Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Corsair vs G.Skill

Hey.
    I plan to buy an Asus Z68 Motherboard, using an i7-2600k with Noctua NH-c14 cooler.
    Im thinking about the following RAM:
    - Vengeance™ — 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B)
    - Vengeance™ Low Profile Blue — 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML16GX3M4A1600C9B)
    or
    - G.Skill Ripjaws - Memory - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9 - 1.5 V - unbuffered - non-ECC

Im having the following concerns:
    - I dont seem to find G.Skill Ram in my country, therefore I would have to buy off other sites.
    - I've been reading lots of issues between the Corsair RAM and the Z68 motherboard.
    - I couldnt find these Corsair RAM in the Motherboard accepted Memory list.
    - I first wanted to go for "- Vengeance™ — 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B)", but then realized it might not fit, because of the cooler.

Is it really worth me getting G.Skill over Coursair, or it doesnt matter, given the fact that its more complicated to get those.
    Any feedback is appreciated.

Regards

Deleted
    Well for gaming, 16GB is pretty much a waste. The most you'll realistically need is 8GB, even that's a slight touch of overkill. And tbh, RAM is RAM. Get the cheapest that is fast enough and big enough.

Deleted
    16GB will be a waste in a few years as well?
    Im planning to make it so it leasts for as many years as possible.

Deleted
    16GB, why? Why not just get 8gb (2x4gb) of corsair for cheaper?

They're borth reliable brands and performance for ripjaw X and Vengeance is almost identical. The Vengeance has a pretty big physical size so I don't know how well it's going to fit with the NH-c14.

ps. In what country do you live if you can't find G.Skill? O.o

I'd suggest getting the "low profile" corsair ram... much less likely to block the cooler.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Romania

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangel7 View Post
    Romania
    Ok. I'd go for a Ripjaw X 1600MHz 2x4gb or Vengeance 2x4gb 1600MHz, whichever is cheaper really. If they're both same price i'd take G.Skill because it's smaller. The price should be about 50-55€ max.

Try to check if your CPU cooler is physically compatible with the Vengeance, there'll most likely be no trouble though.

Both will work just fine with the z68 motherboard.

I have two computers, one running Ripjaws & one running Corsair on a P67. We have massive heatsinks... both work perfectly fine and fit perfectly fine. Hope that helps :P

Deleted
    Thanks for the tips.
    I looked for 2x4, but they seem out of stock of it, so my only option is 4x4.

Deleted
    By the time 16GB isn't a waste and is mandatory for gaming, everything you can buy nowadays will be useless and need to be replaced to be able to play those games. So like. Yeah, it's a waste.

Deleted
    Get Corsair Low Profile 8GB.

Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    By the time 16GB isn't a waste and is mandatory for gaming, everything you can buy nowadays will be useless and need to be replaced to be able to play those games. So like. Yeah, it's a waste.
    Pretty much this.
    You will never need 16gb ddr3 ram... by the time you need more than 8gb you'll need to replace it with ddr4 ram anyways.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Thanks for the tips.
    I looked for 2x4, but they seem out of stock of it, so my only option is 4x4.
    I'm sure there's some way to get 2x4gb to you. 4x4gb is a waste of money.

Deleted
    Yeah, good points, will see what I can do, thanks guys

10+ Year Old Account
    Possibly, but by the time 16GB isn't overkill, 1333MHz/1600MHz will be slow and DDR3 will be outdated.

Edit: Damnit, you guys beat me to it!

What you want for gaming use is 2x4 GB kit of 1.5v 1600MHz DDR3 sticks. Any faster or any more will do big fat nothing and when 8GB is not enough for games, DDR3 will be outdated also.

Speaking of waste for gaming use... You can also switch to i5-2500K, will save another 100€. Hyperthreading will not help in any current or announced mainstream games, and odds are in about two years you can put in much faster CPU into the same motherboard to get a real speed boost.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Until games start running in full 64-bit mode, yes, yes it will. 16GB is the baseline for professional rendering systems, and the average for the home rendering system. 8GB is for the high end gamer who multitasks a LOT, while 4GB is the standard for most systems these days. I'd still recommend 8GB over 4GB, purely because it's better to have it and not need it than vice versa.
    Correct me if am am wrong, but large amount of ram also allow you to disable the page file but info on the pros/cons of doing this never seem to be simply put.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Correct me if am am wrong, but large amount of ram also allow you to disable the page file but info on the pros/cons of doing this never seem to be simply put.
    8GB is enough to disable pagefile for 99% of this forum's readers. I do video editing on weekly basis and have bunch of crap open on second monitor while playing WoW, and have never been even close to running out of memory with pagefile set to 512MB minimum/maximum. I set it to 512MB to free up space from SSD, as windows reserves 1.5 times the amount of physical RAM for pagefile by default (12GB pagefile with 8GB RAM) and that 11GB of disc space used for nothing was really unacceptable waste of expensive SSD space.

When you disable pagefile alt-tabbing will be faster as no parts of background programs will be ever paged, but downside is that some (misbehaving) old programs will actually try to allocate RAM directly from pagefile and will crash if it's disabled complaining the PC is out of memory. Had that problem with old Photoshop for example (v4 or v5 or something like that), setting pagefile to 128MB fixed it back then.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

By the time you'll need 16gb for a game, they would have moved on from DDR3.
    New and shiny compppppp!

Deleted
    One thing I've learned in IT, is that you can never have enough RAM. Sure, you might not need more than 8GB, but "back in the day", I didn't need more than four... 1.5 years later, I ended up buying new RAM.

It really depends on how you use your computer - I multitask quite a bit, and have stuff like VMware running, etc. If the 16 GB is not too much more expensive, why not... If you do only get 8, you can always get another two sticks later (provided you get 2x4GB now).

As one poster said, you also can get rid (or mostly - you need a bit if the system has to create memory dumps) of the paging file. You can do that with 8 as well, it just feels "safer" doing it with 16.

My personal opinion is if you have the money, and are willing to spend it, go for 16GB - especially if you're planning on using the machine for a while. I did the exact same thing just two weeks ago.

Oh yeah - to your main question - check out the MoBo's hardware compatibility list and get what ASUS tested. Even if other ones work, there's no use risking problems, etc. Personally, I tend to favor Corsair just because I've had the best experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Icpie View Post
    By the time you'll need 16gb for a game, they would have moved on from DDR3.
    But that doesn't mean he will be upgrading his computer then.. Planned right, you can skip a few generations before needing to upgrade (Exception being the video card mainly).