Page 38 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalamander View Post
    Thought Maoyuu Maou Yuusha was the demon king anime.
    That is also a demon king (more like queen!) anime. The previous one was demon king daimao afaik. He was the son of a demon king who wants to be a high priest but it gets revealed who he really is.

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    That is also a demon king (more like queen!) anime. The previous one was demon king daimao afaik. He was the son of a demon king who wants to be a high priest but it gets revealed who he really is.
    That almost sounds a bit like Ao no Exorcist.
    Also a bit like Tears to Tiara.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalamander View Post
    That almost sounds a bit like Ao no Exorcist.
    Also a bit like Tears to Tiara.
    Tears of Tiara was the one with the demon king guy with white hair? Also with the elf kings descendants or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    I'm gonna have to do another request. Do you guys have any good suggestions for animes where the main character turns evil? Again, preferably with some drama or action as well.

I've been watching Guilty Crown lately, and while the series overall was pretty disappointing I loved two of the episodes for this very reason, and I feel it's a concept that I'd like to explore some more.
    Well, the two big ones are of course Code Geass and Death Note. Mirai Nikki somewhat also qualifies, as Comburo already noted.

Higurashi naku no Koro Ni has some ... nasty twists, especially after you understand what those first four episodes were all about - but I don't really think it would qualify for what you are looking for. Great anime though! For the same reason, Umineko naku no Koro ni; though that anime just wasn't any good.

If you are willing to go further back in time, Excel Saga and Slayers both star some quite morally questionable characters; the former cheerfully destroys the world, while the latter cheerfully destroys a village per episode. Mostly but probably not by accident. But both are played more for laughs than anything else. Bastard! from the same era is equally inept; despite being all dark and metal-y, the evilness mostly falls down as dorky. Hilarious, but dorky.

Tantei Gakuen Sunred, the defender of justice and all that, is just a creepy self-serving superhero mooching off his girlfriend, while the evil Flornsheim army is filled with the actual good guys. Again though, this is a humor show. And it's quite repetitive too.

If you want to go REALLY far back and can also stomach robot shows,there is MD Geist. Note however that this anime just isn't very good. It's quite nihilistic though!

Back to the newer era; Hell Girl is a show about a soul-less girl sneezed out of a japanese horror movie that goes about granting wishes... for the price of your soul. While the first few episodes manage to stay in the moral grey zone where you could say that the cost might be worth it, the latter few episodes just become painful how the main cast cheat and lie to make otherwise good people damn themselves and others. Unfortunately, the show is quite slow.

The anime adaption of the count of Monte Cristo, Gankutsou, is definitively qualifying. The main downside with this anime is the textures. You'll see what I mean.

Pretty much the entire cast of Black Lagoon qualifies; but it is quite a mitigating factor that everyone that is crossed and doublecrossed by the main characters absolutely deserved it due to being far worse monsters.

And how about the "good people" of section 9 in Ghost on the Shell? Toppling governments, overriding civil liberties in ways that nazi germany could only dream of, serving their own ends rather than justice. It's all in a days work for those guys.

It's hard to deem who the main character in Baccano is, but I can certifiably say that the only ones that weren't batshit evil are the two clueless cowboys. Some characters were more sociopathic than others though; Ladd Russo being the most awesome.

And finally, how about Fate Zero? It's the prequel to Fate Stay Night, where the main character is a wizard set in a 7-way wizard duel. His style consists of sniping, bombing buildings, a chronic backstabbing disorder that make everyone turn on him, and the ability to use his loyal followers like discardable stepping mats. It's not a bad show to boot!
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Sorry if im not requesting in the right format and im very new to anime so be nice

So far i have watched

Full Metal Alchemist : Brotherhood
    Sword Art Online
    Fate/Zero

I would say i enjoyed FMA:B the most out of the 3 i have watched, i like really well fleshed out characters and a good over arching storyline. Pacing is also pretty important , SOA the first half was excellent until the rushed conclusion and the second half was ..... well i was too invested to stop watching at that point.
    Just to give another example of my tastes is Avatar the last airbender ( yes i know its not anime!) , great story, characters, world / powers.

So i guess what im trying to say is that anything you think has a excellent story and characters, i would love to hear your suggestions.

@Exoblade. The obvious one that comes to mind would be to watch Code geass. Also I always prefered FMA over FMA:B (mainly due to how poorly done 1-15 of FMA:B is done imo). Death note is just a good show, you could watch that even if you did not enjoy anime. But ya firstly watch Code geass, such a great show, my first and still my favourite anime.

Also Steins;Gate, do NOT research it before watching it and even though it starts slow don't worry , it is just so good

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exoblade View Post
    Sorry if im not requesting in the right format and im very new to anime so be nice

So far i have watched

Full Metal Alchemist : Brotherhood
    Sword Art Online
    Fate/Zero

I would say i enjoyed FMA:B the most out of the 3 i have watched, i like really well fleshed out characters and a good over arching storyline. Pacing is also pretty important , SOA the first half was excellent until the rushed conclusion and the second half was ..... well i was too invested to stop watching at that point.
    Just to give another example of my tastes is Avatar the last airbender ( yes i know its not anime!) , great story, characters, world / powers.

So i guess what im trying to say is that anything you think has a excellent story and characters, i would love to hear your suggestions.

the ending of the first arc of SAO was not "Rushed" it was intended to end on the 75th floor as opposed to going to the final 100th floor (go read the Light Novel if you don't believe me.) however the second arc was RUSHED and they cut out a lot of stuff.

if you like action anime, and have no problem with innuendo then i would recommend:
    Hagure Yuusha no Estetica.
    High School DxD

Action and Comedy:
    Mondaiji Tachi (full name is really long, english translation of the name is: Problem Children are coming from another world, aren't they?)

Action/Mystery
    Zetsuen No Tempest

and finally id recommend:

Code Geass (Season 1 and 2)
    Guilty Crown

i cant thinnk of anything else atm as i just woke up but ill leave you with that.

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    the ending of the first arc of SAO was not "Rushed" it was intended to end on the 75th floor as opposed to going to the final 100th floor (go read the Light Novel if you don't believe me.) however the second arc was RUSHED and they cut out a lot of stuff.

if you like action anime, and have no problem with innuendo then i would recommend:
    Hagure Yuusha no Estetica.
    High School DxD

Action and Comedy:
    Mondaiji Tachi (full name is really long, english translation of the name is: Problem Children are coming from another world, aren't they?)

Action/Mystery
    Zetsuen No Tempest

and finally id recommend:

Code Geass (Season 1 and 2)
    Guilty Crown

i cant thinnk of anything else atm as i just woke up but ill leave you with that.
    Was just my opinion but i see your point , i really don't know anything beyond the anime.

Thank you for your suggestions

Its hard to recomend stuff to somone new to anime becuse there are way waay too much good stuff. And its kinda hard to understand in what direction your insterest takes. Bet you hardly know your self yet when it comes to anime tho since I have been there my self.

If you liked SAO a bit you might fancy its "sister?" series Accel World that is a bit more action based in style tho, has a story that transpire in same world as SAO but 30 years later or something if Im not mistaken technology wise, except that them two anime has nothing to do with each other.
    Good alternatives in these fantasy/sci-fi-action anime are the Toaru Majutsu no Index and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun animes I think. Even tho Index is supposed to be the main anime the paralelle anime railgun that takes place in same world is more liked by most. It doesnt really matter in what order you see any of thoes two no matter what anyone tells you, but all things wont be clear until you have seen both.

As new to anime you might think you aint interested in romance and drama and the likes, since you normaly aint right? But I promise you that you probably will end up liking that in anime eventualy. So dont underestimate quality anime like Spice and Wolf or Clannad. If I had to think of any reason for that is that its probably there you end up finding the more interesting character types in anime while also getting more instpired by japanese slice of life.

Inspiring anime is also a big trap to fall into that happend to me pretty early. Like Hikaru no Go that might get you interested in a certain boardgame. Or Hajime no Ippo that gives an inspiring insight in the world of pro boxing.

There are as much different anime as there are different none anime simply put.

I'd say it was rushed, as in, they should have spent the entire 20 odd episodes just on SAO, developed the characters more and given a larger sense of gravity to Kirito's actions. Things like the tiny guild that he joins who die because of him - it was a great idea, but we barely had an episode to get to know them properly. If he'd been with them for a full 2 episodes prior, the weight of what followed would've been catastrophic. I have no complaints about the SAO arc other than it felt too short and the ALO arc just felt like a pointless addition in the name of fan service.

Exoblade - I'd recommend checking out some of the classics too:

Akira
    Ghost In The Shell
    Jin Roh - Wolf Brigade
    3x3 Eyes (Episodes 1-4/OVA 1+2)
    Wings Of Honneamise

All of the above are pretty much story centric, with some great action/intrigue and mostly very solid characters.

15+ Year Old Account
    so ive watched and liked the following and am looking for something new. preferably finished.
    Hagure Yuusha
    High School Dxd
    Isekai no Sekieshi
    Dakara Boku Wa
    Oda Nobuna no Yabo
    High School of the Dead
    Zetsuen No Tempest
    FS N/Z
    Ichiban no daimou
    Guilty Crown
    Code Geass

and there is more, i just cant think of them all.
    if its more than say 50 episodes dont bother listing, im not into the whole bleach/OP etc Marathons.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 07:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I'd say it was rushed, as in, they should have spent the entire 20 odd episodes just on SAO, developed the characters more and given a larger sense of gravity to Kirito's actions. Things like the tiny guild that he joins who die because of him - it was a great idea, but we barely had an episode to get to know them properly. If he'd been with them for a full 2 episodes prior, the weight of what followed would've been catastrophic. I have no complaints about the SAO arc other than it felt too short and the ALO arc just felt like a pointless addition in the name of fan service.

Exoblade - I'd recommend checking out some of the classics too:

Akira
    Ghost In The Shell
    Jin Roh - Wolf Brigade
    3x3 Eyes (Episodes 1-4/OVA 1+2)
    Wings Of Honneamise

All of the above are pretty much story centric, with some great action/intrigue and mostly very solid characters.
    the problem with doing a full 2-3 episodes would have been that they would have to "generate" stuff for them to do. they pretty much followed the Light Novels to the "T" and there wasnt much more for them to add, even adding in the side stories from the light novel.
    Last edited by AceofHarts; 2013-02-20 at 12:04 AM.

so ive watched and liked the following and am looking for something new. preferably finished.
    Hagure Yuusha
    High School Dxd
    Isekai no Sekieshi
    Dakara Boku Wa
    Oda Nobuna no Yabo
    High School of the Dead
    Zetsuen No Tempest
    FS N/Z
    Ichiban no daimou
    Guilty Crown
    Code Geass

and there is more, i just cant think of them all.
    if its more than say 50 episodes dont bother listing, im not into the whole bleach/OP etc Marathons.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 07:05 PM ----------

the problem with doing a full 2-3 episodes would have been that they would have to "generate" stuff for them to do. they pretty much followed the Light Novels to the "T" and there wasnt much more for them to add, even adding in the side stories from the light novel.
    Fair enough, if anything then, it's just unfortunate that there's not more of the SAO arc. On a related note, I'd recommend:

Noein
    Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal
    Bakemonogatari
    Baccano
    Hellsing Ultimate

15+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough, if anything then, it's just unfortunate that there's not more of the SAO arc. On a related note, I'd recommend:

Noein
    Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal
    Bakemonogatari
    Baccano
    Hellsing Ultimate
    thanks, i can honestly say i tried to watch bakemonogatari and i hate the animation style. i donno why i just dont like it.

The entire thing was rushed. Most of the episodes were irrelevant harem hijinks, then a then a bunch of little relevant plot love, then final boss. There was literally no build up to the end then suddenly "hey we're fighting this big bad" and super detective hacker strongerthangamemechanics Kirito discovers the real big bad. That may be how it was in the LN, but that doesn't make it good writing and pacing.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2013-02-20 at 12:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    The entire thing was rushed. Most of the episodes were irrelevant harem hijinks, then a then a sappy love story of "they're in love for plot," then final boss. There was literally no build up to the end then suddenly "hey we're fighting this big bad" and super detective hacker Kirito discovers the real big bad. That may be how it was in the LN, but that doesn't make good writing and pacing.
    so blaim it on the LN and not the Anime. but saying that the anime was rushed is just false, they took what they were given and worked with it.

personally, as far as light novels being made into animes go, im waiting for mahouka koukou no rettousei, its like the onyl one in the top 20 sellers not to have an anime yet.

so blaim it on the LN and not the Anime. but saying that the anime was rushed is just false, they took what they were given and worked with it.
    A faithful adaptation of rushing is still rushed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    A faithful adaptation of rushing is still rushed.
    so would you rather have them blow smoke up everyones butts and do something completely new? way to alienate your fanbase. anyways, i am done talking about this issue.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    hey guys can someone suggest me an anime similar to Toradora or Mayo Chiki? School life romance genre and such.
    Thanks in advance

Maybe:

Ano Natsu de Matteru
    Finished watching, such an amazing anime made my day thanks again
    Last edited by Glaziola; 2013-02-20 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've watched Bleach (my favourite anime so far, even if certain people dislike it), Sword Art Online, Dragon Ball, and a few episodes of Zetsuen no tempest.

I've attempted watching Naruto and don't really like it as much as the others I've watched, but maybe it's a case of getting further into it (only at around episode 45). I'm not a fan of one piece (can't stand the characters). I've also had a look at Full Metal Alchemist (which is nice, but I don't know if I'll watch it just yet).

If anyone can come up with any suggestions based on this, I'd be really grateful, because anime seems to grip my mind in a way other tv shows can't.

so would you rather have them blow smoke up everyones butts and do something completely new? way to alienate your fanbase. anyways, i am done talking about this issue.
    Well, if an anime original would have been better, then sure, Skelington would rather have that.
    What fanbase? No one in the west knew about it before the show was announced and hyped like another jesus. Japan would eat it up either way.