Thread: Your First Day.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Your First Day.

Hi everyone. As the title would suggest, I only recently started playing Minecraft: just last night, in fact. Been hearing loads about the game and decided to finally give it a go: here's my story of my first time playing Minecraft.

The world is created and I spawn in the new world. Surrounding me are trees, sheep, and many, many mushrooms. I see oceans in one direction, a mountain in another: I simply stand there, taking in the world around me. So many possibilities await me, but first: What the hell do I do?

First of all, I punch the ground a bit and get some dirt. Ok, cool. Then I figure, I've heard lots about how wood is apparently a useful resource: let's go chop down a tree and see what happens. Suddenly, an achievement pops up: 'Got wood?'. You just have to giggle at that, and also it gets me curious: I didn't know Minecraft had achievements! The plot thickens.

So I've got some wood and now I wonder what the hell I do with it. After opening the menu I see the crafting tool: I experiment, place some wood in there, make some wooden planks. I throw some of these around, mess about with it. Get a bit bored, go punch a sheep.

After beating the sheep into submission I get some wool and some EXP orbs (I think?). Oh wow, I can level up! I proceeed to commit sheep genocide, collecting as much EXP as possible. When I realise it's not really doing much... I get bored. Then I wonder: 'Why is it getting so dark...?'

Ohshit. It's night time. I've heard about how at night, the monsters come out. I have no weapons, no means of defending myself. Oh god what do I do what do I do WHAT DO I DO. I take the rest of the wooden planks and throw them all around me, creating a really rough and shoddy bunker. I hide inside, scared to death of what might be out there. After what seems an eternity I hear a noise...

At this point I think. 'Bah. How difficult can they be? I can take 'em!' I jump out of my bunker and am ambushed by a skeleton! I charge in head first, wildly flailing my arms around, punching the crap out of it while it shoots me... and it dies! I win! I AM A GOD OF MINECRAF-

Dead. A second skeleton saw me with my measly 2 hearts and shot me in the ass. I slump back in my chair. My first Minecraft death. A sobering moment. But only for a moment: Minecraft, you challenge me to survive this first night? You challenge me to create a better bunker, better defenses? You challenge me to hunt down and exterminate every last skeleton and monster in this game?

Challenge accepted.

I start a new world, reload. Begin anew. And I build.

There's more, but this became longer than expected. This is what I love about Minecraft, even though I have only played it for a few hours. You create your own story. There's so much that can happen and it's just so exciting and...

Yeah. I'm hooked. So how about you guys? Tell us of your first day in Minecraft. Did you survive your very first night? What happened? How about your first encounter with the monsters? I'm really interested to hear how your experiences compare and contrast with mine.

Good read +1.

Cant say I remember much from my first night though. I remember how the zombies scared the shit out of me.

I created a cave, after about 30 seconds of digging, I heard the zombie moan. I got so scared, I removed one block at a time, with a 10 seconds interval. God I searched for so long for that zombie. JUST MAKE THE SOUND STOP!

I remember he eventuelly fell down from the roof, making me piss my pants (well almost).

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda spoilt my 1st day because i watched a few yogcast video's.

gotta agree with cleggy, so i knew quite a bit about the game alrdy

my first day in minecraft..

Start new world..

Beat up on animals for roughly 30 minutes because i didnt realize you have to hold the button down when karate chopping a tree.. oh error disconnect. relog chop down a tree, 5 minutes go by, error disconnect.. my desktop was loaded with these wonderful error files.. it annoyed me so i stopped playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Never ask for logic in a game that mails you dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripoff View Post
    Good read +1.

Cant say I remember much from my first night though. I remember how the zombies scared the shit out of me.

I created a cave, after about 30 seconds of digging, I heard the zombie moan. I got so scared, I removed one block at a time, with a 10 seconds interval. God I searched for so long for that zombie. JUST MAKE THE SOUND STOP!

I remember he eventuelly fell down from the roof, making me piss my pants (well almost).
    Hah! Nice. I had a sort of reversed version of that situation. After restarting I managed to create a nice shelter underneath a hill. Once I made it, I decided to do a bit of exploration: near my shelter I found a cave in the ground. I accidentally fell into it, right on top of a Creeper. You can guess what happened next. ;_;

Deleted
    The first day never lasts long enough. I knew a little about the game before I got it so I started off chopping down trees. Suddenly it starts to get dark (this was before the light update so when it started getting dark there was a sudden change in the light level at dusk and it scared the bejeezus out of me) so I ran around looking for a good base spot.
    Found a good enough spot, hastily dug a cave, shut it off, I'm in the dark, crap!
    Hurriedly put down my crafting table, make a furnace with the cobblestone, make charcoal, torches! Spend the night chipping away in my cave whilst jumping at the sounds from zombies and spiders outside.
    Sun comes up, I hear my enemies burning, victory! I gingerly make my way outside to survey the outside, planning to get more wood and sand for windows. Then I hear a hiss as something green falls on my head from my roof. *Boom*
    I stumble around trying to find where I built my base and find it by chance, my front door now 4x bigger than it was before...

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The main thing that I remember from my first day/night in MC was that I had NO idea how big the world was.

I had read up a little bit, so I was able to make a wood house in time to protect myself through the night. The second day, I made a cave for that I thought was big, but compared to what I build now it was a hole in the wall. I did a bit of digging, but decided to venture out after a couple of days. A few days later and completely lost as to where my fort was, I gave up and started a new world.

I just wasn't read for how expansive MC can become. A new player can easily become completely lost.

That has been one of my main problems! I've been out wandering the world, when I see night falling. I try to find my way back to my shelter but I just can't find it at all. Any tips on being able to find your way back? Beyond making a gigantic arrow pointing downwards, I'm a bit stuck for ideas.

Deleted
    the first day for me well? i didn't know what the fuck i was doing. :3

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Last night started my second world.
    Right next to my spawn point is a large hill, After doing the usual collecting of resources i climbed to the top and built a large lighthouse.
    This is my beacon i can spot it for miles
    In time I'm gonna make the whole hill a fortress.

My first day was after I had bought it, I spent 8 hours on a server building mud huts

10+ Year Old Account
    I played Minecraft for literally 12 hours straight the first day I had it - well, second day if you want to get technical since I had to head to work the first day I had it (I only got to play for about 10 minutes on that day.)

Minecraft gets boring frequently, just like WoW does... but completely unlike WoW, I'm always finding new ways to play and new mods to fiddle with that make it worth it to open up a new world and get crackin'.

I never like continuing to work on an existing world... always feels better to create a new one and start from scratch.

My first day of minecraft... I was unlucky at first... I couldn't find any coal for torches (I saw some beginner's tips videos on youtube, so I knew the basics of crafting and whatnot), so I dug a hole in the ground and stayed in the dark, waiting. Every now and then, I broke the dirt right above me to see if it was daytime again or not.

Was playing last night. One minute it was 18:00, the next it was 23:00. Where did my 5 hours go?

I've been spending my time digging a complex system of caves. I made a shelter underneath a hill, and instead of going outside I just ended up digging downwards and slowly expanding my cave system. It's great fun when you stumble across some iron ore! And just before I finished for the night I found an underground waterfall. That was awesome.

I know I must sound like an over-eager noob. It's actually rare that a game gets me this excitable, haha. I've missed the feeling!

Any more stories of first days? They're great to read.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    My first day of minecraft... I was unlucky at first... I couldn't find any coal for torches (I saw some beginner's tips videos on youtube, so I knew the basics of crafting and whatnot), so I dug a hole in the ground and stayed in the dark, waiting. Every now and then, I broke the dirt right above me to see if it was daytime again or not.
    Oh, I hate it when you can't find any coal.

This wasn't in the game back then, but you can now put logs in the furnace with sticks below to create charcoal. Charcoal also makes torches. I didn't find that out until I did the Skyblock challenge =p

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    *Big tip* when your brain is telling you "just nip back and drop some of your stuff off" do it i spend a good 3 hrs last night exploring a cave network with a v large cavern, the bottom was filled with lava and on the side i could see diamonds, at that point my brain told me to go back but no i carefully carved a stair case all the way down then built a bridge to the diamonds, after successfully mining my 1st diamonds i aimed to return to my cave to craft a diamond pickaxe... then plop i was in the lava... a spider had fallen on me from a cave above

alll in all i lost allot of ore, coal etc aswell as flares 3 iron picks and swords (my basic exploration pack)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Oh, I hate it when you can't find any coal.

This wasn't in the game back then, but you can now put logs in the furnace with sticks below to create charcoal. Charcoal also makes torches. I didn't find that out until I did the Skyblock challenge =p
    Yeah I was a little annoyed when that was introduced in the game, on account of my wonderful first night :P

My strategy is to keep deleting Worlds until I spawn with Coal in sight. I can't fucking do anything when I have to spend all day looking for Coal before I can even get started on a shelter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    My strategy is to keep deleting Worlds until I spawn with Coal in sight. I can't fucking do anything when I have to spend all day looking for Coal before I can even get started on a shelter.
    I don't see a point to that when charcoal is the same as coal and can be produced so long as there are trees and stone.

on topc:
    First night ever? I load up the game and am aware that night fall brings bad things so I go straight away building a house and get OCD about it. I keep tweaking out over the smallest things, like height, block choice, depth once inside... it's not even a real house by nightfall but more of a wall and agiant hole in the ground and the start of a mine below that. It's dark, I hear things outside and go to my door and.... *plop* SPIDER!!!! >.> nope... plural and this is how I learned spiders can see through walls as well as climb them.