comparing 2 HP laptops - your thoughts?

HP dv6-6180us 15.6" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Notebook
    HP Pavilion dv7-6165us 17.3" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Notebook

(Can't post links yet on these forums)

Replacing a 5 year + old Dell Latitude D820. It's time to move on. Any thoughts on these two HP laptops? I'm partial to the one with 1600X900 resolution, since it's also cheaper. Looking to run games likw WoW, D3, the new Star Wars MMO eventually. No real high-end games. Also use audio editing programs, but rely on external speakers for that work. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The HP dv6-6180us 15.6" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Notebook will be the better performer due to the i7 CPU and a dedicated HD6770M graphics chip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be sure to uninstall the HP bloatware it comes with either way, that stuff sucks.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

I work for HP and own a DV6. It's awesome. Beats Audio, Coolsense, locking touchpad, 10-key, fingerprint reader. Great features and performance.

i've been looking at a DV6 myself. Think thats what i'll be buying here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Darklocke View Post
    i've been looking at a DV6 myself. Think thats what i'll be buying here soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mirix View Post
    I work for HP and own a DV6. It's awesome. Beats Audio, Coolsense, locking touchpad, 10-key, fingerprint reader. Great features and performance.
    "Dv6" doesn't really say much lol.
    I have a dv6 and it's several years old, with crappy 4650m graphics.
    There's so many different dv6 laptops... it's just a "style".
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    "Dv6" doesn't really say much lol.
    I have a dv6 and it's several years old, with crappy 4650m graphics.
    There's so many different dv6 laptops... it's just a "style".
    Why would he be buying a 2-3 year old machine? He's looking at buying a DV6, meaning it'll be this years model, which I have.

---------- Post added 2011-10-15 at 09:09 PM ----------

@valuefanboy

The main difference between the DV6 and DV7 models (besides the obvious size) is with the DV7 you get a second hard drive slot, sub woofer, and generally a 9-cell battery.

Quote Originally Posted by mirix View Post
    Why would he be buying a 2-3 year old machine? He's looking at buying a DV6, meaning it'll be this years model, which I have.

---------- Post added 2011-10-15 at 09:09 PM ----------

@valuefanboy

The main difference between the DV6 and DV7 models (besides the obvious size) is with the DV7 you get a second hard drive slot, sub woofer, and generally a 9-cell battery.
    You'd be surprised how many people come to this forum looking to buy new computers and link ones with several generations old hardware in them.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

thanks for all the replies.
    Ended up going with HP Pavilion dv7-4296nr Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi AMD Radeon HD 6570M
    Was torn between this and the beefier version, with double the RAM and HD space. But coming in under $1000 was pretty important to me, and I don't game (hard) enough to need more than this. Actually ended up browsing different brands and consumer reports for several hours, and came back full circle to the dv6 and dv7 as the right options for me. We'll see.