Page 30 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    I'd recommend "The Tatami Galaxy."

I really don't see how Stein's; Gate is like Welcome to the NHK...
    Mad scientist creates time machine to stop evil organization from taking over the world = Lonely NEET's slow journey of turning his life around...?

I wouldn't say you shouldn't watch Stein's; Gate, I just don't see the comparison.
    I would like something which has themes such as loneliness, isolation, depression, other mental illnesses or some psychological stuff. Id also prefer if it was as realistic as possible, so no shooting lazers or any stuff like that.
    I've often seen people compare the two also.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-08-21 at 04:21 AM.

Hm... I guess it has some of the same themes, and the main characters are similarly eccentric, but I think the main themes of the two series are quite different.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bas View Post
    Death Note --> Code Geass
    Thanks I'll try it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bas View Post
    Death Note --> Code Geass
    Subjective. I found Code Geass vastly more fun and emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by taurenguard View Post
    Thanks I'll try it.
    If you want to see an anime about mind-games, suspense and plenty of dark/depressing tragedy, Death Note is the one.
    If you want to see an anime about mind-games, heart-wrenching plot twists and plenty of action/fight-scenes mixed in, see Code Geass.

The main difference in the two can be put down to the amount of action, the "darkness" of tone, and how you'll be left feeling at the end (because how it ends is what you will remember the best).

At the end of Death Note I was just sitting there for ages thinking "well...that was fucking depressing. Deeply emotional and enjoyable at times, but still a depression-fest followed by an abrupt ending."
    At the end of Code Geass I was literally crying my eyes out of the sadness of the situation, but at the same time I was punching the air because of the "victory" achieved. I was left thinking "wait...I see the ultimate motive behind it all now...this is genius, absolute genius!"

In either case I don't feel like watching either anime ever again, because I don't want to go through that kind of emotional beating again :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-08-21 at 07:36 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Thanks for the suggestions... I watched a few episodes of them and Ive come to the conclusion that there arent any other series quite like NHK.

I watched a few episodes of Steins;Gate and Serial Experiments Lain. Steins wasnt bad, but not quite what I was looking for. Neither was the latter. One was about mad scientist and other one was about some alternative reality...? I have to admit that Serial Experiments Lain had pretty depressive atmosphere, but I cant say I really liked the plot.

I guess there arent any other series about hikikomoris or lonely people in general. Depressive stuff wouldnt be so popular anyway, I guess. Feel free to recommend me new stuff if something crosses your mind.
    Last edited by mmoc614b31b9c1; 2012-08-21 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions... I watched a few episodes of them and Ive come to the conclusion that there arent any other series quite like NHK.

I watched a few episodes of Steins;Gate and Serial Experiments Lain. Steins wasnt bad, but not quite what I was looking for. Neither was the latter. One was about mad scientist and other one was about some alternative reality...? I have to admit that Serial Experiments Lain had pretty depressive atmosphere, but I cant say I really liked the plot.

I guess there arent any other series about hikikomoris or lonely people in general. Depressive stuff wouldnt be so popular anyway, I guess. Feel free to recommend me new stuff if something crosses your mind.
    Did you try "The Tatami Galaxy?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    Did you try "The Tatami Galaxy?"
    I red a short plot summary (no spoilers ofc) and it looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely watch some of it later tonight and see how I like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyrne View Post
    I've been watching more and more anime, especially since I got netflix. I just finished Fruits Basket, and like Ouran High School Host Club, I loved it. I enjoy the drama/outrageous comedy mix a lot, and the interesting characters and their interactions/friendships/romance/etc.
    Any suggestions for similar anime to those two? It has to be dubbed, I could never get into subbed shows no matter how many anime-aficionados I've met that tell me it's the way to go.

Edit: I'm also a fan of Soul Eater, Fairy Tail and One Piece, but only for the characters and the story, the combat was just a cool bonus.
    Here are a few along the lines of Fruit Basket and Ouran:
    Special A A Shoujo series about group of gifted students and a super elite school. Main character is a girl who is constantly trying to beat her childhood friend in everything but always comes up second. Little does she know he is secretly in love with him.

Lovely Complex Another Shoujo about a really tall girl and a short boy and how their friendship grows. Series shows the highschool lives of them and their friends.

These two are a little less drama and a little more comedy, but very funny:
    Seto no Hanayome About a boy who is saved from drowning by a mermaid. According to mermaid law, if a mermaid is seen by a human either the human or the mermaid has to be killed. Seto, the mermaid refuses to let the boy she saved be killed and he father refuses to let her sacrifice herself of a human so a compromise is made by Seto's mother. If Seto marries the boy, he will be family and neither will have to be killed. The boy has no say in any of this and now has to live with the girl until they are old enough to be married. This is made much more complicated since it turns out that Seto's family is a mermaid yakuza and her father is out to make the kid's life hell if it does not kill him.

Azumanga Daioh Typical "cute girls doing cute things" kind of slice of life series, but one of the best examples of it. Very funny with a lot of great characters.

As for a series like Soul Eater, Fairy Tail and One Piece, I highly recommend Hunter x Hunter. A lot like those series, but with a higher focus on character development then on crazy battles. That element is still there, but not nearly the main draw. My favorite aspect of the series, and what I feel is it's core idea, is the friendship between Gon, a kid who despite being left as an infant by his father to be raised by his father's cousin, is an eternal optimist who always sees the best in people and never backs shys away from a challenge, and Killua, the middle child of 5 of a family of assassins who has been raised to be a pure killing machine and taught to never become attached to anyone, seeing others as either potential targets or tools to be exploited.

There are two versions of this series. An older one that started in 1999 and has a total of 92 episodes. 62 in the series and then two 8 episode OVAs and a 14 episode OVA. Then there is a newer series that just started in 2011 and is up to I believe 43 episodes right now. Both are pretty much the same, but the older one did have a bit of filler although I had no idea it even was filler when I watched it and the newer is moving at a bit faster pace.

Now, I have no idea about dub quality on these since I do not watch dubs, but they are all pretty big series and should be dubbed except maybe Special A. Although, every single person who says "I just cannot get into subs so I only watch dubs," has ended up eventually ditching that habit and most are now strongly in the "dubs suck" category.

Deleted
    Seen and enjoyed, in order of preference:
    Mirai Nikki
    Madoka
    Gurren Lagann
    FLCL
    Angel Beats!
    Durarara!!
    Death Note*
    Elfen Lied**

Along with a multitude of anime that I either didn't enjoy, couldn't get into or finished watching just to give a bad review, including Clannad, Guilty Crown and School Days. I generally dislike harems, any genre with excessive ecchi*** and anything that runs longer than 30 episodes, though I imagine there are exceptions - I just haven't encountered any. Preferred genres include drama, horror, romance and psychological. Any recommendations?

*: Pre-spoiler it ranks on the list. Post-spoiler it would fall off.

**: I read the manga of Elfen Lied years before I saw the anime, so my view on it is, to some degree, tinted. If I had just watched the anime I feel like I may have not even enjoyed it.

***: Basically whenever it becomes irrelevant to the plot. I think the anime in my list mostly do it tastefully or keep it important to the plot, with the exception of filler episodes.

@Harold:

I recommend:
    - Another: Heavy on the supernatural horror and psychological.
    - Dusk Maiden Amnesia: supernatural romance, not very scary at all
    - When the Cicadas Cry (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni): Heavy on the psychological horror.
    - The Mystic Archives of Dantalian: sort of a friendship while dealing horror and mystery.

---------- Post added 2012-08-21 at 10:40 AM ----------

Oh, and don't watch Another episode 0 until you finish the series. It's a prequel that they made at the end of the series, but it wouldn't make much sense until you finish the series.
    Last edited by Windry; 2012-08-21 at 05:38 PM.

Deleted
    Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai - You should try watching that, Harold. It's probably the only ecchi anime in the world that uses it for the plot.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Subjective. I found Code Geass vastly more fun and emotional.

If you want to see an anime about mind-games, suspense and plenty of dark/depressing tragedy, Death Note is the one.
    If you want to see an anime about mind-games, heart-wrenching plot twists and plenty of action/fight-scenes mixed in, see Code Geass.

The main difference in the two can be put down to the amount of action, the "darkness" of tone, and how you'll be left feeling at the end (because how it ends is what you will remember the best).

At the end of Death Note I was just sitting there for ages thinking "well...that was fucking depressing. Deeply emotional and enjoyable at times, but still a depression-fest followed by an abrupt ending."
    At the end of Code Geass I was literally crying my eyes out of the sadness of the situation, but at the same time I was punching the air because of the "victory" achieved. I was left thinking "wait...I see the ultimate motive behind it all now...this is genius, absolute genius!"

In either case I don't feel like watching either anime ever again, because I don't want to go through that kind of emotional beating again :P
    Thanks for taking your time to explain, it gonna watch it now

Well, It's Not my Fault I'm not Popular is like that, buuuut it's a manga and not an anime. I still recommend it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Well, It's Not my Fault I'm not Popular is like that, buuuut it's a manga and not an anime. I still recommend it.
    I THINK i heard that they're making an anime out of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I THINK i heard that they're making an anime out of it though.
    Really? Ohgod that would be amazing. You better be right.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Recommend me series similar to Welcome to the NHK (loved everything in it, art style, plot, characters and theme.)

I would like something which has themes such as loneliness, isolation, depression, other mental illnesses or some psychological stuff. Id also prefer if it was as realistic as possible, so no shooting lazers or any stuff like that.

Thank you in advance.
    think he may have already seen that one

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Note to self: Don't skim through posts.
    your avatar fits that post very well :| <---

Can anyone recommend some really good mecha? I like Macross a lot. I'm tired of the hypersexual stuff. I haven't watched gundam too much but it seemed like the stories weren't that great and the planes were very cartoonish (though some seemed good). Patlabor was kind of drawn well but the robot used a revolver pistol which was really odd.

Anything new and good out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Nish77 View Post
    Can anyone recommend some really good mecha? I like Macross a lot. I'm tired of the hypersexual stuff. I haven't watched gundam too much but it seemed like the stories weren't that great and the planes were very cartoonish (though some seemed good). Patlabor was kind of drawn well but the robot used a revolver pistol which was really odd.

May want to try out Gundam Unicorn, it's meant to be watchable without prior Gundam knowledge, but knowing what's what always helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nish77 View Post

Which gundam series did you see? Depending on the series it can be super robot grade over the top or fairly realistic.

Also non sexualized mecha eh?

Try Rahxephon and Fafner though they may be a bit too much in some ways. See what you seem to want is a real robot series and these days those are rather rare. Hmmm actually i know a guy who could help. I canget back later but consider looking into Jinki Extend.

But yeah give me the name of what gundam series you've seen(i suspect some seed and OO) so i can tell ya some ones that will work for ya.