development is going (or hell - feel like raising a point or question) this might be worth to check out.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-10-12 at 05:37 PM.

Interesting read. My buddy in the IT department at my job has a developer copy. From what I've seen of it so far I'm not that impressed and I imagine I'll be sticking with 7 for as long as it is supported if some changes aren't made for this OS. I fear change

Quote Originally Posted by 0ptimo View Post
    Interesting read. My buddy in the IT department at my job has a developer copy. From what I've seen of it so far I'm not that impressed and I imagine I'll be sticking with 7 for as long as it is supported if some changes aren't made for this OS. I fear change
    Once you get past the "OMG METRO UI SUX!!!!!" phase, it's pretty clear that there are very good changes to Win8.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    Once you get past the "OMG METRO UI SUX!!!!!" phase, it's pretty clear that there are very good changes to Win8.
    Unless they have changed it, you can use your W7 desktop style as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    Slightly off topic but I read through the linked article and was surprised by the amount of people bashing the fact that W8 was less memory intensive etc...

WHY ARE THEY SO MAD ABOUT OPTIMIZATION?!

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Unless they have changed it, you can use your W7 desktop style as well.
    I'm using using it on my little HTPC, and yes, you can still use the 7 UI.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude View Post
    Slightly off topic but I read through the linked article and was surprised by the amount of people bashing the fact that W8 was less memory intensive etc...
    WHY ARE THEY SO MAD ABOUT OPTIMIZATION?!
    Because memory is not an issue, they say that W8 can run on 1GB of memory. (at least i read and article about it on a Norwegian site). But 1GB only cost 9 dollars on newegg. 4GB chips cost less than 25 dollars. and you can get 2x4GB for under 50 dollar. (prices for desktop and laptop is similiar).

But i dont know why they are ''mad'', and i havent read the comments myself. But i feel that Microsoft have other priorities that they should adress. Not just memory efficiency and boot times.
    Last edited by kailtas; 2011-10-12 at 10:56 PM.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Because memory is not an issue
    Actually, most of the optimizations affect end-user stuff. Particularly, running multiple copies of the same program, or multiple VMs with the same OS. The ability for VMs, and programs themselves, to 'share' identical memory is the bigger thing here.

On a more basic user level; consider Chrome for example. It could stand to gain significantly from this - as each tab is its separate process, but each of those processes are virtually identical in many ways.

Programs gain the ability to mark some RAM as 'low priority', essentially making it much easier to keep only data that matter in RAM. W8 is also better at keeping track of what stuff is accessed frequently - and what is accessed rarely which for example gives it a better idea of what to shove in the pagefile.

---------- Post added 2011-10-13 at 11:19 PM ----------

A little talk on the Task Manager.
    http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-d...-improvements/
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-10-13 at 12:27 AM.