Page 30 of 120 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm only 530 geared and 2/13H so I can't really say much other than you seem to be doing just fine, and you WOULD have ranked on H Durumu except you already have a better ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    I'm only 530 geared and 2/13H so I can't really say much other than you seem to be doing just fine, and you WOULD have ranked on H Durumu except you already have a better ranking.
    Thanks for replying Rock, I ran my own logs last night during raid and some of my guildies were explaining some of the ins and outs of world of logs, such as multiple parses of the same fight aren't identical and you'll only have ranking info for the best parse. I feel like I have been told about only being able to hold one rank per boss on WoL, but it didn't cross my mind on the Durumu encounter.

How are you guys calculating SS uptime or how many times you had to reapply SS? Also, I don't see kill command in the list of spells by damage (assuming due to the fact the pet does the damage). Is there an easy way to count how many kill commands you use during an encounter?

Deleted
    Go to damage done and then hit the show pet option on the right side side of the screen. That should display all the pet names that were used in your raid so all you have to do is just click your pet's name and it will tell you what it did and the number of times it did it.

That works, or you can click the little arrow next to your name on the damage done page and it'll show only your pets. Also for SS uptime, you can click on your name in damage done, then click on the 'Damage By Spell' tabl. There is an 'Uptime' column there, and you can see your SS uptime was 96.8%. (SS uptime can get a bit wonky when there are adds and stuff, but it's usually pretty good). You can see how many times you cast SS by clicking the 'Buffs Cast' tab. Under Debuffs you can see Serpent Sting there.

Awesome thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Thalin View Post
    Spec BM and Survival
    Item Level 546
    Expectations: Higher Consistent Log Rankings
    Armory Link: Thalin
    Worldoflogs Link: Most Recent Raid Log
    Femaledwarf Link: Current BM DPS

snip
    It's 4:30 AM here and I just wanted to point out something glaring

Both of the other hunters in your Durumu kill had 99%+ uptime and both of them did less than 140k.. one less than 100k which is appalling. The more time you spend outside of your opening burst the less DPS you do over the course of the fight (this is true for anyone and everyone), having those two in your raid pulling numbers like that is not helping your cause personally

Aside from that..

7.91 period on KC could be better
    Beast Cleave damage could be much better. Manually move your pet right below Durumu and cast Multi Shot on him to get the most out of Beast Cleave
    You got pretty unlucky - 23.5% crit on Kill Shot. Nothing you can do about that
    You should be using Dire Beast
    Trinket procs were merely average. Nothing you can do about that

Hey Dreaded, thanks for taking the time to reply. As far as the other hunters are concerned, they are both new apps to the guild, they both aren't really geared, well one more so than the other and it was the first time either had done durumu on heroic. Not sure if that makes a difference with the discrepancy in their performance or not, but figured it was worth pointing out.

What do you mean by 7.91 on kill command? Also, if I'm understanding your suggestion, just before Ice walls I should manually position my pet just under durumu? The way I have been approaching it, is to leave the pet on Durumu the entire encounter and then toss an explosive under the boss for ice wall followed by barrage and multishot spam. Do you have a pic of pet positioning and cleave range/targets? I'd be interested to see optimal pet positioning based on the mechanic just for future reference as well.

I've read a few times around the forums that for aoe use, fervor is a better choice than dire beast, and I definitely agree with that as far as SV spec is concerned. Once beast cleave got buffed, I just assumed that sentiment would be the same for BM spec. What makes dire beast the better choice here?

Last question regarding this particular encounter, is it worth delaying BW for the second Ice Wall? I can get BW to line up good with the first wall, but casting it on cooldown after than puts it roughly thirty seconds out of sync with the second wall.

What do you mean by 7.91 on kill command?
    Means you cast kill command every 7.91 seconds on average. It has a 6s cooldown so you're casting (around) 3 every 24 seconds when it should be 4. (In a perfect world, of course. It's impossible to get it to exactly 6s, but the closer the better)

Means you cast kill command every 7.91 seconds on average. It has a 6s cooldown so you're casting (around) 3 every 24 seconds when it should be 4. (In a perfect world, of course. It's impossible to get it to exactly 6s, but the closer the better)
    Okay that makes sense. Yeah I think I have a bad habit of delaying KC when I'm already casting Cobra, even if I just started casting it. I've been trying to get better at it.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Okay that makes sense. Yeah I think I have a bad habit of delaying KC when I'm already casting Cobra, even if I just started casting it. I've been trying to get better at it.
    You can create a stopcasting bind and put it on something like a thumb button. This has the adverse effect of resetting auto shot cadence, but it's better than repeatedly delaying Kill Command. You just need to be better about seeing when Kill Command has <2s left and not start casting a Cobra Shot. Try to leave yourself enough focus to cast an instant before KC.

This is actually a lot more annoying with SV because of LnL being hard to predict.

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    You can create a stopcasting bind and put it on something like a thumb button. This has the adverse effect of resetting auto shot cadence, but it's better than repeatedly delaying Kill Command. You just need to be better about seeing when Kill Command has <2s left and not start casting a Cobra Shot. Try to leave yourself enough focus to cast an instant before KC.

This is actually a lot more annoying with SV because of LnL being hard to predict.
    In Cata I would simply tap a direction to break my casting and fire off what I needed to. Once they let us cast on the move, I had to change that habit which resulted in me making macros with stopcast built in for all of my main shots. So I do try to break cobra casting, I just think I could be a bit better at it overall. Is there a particular point or cutoff where you guys are letting cobra cast vs cutting it off to hit KC? Or Explosive Shot / Black Arrow?

Also, do you think having stopcast in my shot macros is causing a reduction in autoshots? It was my under standing that a lot of ppl did this so I would assume it's not too detrimental.
    Last edited by Thalin; 2013-07-20 at 02:10 PM.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Auto Shot has its own separate, invisible cast. That's why you need two lines of /stopcasting as a hunter..one to interrupt Auto Shot, and the next to interrupt Cobra Shot / Steady Shot. So yes, you should try to avoid interrupting Cobra Shot as much as possible via planning, but you should still do it if you find yourself stuck early in a cast and a hard hitting ability comes off CD.

I'm going to need a more experienced hunter to back me up on this, but I was under the assumption that you should NEVER cancel a cobra shot. As soon as you start the cast you're locked in for at least 1s. Especially now with people now stacking haste (Thalin is), cobra shot has an average cast time of 1.19s for him (according to female dwarf, higher with no haste buff, lower with focus fire). Canceling cobra is always a bad idea.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have 12615 haste (42.65% with phys/melee haste buff.) Cobra Shot's tooltip reads 1.4s at this point. If you do make the mistake of casting a Cobra Shot with .1s left on Kill Command, Explosive Shot, Kill Shot, etc. you can cancel it without getting locked into a 1s GCD if that's what you mean. This is a situation where you've made a mistake already by not simply waiting for the more powerful shot to come off cooldown. You exacerbate the problem by waiting an additional 1.4s.

Average shot time in FD is a a result of Rapid Fire, Lust/Heroism, possible trinkets, racials, etc. Not that it matters, delaying your hard hitting signature shots consistently by >1s while having the power to stop it is bad.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2013-07-22 at 01:23 PM.

I'm going to need a more experienced hunter to back me up on this, but I was under the assumption that you should NEVER cancel a cobra shot. As soon as you start the cast you're locked in for at least 1s. Especially now with people now stacking haste (Thalin is), cobra shot has an average cast time of 1.19s for him (according to female dwarf, higher with no haste buff, lower with focus fire). Canceling cobra is always a bad idea.
    i got bored at work today and tryed reading up on hunterstuff, i remember reading about this issue in the elitist jerk mop q&a http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t130612-...2/#post2227603

so the short answer is no, its never worth it, just plan ahead or go with it, its overall a dps loss doing the interrupt thingy.

Yeah sure it's 1.4 unbuffed, but with focus fire (just looking at Thalin's durumu kill, he had a 47% uptime on focus fire), and bloodlust, it'll average out to be less than that.

But my whole point is moot if starting the cast doesn't incur the 1s GCD. Is that not the case anymore?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah sure it's 1.4 unbuffed, but with focus fire (just looking at Thalin's durumu kill, he had a 47% uptime on focus fire), and bloodlust, it'll average out to be less than that.

But my whole point is moot if starting the cast doesn't incur the 1s GCD. Is that not the case anymore?
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm at a dummy right now... As soon as I cancel Cobra Shot, even if it's only .1s in, that GCD on my action bar icons goes away and I can use any other ability instantly.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm at a dummy right now... As soon as I cancel Cobra Shot, even if it's only .1s in, that GCD on my action bar icons goes away and I can use any other ability instantly.
    Yeah I'm at work so can't test anything. Reading further on in the thread Wega posted people are saying the same thing that you are, so it seems I'm remembering incorrectly, or it was changed at some point.

I think I'll continue to not interrupt cobra though (or even better not cast it within 1s of a big shot coming off CD), as reacting to it during a fight, pressing a button to stop casting, then pressing explosive, and accounting for lag, may turn out as a loss even if it doesn't incur the GCD.

Hmm, I've never checked out an induced global after cancelling cobra, but certainly will today. I did however, hit the dummy with an autoshot cast bar enabled and no matter how many times I spammed a macro with /stopcasting in it, my autoshot timer stayed true and was never cancelled or altered. The autoshots were always perfectly synced with the swing timer and the timer never reset, delayed, etc. I'm not sure if this was something you observed some time ago kidsafe, but check again on a dummy today to confirm what I noticed.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm lazy, I have 2x /stopcasting in my Feign Death macro bound to "Mouse 5" and also use simple Corsair K90 macros so I can hold down my keyboard binds. Just takes a twitch of my thumb really, and it's very beneficial for targets that require burst like Essence of Anima, Venom Priests, Twisted Fates, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, I've never checked out an induced global after cancelling cobra, but certainly will today. I did however, hit the dummy with an autoshot cast bar enabled and no matter how many times I spammed a macro with /stopcasting in it, my autoshot timer stayed true and was never cancelled or altered. The autoshots were always perfectly synced with the swing timer and the timer never reset, delayed, etc. I'm not sure if this was something you observed some time ago kidsafe, but check again on a dummy today to confirm what I noticed.
    Hmm, that's good to hear if true.

EDIT: Yeah, it looks like in practice you'll probably never nullify an Auto Shot unless your /stopcasting invocation lines up exactly with the shot about to go off.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2013-07-22 at 02:04 PM.