Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

The WoW Recreation Project - Part 1 - Instances!

Ok, I think this is all the dungeons/raids.

The first step is to work out which ones can be made in world (at their respective locations) eg ZG, AQ etc, and which ones need a seperated section and a warp. Things to consider are - how how/low dpoes it go, is there a real representation of it in the game (such as ZG, AQ..) or does it occupy a much larger space than available in game, (such as ICC or Ulduar).

After that, where and by who each will be made. I'm making a start (probably on Ulduar) tonight with a friend, will make it on own server and save schematic, at least until the world is up and location for dungeons is set. Tonight will probably be a LAN game but drop a line if you really want to be a part of Ulda team, I can support 3-4 players on my connection, nearly done setting up a dedicated server on a USA 50mb fibre friends line.

I have started work on a spreadsheet to help format and agree on where to build. I think some of Szes' might be a little optimistic for building in world if we want a good representation of the dungeon. All can edit the spreadsheet, I'll try to keep it backed up in case someone tries to mess it up.

Click for the spread sheet.
    Last edited by wartywarlock; 2011-10-16 at 12:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, thanks for taking initiative, it's indeed smart to make the instances that can't be done in the overworld ahead of time, as they don't require as much space Would be glad to help, but seeing how I'm in europe, that might not be the smoothest, don't know tho, would be glad to help if needed =D
    List of instances with if they fit physically in the overworld:

Blackfathom Deeps YES
    Blackrock Depths YES
    Blackrock Spire maybe, possilby conflicting with depths...
    Deadmines YES
    Dire Maul YES
    Gnomeregan YES
    Maraudon YES
    Ragefire Chasm YES
    Razorfen Downs YES
    Razorfen Kraul YES
    Scarlet Monastery, the instances you do not need to go outside for, yes, the ones you do see open air, no.
    Scholomance YES
    Shadowfang Keep YES
    Stormwind Stockade YES
    Stratholme YES
    Sunken Temple if it doesn't prove to be too deep, yes, if not we might have to put some underground bits above ground, which means no.
    Uldaman YES
    Wailing Caverns YES
    Zul'Farrak YES

Ahn'Qiraj Temple YES, probably not too deep.
    Blackwing Lair maybe, depends how much room BRS will take, if BRS is a no, this is a no as well, and we should put those 2 together.
    Molten Core maybe, probably YES...
    Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj YES

Magister's Terrace would have no clue
    Auchindoun YES, consists of the next 4, and all can be made below surface, the question is if it will fit on same height...
    Auchenai Crypts YES
    Mana-Tombs YES
    Sethekk Halls YES
    Shadow Labyrinth YES
    Caverns of Time YES, instances in it not tho...
    Opening of the Dark Portal maybeeeee, might be the only exeption if we can do it underground, otherwise no.
    The Escape From Durnholde NO
    Coilfang Reservoir
    Serpentshrine Cavern Except for the first huge drop down, yes, if that takes away from the instance too much: no.
    The Slave Pens These 3 instances could be done, but if they conflict with eachother in size, you might only be able to physically fit one in. If the raid instance is being put in too, it might not fit at all.
    The Steamvault ^^^
    The Underbog ^^^
    Hellfire Citadel
    Magtheridon's Lair YES
    Hellfire Ramparts Probably
    The Blood Furnace most likely: no.
    The Shattered Halls most likely: no.
    Tempest Keep
    Tempest Keep raid if the ship fits in,the raid instance should as well.
    The Arcatraz Same, but these ships are smaller, so more likely to fit.
    The Botanica ^^^
    The Mechanar ^^^

Black Temple not sure on this one.
    Gruul's Lair YES
    Karazhan I sure as hell hope so.

The Battle for Mount Hyjal does not fit inside the caverns of time, so NO.
    The Sunwell I sure hope so, but not sure.

Drak'Tharon Keep probably NO, the outside area is nowhere to see from the northrend skies.
    Gundrak YES
    Trial of the Champion YES >.<
    Violet Hold YES
    Azjol-Nerub YES, if the drop isn't made too long.
    Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom probably yes, if not conflicting with AN, roof will be much lower tho.
    The Culling of Stratholme caverns of time again, will not fit inside.
    Halls of Reflection probably NO, not if we want the raid instance in.
    Pit of Saron ^^^
    The Forge of Souls ^^^
    The Nexus YES
    The Oculus YES (it's visible to the outside even in WoW)
    Halls of Lightning Probably yes, seeing how storm peaks requires much height, this might get troublesome, but it could be inside the big ulduar island mountain if it is large enough, could be expanded to the back if needed, instance will not directly start at the entrance tho.
    Halls of Stone probably not, seeing the outside bit not being visible too much, can at least not be done if lightning is done, because both take up a load of space.
    Utgarde Keep YES
    Utgarde Pinnacle probably.

Icecrown Citadel NO, but I would totally love that to be yes
    Naxxramas it will probably make the actual floating thing a lot bigger than it actually is in WoW, but it can be done. if we want to keep the floating thing same size: definitely no.
    Onyxia's Lair YES
    The Eye of Eternity NO, instanced anyways. (this will be the fastest instance ever, but require a load of empty space around it. Worth it? I don't know)
    The Obsidian Sanctum depends on height of Wyrmrest, probably YES, if we don't go too close to the sea, and we can stick under the actual outdoor dragonshrines.
    The Ruby Sanctum ^^^
    Trial of the Crusader same instance as Trial of Champion. Blizzard's lazyness is our ease. Love the spider area under it, definite YES.
    Ulduar NO, too much outdoor
    Vault of Archavon YES

Blackrock Caverns depends on size of mountain, amount of blackrock instances we can do is fairly limited.
    Deadmines already done, is YES
    Grim Batol YES
    Halls of Origination YES
    Lost City of the Tol'vir YES (outdoor area anyways)
    Shadowfang Keep already done, is YES
    The Stonecore Inside Deepholm which is not possibly gonna be on the same map, so NO, not on the main map, but YES, probably fits inside deepholm itself.
    The Vortex Pinnacle NO
    Throne of the Tides probably NO, seeing the depth.
    Zul'Aman YES
    Zul'Gurub YES

Baradin Hold YES
    Blackwing Descent god so much blackrock instances. If we do BWL, we should also do this one.
    Firelands NO
    The Bastion of Twilight NO
    Throne of the Four Winds NO
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

Quote Originally Posted by Szemere View Post
    -snip-
    You can change map generation height.
    Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind

Remember that there's also the Nether. If they're far enough away from eachother you may be able to use nether portals as instance doors, and have the instances in the Nether while having the base area in the main world (though for outdoor instances like ZF, it wouldn't be necessary)

I was just going to suggest like the poster above me. You may be able to build a nether portal and then build that instance from the point it warps you in, as if it were a real instance portal. In fact, I would venture to say that the dungeons will all be far enough apart, that most could use this sort of thing.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Remember that there's also the Nether. If they're far enough away from eachother you may be able to use nether portals as instance doors, and have the instances in the Nether while having the base area in the main world (though for outdoor instances like ZF, it wouldn't be necessary)
    Downside, water evaporates in the nether last time I heard, might have changed tho.

But, if we are going to ridiculously change the height of the maps, we'll be able to do almost every instance on the same map that doesn't have outside area's, by just making a ladder down... (instead of the portals in normal WoW, loadtime:P
    But well, I think some things like the insane drop in serpentshrine caverns, and the depth of the vashj'ir instance, are asking too much of the map, and I heard it had negative sides to it as well? But if we had as much height as we wanted, that changes the list dramatically.

EDIT: Also, any clue on 1.9 ETA? I am way too anxious to start with this, both this and my guild's minecraft projects didn't start yet, and with the other taking ages to get going, I am freaking pumped to start with something... (god, i almost sound like a kid wanting icecream>.<)
    Last edited by Szemere; 2011-10-14 at 03:38 PM.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.

the alternative (and how blizzard do it) using something to link 1 created portal to another such as a mod. when i say "how blizzard do it" i refer to the tardis effect; ever used a private server and flown around the outside of karazhan (while in the instance) for example? or even icecrown citadel? no way all that fits in what we see today on the outside of the instance. this way you could put your instances wherever you wanted.

this does assume the availability of such a mod, something we have used in the past. there's no plan to use one yet but its early days.

Quote Originally Posted by Szemere View Post
    Downside, water evaporates in the nether last time I heard, might have changed tho.

But, if we are going to ridiculously change the height of the maps, we'll be able to do almost every instance on the same map that doesn't have outside area's, by just making a ladder down... (instead of the portals in normal WoW, loadtime:P
    But well, I think some things like the insane drop in serpentshrine caverns, and the depth of the vashj'ir instance, are asking too much of the map, and I heard it had negative sides to it as well? But if we had as much height as we wanted, that changes the list dramatically.

EDIT: Also, any clue on 1.9 ETA? I am way too anxious to start with this, both this and my guild's minecraft projects didn't start yet, and with the other taking ages to get going, I am freaking pumped to start with something... (god, i almost sound like a kid wanting icecream>.<)
    Biggest problem I see in that would be a bit of lag because there's SO much stuff... as for no water, you can probably use the nether for some raid instances (Molten Core being a PERFECT example, though Karazhan and Naxxramas would also be potential Nether instances.) or even regular instances that do not require water.

EDIT: As for a release date, no clue mate :d

I'd be interested in helping you guys, been looking for a multiperson WoW-related project. Send me a private message if you want me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozarib View Post
    the alternative (and how blizzard do it) using something to link 1 created portal to another such as a mod. when i say "how blizzard do it" i refer to the tardis effect; ever used a private server and flown around the outside of karazhan (while in the instance) for example? or even icecrown citadel? no way all that fits in what we see today on the outside of the instance. this way you could put your instances wherever you wanted.

this does assume the availability of such a mod, something we have used in the past. there's no plan to use one yet but its early days.
    Yeah, I think a fair compromise would be to use a portal-traveling mod, and just create all the instances somewhere away from the normal world. Except for the obvious integrated instances which definitely fit, like stockades, ToC, Lost city, possibly deadmines... I mean, for the servers I have seen, it is common use to have a portal with a sign on the side, on which you select where you want to go, and then use it. If we could just for the instance portals eliminate the choice, we should be able to remake every single portal thought of in the game. No real need to actually build stuff in the nether, except for shit like Molten Core, which would fit there geniously (no, not firelands, it is open air, just creating an area and replacing all dirt by netherack, should do?)...

But yeah, I think I'll be recreating that list, and posting it in a more sensible manner, and assume infinite height for some (I'll just list all of them under categories of possibilities) But again, if I can join in on any preparations on this project, let me know please, I have too much time I spend in minecraft, and finished most projects I had, so in need of a new one:P

Yeah I don't seem to be able use html to make a table otherwise I'd have knocked up a nicer looking deal. If we can get infinite hight that would be fantastic! My only worry would be the mod breaking or notch making such a thing impossible (can't really see notch doing that) and us loosing half our map or something dramatic like that o.O

Certainly agree MC, stuff like that would really benefit from the red hue of the nether. It'd be nice if we could squeeze one dungeon into areas like blackrock mountain, but I think due to sheer size we'd have to make a number of concessions to the outer area to do so, and if we have nice reliable portals like the sign one (great mod) then there wont be any issue getting them all in. I guess a lot of this really depends on server configuration and whether or not we can get better height of maps.

Deleted
    Sounds really good. Please let me know if you need any help, as I will indeed be glad to help with whatever is needed. Can't wait to see all these instances finally put together!

Even though you said icecrown citadel could not feasibly be done i beg to differ
    http://www.planetminecraft.com/proje...itadel-155928/
    it appears to be very good and to scale if they can do it so can we.

like said you can change hight to 512 blocks or something surely we can fit dept in though throne of the tides we need to go down in the ocean down to the deepest part then below another room that will probally not work out indeed

p.s. glad we are getting started

p.p.s. i would call dibs on aszhara cannon i frikking love cannons in minecraft like szemere knows :P

Me and Vykrn (can he be added to whitelist please) are shaping up Eye of Eternity as we speak, carved out a section and working on the top platform and scale atm, will post screenies when I'm back on a good pc.

Quote Originally Posted by wartywarlock View Post
    Me and Vykrn (can he be added to whitelist please)
    Just get them to pm me on the forum

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronis View Post
    Even though you said icecrown citadel could not feasibly be done i beg to differ
    http://www.planetminecraft.com/proje...itadel-155928/
    it appears to be very good and to scale if they can do it so can we.
    I love the idea. Just made the bottom part a bit fatter, make deathwhispers lift go to the back of the instance (ladder lol), ramparts around it, gunship connected to each rampart, then deathbringers rise a big higher, and door back in, into the fat part, make the middle a bit smaller, and just make the top of the building decrease slowly in fatness. Also, lol @ ladder that is gonna have to be right in the middle all the way up.

Current status of putting the minimaps of WoW onto a minecraft map:

Source and result (trade district only).

Needs some more work, but getting there!

10+ Year Old Account
    pfew, that's actually already pretty detailed:O If we're actually gonna be working with such maps on the ground, I am so sure we will definitely be able to get this entire world going, this just gives us a blueprint: build this here, and you have this much space... The only real questions that leaves me with is just for what kind of plugins we are actually going to be able to use when building, and what kind of plugins will be in the final version (like teleporting systems)

Is this WoW recreation server and the cursecraft server going to be the same just with portals connecting? or they seperate entitys all together? if they are different my MC name is Veb1223 if they are one in the same ignore this post.