Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The progression isn't PvE -> PvP just because GW2 doesn't follow the WoW model.

For me, PvP will be a fun thing on the side that I'll do when I feel like it. Where the community decides to go is up to them. I expect there to be a vivid PvP community, yes, but I don't expect the PvE community to be any less flourishing.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

There isn't any argue, you just see a side of the beauty of the game which you have no reason to defend. We're all at the same side here, so don't waste your effort.

To get on the topic, GW2 is a PvE game. Let's be honest. But what if Guild Wars 2 didn't had any PvP in it? I'm betting many people won't buy the game or the game won't be as much enjoyed as it will now.

What I mean with this? Guild Wars 2 focus on PvE, but doesn't let PvP just be PvP.. just so it's there. It has a valuable effort in the game, it finishes Guild Wars 2 as many GW1 players knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    PVP and PVE are an equal focus.

Anyone that says GW2 is a PVP game should instantly be ignored because they obviously don't know much about GW2.
    Yes, everyone who is ill informed or doesn't know any better and just speaks from GW1 experience should be ignored without question.

o.0

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishy714 View Post
    Yes, everyone who is ill informed or doesn't know any better and just speaks from GW1 experience should be ignored without question.

o.0
    Yes they should. If they spent any time reading or watching videos about GW2, they'd know that GW2 is not only a "PVP game".

Deleted
    As far as I know, they I'll be focusing in both equally.
    We are not having the typical PvE approach, namely raids, but dynamic events should do the trick.
    Seriously, 100 people fighting to defend zones, or other objectives? It seems pretty epic to me. I just hope servers are well populated so we don't end up like 2 people killing a lot of mobs (I know dynamic events adapt to participators, but I hope you get my point )

Deleted
    If WoW is 65% PvE and 35% PvP then Guild Wars 2 looks to be roughly 50/50.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    If WoW is 65% PvE and 35% PvP then Guild Wars 2 looks to be roughly 50/50.

LOL OMG! you think wow actually has 35% pvp!? Try 10 or 15%! They piss on their pvp players and call it rain, let alone destroying pvp by balancing around... well nothing, and making pve changes to ruin pvp play and vice versa....

But yes, GW2 will be 50/50

@OP: From what i've played in GW1, pve isn't inferior to PVP, and if someone pve'd only to get skills for pvp they're doing it wrong and can just pvp to get skills for pvp....

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    let alone destroying pvp by balancing around... well nothing, and making pve changes to ruin pvp play and vice versa....
    I can't tell if you are serious about this one..

*Changes to Windfury
    *Changes to Warrior Sword Spec/Mace Spec
    *Changes to DK Death Strike
    *Changes to Feral Druid Shapeshifting
    .. need I go on?

All of these were changes made for PVP "balancing" (had to lol on that one), that screwed up PVE and made huge changes..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishy714 View Post
    I can't tell if you are serious about this one..

*Changes to Windfury
    *Changes to Warrior Sword Spec/Mace Spec
    *Changes to DK Death Strike
    *Changes to Feral Druid Shapeshifting
    .. need I go on?

All of these were changes made for PVP "balancing" (had to lol on that one), that screwed up PVE and made huge changes..
    i said and vice versa lol... it's even in the quote....

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Uhm.. what?!

GW2 will have much more PVE content than GW1 but still this game has it's balance point tipped to PVP direction. You see, it's all about competition and based on the info they've released until now guilds can't compete in PVE, since there is no raids (which is good btw). In PVE the only way guilds can have fun on larger scale are DE's and that means guilds can't exclusively "claim" any success over it since anyone can join in. The most hard DE's will have to be completed by multiple guilds anyway. As far 5man goes while they are fun they can't provide enough "competitive nature" for entire guild. Beating super hard 5man will be registered more as a success of that particular group of people than their guilds.

When you look at PVP side of the game there is much more potential for the guild activity. The mists(WvWvW) will provide unique experience of global conflict, creating and upgrading your own fortifications, planting banner of your guild on top of enemy fortress or just randomly hunting down enemies on battlefield will definitively be fun. On top of that we have BGs (perfect for guild setup) and possibility of creating our own custom tournaments. PVP presents more possible activities, more bragging rights and offers better overall enjoyment of team play.

There are many discussions about GW2 "end game" - why there is no raids etc. But people miss the fact that PVP is the end game. Whole PVE experience, from personal story, through dungeons to hard DE's is there to make you want to interact with other people, learn the basics of team work and will make an easy and seamless transition from PVE to PVP. I can guarantee that people who never thought about PVP when coming to GW2 will crave for it and later enjoy it to the fullest.

Anet stated very clearly that they want to push their game as an esport as far as it is possible. That by no means that PVE will be disregarded. I'm pretty sure PVE environment will provide tons of fun, so much actually some people will never move beyond that and they will enjoy it without the feeling that they are playing less developed part of the game. Although if you ever want to make some fame in GW2 as a guild.. you will be up the hills battling for that keep or winning 2nd tournament in a row.

Peace.

Actually, PvP is not "the" end game in Guild Wars 2, it's 1 of the end games in GW2, There's PvP, Dungeons and Elite areas, all 3 are something at "end game" in guild wars.

i agree though, that the dungeons will help people transfer into PvP very much, and make 2 balanced playstyles.

Reading about WoW on a GW2 forum makes me chuckle.

Will guild wars 2 have PvE? Yes.
    Will guild wars 2 have PvP? Yes.

Both areas had alot of things rolling for them in GW1 and in GW2 things are not looking different so far, they've put alot of effort into the PvE aspect of the game and you can be damn sure that their focus is on making a well-rounded game rather than narrowing it down to just 1 side of the community(Ie. WoW - PvE, WAR - PvP).

You'll be able to do either one just fine and you can choose to avoid one entirely if you should so want, oh and there truly is no need for your moaning about WoWs balance to end up in this subsection of the forum so just give it a rest.

As for GW1's PvE, theres several "elite" zones where you can obtain some unique armor/weaponlooks, the skills you obtain in there are in general used for PvEing more than PvPing, but in general you wont be seeing many people teaming up for these zones anymore, GW1 has become a solo story with your fanciest hero NPCs at your side.
    Last edited by luedieniel; 2011-10-13 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Not sure if that even makes sense.

The game is whatever you want it to be - you can't put numbers on it.
    I figured about those numbers too. Most people I know only PvP when they're bored of running 3-10 Heroics a day, or after raiding (housewives unite! :P). But yeah, GW2 looks very attractive in the sense that WvWvW sounds almost like a 3-way PvE/PvP area in WoW. But turn around and people who get bored of PvP in GW2 and go around with their buddies and just throw themselves into a Dynamic Event, without one having to "tank" or "heal", or having to switch their specs/armor sets to join in the fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    That might very well be but it still something you make up, there is nothing factual about it.

If you look at any MMO, actual PvP content is at the most 10-15% of ANY MMO.

What people prefer/play is a completely different matter.

Many people said GW1 was mostly a PvP game, but I probably spent less than 5% of my played time PvP'ing.

I'm sticking with putting numbers on it makes no sense whatsoever.
    And you just put numbers on it in your post. In the last 3-4 years, I've noticed a few more people doing PvP than PvE. I see more people standing in SW in PvP gear, and the ones doing PvE are out and about. Usually when it was the "highlight time" during the evening in my Horde guild, there were about 30 on. About 10-15 of them would actually be actively PvPing or doing Arenas and the other 10-15 would be in dungeons, farming, leveling, or doing an old 10/25 raid.

Anyways, GW2 does look to be more 50/50, and they want you to do/try everything, which is good.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think it is very premature to label GW2 one thing or another. for starters for well over a year the focus of the devs has been PvE and now over the last 2 months it has been both PvE and PvP. just because GW1 was more renowned for it's PvP does not mean that it was a PvP focused game, as there is alot of PvE in it if you just stop and look.

GW2 is shaping up to cater to both play-styles and though people may not be able to compete "traditionally" the way they have been in traditional MMOs does not mean that they will not come up with new ways to compete in the PvE content on offer in GW2; they could compete for server first completion of all paths in a given dungeon, then maybe speed clears of the dungeons, maybe instead of doing DEs "just" to help their respective guilds they could help their server get world firsts for Elite DEs instead by helping progress elite event chains, etc.

in closing people are creative and i am confident they will find creative ways to make the most of the content provided in GW2 for both PvP and PvE.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

The answer is simply yes, it's a focus. ArenaNet does not ignore PvE for PvP, or PvP for PvE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    The answer is simply yes, it's a focus. ArenaNet does not ignore PvE for PvP, or PvP for PvE.
    Haha, this is why I said it'll be more 50/50! Both content points won't be ignored by ArenaNet.

10+ Year Old Account
    A very interesting discussion but from everything I read it sounds 50/50. I'm fine with that I'm defiantly going to do both but I've done since I was a kid semi-competitive judo and kendo, I'm not looking for super competitive PvP matches. I just want some fun, challenging, and rewarding content to play with my friends.

A thing that bothers me about the PvP setup is that you can start playing end game, max level, top gear, all abilities unlocked PvP as soon as you create your first character. I would much rather see that as a goal you work towards during leveling.

I never played GW1 and maybe I am carrying too much of a WoW mindset here, but doesn't there seem to be a lack of character progression once you hit level cap? If you get free top of the line gear for Competitive PvP, and there is no tiered raiding or dungeons, then what is the incentive to improve your character?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    A thing that bothers me about the PvP setup is that you can start playing end game, max level, top gear, all abilities unlocked PvP as soon as you create your first character. I would much rather see that as a goal you work towards during leveling.

I never played GW1 and maybe I am carrying too much of a WoW mindset here, but doesn't there seem to be a lack of character progression once you hit level cap? If you get free top of the line gear for Competitive PvP, and there is no tiered raiding or dungeons, then what is the incentive to improve your character?
    The end-game is meant to be fun, not a continuous grind for better gear. If you want to gauge your progression after level cap they have achievements for that.

The end game is also skill based, not gear based. You'll be hard pressed to find content to trivialize unless you're an insanely good player skill wise. It's about the players ability to play, not avatar power.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)