Page 1 of 2
LastLast

i7 2600k @ 4Ghz, how?

So, i just got H70 corsair watercooler, and i'm thinking in give my cpu a small upgrade.

I get 33c, 31c, 32c, 31c idle and around 41c, 45c, 47c, 42c - in full load.

What are the stats to get a stable 4Ghz, where i should change it? Bios or any program?

Thanks in advance guys

Deleted
    The title of this should be how do I overclock my CPU? You should be able to reach 4ghz on the stock cooler with a semi decent case. It seems unusual you have gone out and bought a water cooler without knowledge on how to do this.

There are many comprehensive guides on how to do this online, I suggest a little-known website called google which may aid you in your search.

But what it all boils down to is trial and error, which I doubt is the answer you wanted but tough luck, that's the best way to do it. Increase things slowly and steadily, and only 1 thing at once. If stability breaks down, increase vcore, etc. Not rocket science really.

* Mod Warning: Something being easy for you does not mean it's easy for everyone. I'm a devil at knitting and doing crochet, yet I don't expect everyone to have it as easy as I have it with that. Play nice.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-10-15 at 03:27 PM.

I didn't bought the watercooler to do an overclock. I bought cause of estetic, just cause i wanted to have one, nothing less nothing more. And now i want to OC the CPU to 4ghz

What is your motherboards chipset? What kind of motherboard do you have?

15+ Year Old Account
    Clock it to 4GHZ and set voltage to auto. When you get past 4.5, youre gona need to manualy set the voltage and to some extensive stress testing.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Clock it to 4GHZ and set voltage to auto. When you get past 4.5, youre gona need to manualy set the voltage and to some extensive stress testing.
    You mean, get the multiplicator x40?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iplaytokill View Post
    yes

10 chars
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    multiplier and yes. You can easily go with 4.2 or 4.3Ghz on auto voltage. If you want to go higher then you have to play with your voltages.

Here is a decent guide for beginner's and overclocking a Sandybridge CPU. The guide title says its for a P67 but the premise is the same.

Thank you very much guys..!

AWESOME guide, start reading already

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you very much guys..!

AWESOME guide, start reading already
    What board do you have? If it's MSI I would love to help, but not tonight, too many drinks Some may have a bit more specific knowledge for your setup and board and are very helpful in lending a hand.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    What board do you have? If it's MSI I would love to help, but not tonight, too many drinks Some may have a bit more specific knowledge for your setup and board and are very helpful in lending a hand.
    ^ he linked it above: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

10+ Year Old Account
    4.4 just with the auto overclocker for me :P Really should do it properly sometime..

10+ Year Old Account
    I was mislead by your title. I thought you were wondering how you possibly managed to stabilize one. Sadface, no fun story for me to read.

You'll also need to disable some things Like C1E, C States, EIST, Turbo and power management.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonlust View Post
    You'll also need to disable some things Like C1E, C States, EIST, Turbo and power management.
    why on earth should he disable that?.

it helps you save power when you are just browsing or doing other stuff that don`t need much of the system.

once he needs full power it will start the turbo boost and wolla the cpu is at 4.0GHz if that is what he ends up OCìng it to
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

CBA to make a new thread, will the stock fan of i7 2600k be enough to overclock 4.2 ghz?

Quote Originally Posted by felix014 View Post
    CBA to make a new thread, will the stock fan of i7 2600k be enough to overclock 4.2 ghz?
    I wouldn't do it. You'd probably idle in the 60c range. With a nice processor like that you should invest a little more and get the nice cpu cooler to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonlust View Post
    Good advice back in the C2D/Bloomfield days, but this advice is now obsolete. The Sandy Bridge CPUs overclock just fine with all of those features enabled (I can benchmark my 2500K at 5.0GHz with those features enabled, and disabling them does not improve stability at or past that clock.)
    Super casual.