Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Being overweight.

I'm curious to ask this question, as it's not a topic easily discussed face to face.

What is it like being overweight? Do you feel stigmatized day to day from it? Do you think it's overstated how unhealthy it is for you personally, and do you even have people IRL that will mention your weight? I find it hard to get my head around how once in that state you wouldn't actively try to get out of it. Over the summer I was unwell and lost a lot of definition, especially Abs region and went nuts once I was well enough getting into shape.

To those not overweight in this thread, do you think it's something we should concern ourselves with? For example, if you had a friend heading over 280 pounds, would you say they need to sort out their weight? Why isn't this any different from someone who is drinking heavily or smokes too much? All three cause long term and dangerous health problems, but being overweight is ignored.

There is hostility on both ends I find when this discussion comes up. One side, the "thin" people, degrade overweight people and people clearly fat claim it's perfectly normal and nothing to be ashamed of. Both are wrong in my opinion, you don't need to be in great shape but should be somewhere in the middle.

Deleted
    i always kind of wondered same thing, but more of if they realise they are getting into that state, did overweight people notice they were getting larger? and if so why didnt they do something about it earlier? or is it that they dont really notice themselves getting larger until its to late for them to change their ways?

People don't criticize weight because of all this Bully shit going on... If you're fat you're fucking fat thats not my fault. and "God made me this way"

Ending it is all I fucking think about, that's the shit I think about
    All alone, bawling 'til my mothafuckin' eyes bleed

10+ Year Old Account
    We're not going to have another thread that's only bashing fat people, if this goes that way, it will be locked and people will be infracted.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hi, I'm overweight(260-280ish).

1. What is it like being skinny? You look down and see your stomach. That's really about it.
    2. Kinda, but not really?
    3. I know it's unhealthy, and I'm trying to get into better shape. No one ever brings it up, even back in highschool(2 years ago or so)(And I had a lot of people who hated me)
    4. A lot of depression, and being in the state for almost all of my life due to a misfortunate event in my past. I am actively trying to get out of the state, however.(Though only recently)

PeggleFTW
    1. I didn't notice it at all, actually. Or maybe I did, a chunk of my childhood is kinda vague
    2. It's never too late to change your ways. That's an excuse and a lie people tell themselves.

i think obesity creates the same kind of uncanny valley-ness that other body modification does, like putting horns on your forehead, or many surgeries etc etc...

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not that bad, like im not obese im just a tad chubby from gaming, but the downside to being big'ish is not having a girlfriend and having low confidence. Especially at uni, where its babes galore and yeah... working on it though, I wanna join the airforce eventually once I finish my degree

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    I'm curious to ask this question, as it's not a topic easily discussed face to face.

What is it like being overweight? Do you feel stigmatized day to day from it? Do you think it's overstated how unhealthy it is for you personally, and do you even have people IRL that will mention your weight? I find it hard to get my head around how once in that state you wouldn't actively try to get out of it. Over the summer I was unwell and lost a lot of definition, especially Abs region and went nuts once I was well enough getting into shape.

To those not overweight in this thread, do you think it's something we should concern ourselves with? For example, if you had a friend heading over 280 pounds, would you say they need to sort out their weight? Why isn't this any different from someone who is drinking heavily or smokes too much? All three cause long term and dangerous health problems, but being overweight is ignored.

There is hostility on both ends I find when this discussion comes up. One side, the "thin" people, degrade overweight people and people clearly fat claim it's perfectly normal and nothing to be ashamed of. Both are wrong in my opinion, you don't need to be in great shape but should be somewhere in the middle.
    My signature may make people think I'm still fat. But I do a lot of lifting and I just got my body fat % taken and found out friday I'm only 17 pounds over my ideal weight. I'm currently 280(Only update it every 6 months now in sig) and my ideal weight is 263 with my muscle mass. So, just wanted to clear that up before you thought "Oh mr 280 is fat and thinks he's thin, blah"

When I was overweight I hated it. I hated that I had moobs and hated even more that I had rolls. I never wore decent clothing because I didn't want any part of my body being accentuated. I wore very baggy clothes. I assumed everyone was judging me, and even now that I'm not fat, I still have that stigma in my head. Being overweight changed me.

I went through a phase where i told people "I'm happy with who i am" but to be honest, anyone that is fat that tells you that is full of shit. Struggling to stand up, keep up with friends while walking, bending the seat of your car, breaking chairs(especially lawn chairs), is nothing anyone can be happy about. I hated every minute of being fat.

The reason I didn't do anything is the same reason a lot of people don't change bad things in their life. People don't want to step outside of their comfort zone. People stay with abusive spouses, stay in poor jobs, etc, etc, because it's what they are used to, and even though it's bad, people are more comfortable with what they are used to.

My gf(ex now, still great friends) came down stairs when I was playing wow and took a pic of me without my shirt on. That was the turning point. I couldn't take it anymore. It was gross.

And I'll tell you, losing all that fat, gaining all that muscle, has done wonders for me in my social life as well as making me feel better. I have picked up gorgeous girls at the bar, people come up to me and ask me for tips on putting on muscle/keeping off weight, as well as just wanting to chat in general. I used to be that guy in the corner that was just there as an accessory. It's hard to keep it from going to my head sometimes when I'm out.

I do think being in good weight range is something that should be taken seriously. In the U.S. it costs 280 billion in tax dollars a year, more than smoking and drinking together cost in health effects. on average it costs over $4000 a year for a woman to be obese and over $2500 for a man.(Statistics on this are in a medical journal at my gym)

I don't think it's right for thin people to degrade fat people. When I was made fun of all it made me do was want to eat more, because eating made me comfortable. Sitting down and becoming friends with a fat person and then helping them in a positive way would be so much more beneficial.

And being overweight is not normal, is something to be ashamed of, and I'm still embarrassed at how fat I was.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post

PeggleFTW
    1. I didn't notice it at all, actually. Or maybe I did, a chunk of my childhood is kinda vague
    2. It's never too late to change your ways. That's an excuse and a lie people tell themselves.

ok, its jsut when i see those really large people that can barely walk, and its always boggled me how people can let them selves get to that size. i dont know anyone who has been skinny then got fat as i know them, only people i know who are fat, always have been for as long as ive known them so never really known much about it.
    and about the to late to do anything about it, i meant do people see whats happening and think its too late for them to change what theyre doing, maybe because of no one helping them change, i know that changing your ways and making big changes in life is hard without support.

Deleted

1. What is it like being skinny? You look down and see your stomach. That's really about it.
    3. I know it's unhealthy, and I'm trying to get into better shape. No one ever brings it up, even back in highschool(2 years ago or so)(And I had a lot of people who hated me)
    4. A lot of depression, and being in the state for almost all of my life due to a misfortunate event in my past. I am actively trying to get out of the state, however.(Though only recently)

PeggleFTW
    So do you find it harder to exercise or diet? Most people I know who try to get fit find the diet the worst. Telling someone to eat only 1500 calories and little carbs, lots of protein etc, they'd rather run 5 miles a day:P

10+ Year Old Account

PeggleFTW
    This basically sums it up, well said

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    Its not that bad, like im not obese im just a tad chubby from gaming, but the downside to being big'ish is not having a girlfriend and having low confidence. Especially at uni, where its babes galore and yeah... working on it though, I wanna join the airforce eventually once I finish my degree
    tbh, wieght odesnt have much to having a GF, unless its the really hot girls that only date "really hot" (in a non gay way) guys. i see plenty of larger people with GFs. i am not skinny but not fat, i look quite skinny though, and i dont have a GF

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i always kind of wondered same thing, but more of if they realise they are getting into that state, did overweight people notice they were getting larger? and if so why didnt they do something about it earlier? or is it that they dont really notice themselves getting larger until its to late for them to change their ways?
    I was always a porker. I remember in kindergarten getting made fun of. The clothes I wear now I wouldn't have fit in in 8th grade. Why didn't I do anything earlier? Like I said, part of it was a comfort zone, another part is, the US is so set on making everyone feel special and happy and drive self-esteem down our throats so people think being overweight is acceptable.

I tried numerous times. Didn't take it as seriously until now. Now I'm afraid to go more than 2 days without being in the gym. I'm really afraid to go back to where I was.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Penatar View Post
    My signature may make people think I'm still fat. But I do a lot of lifting and I just got my body fat % taken and found out friday I'm only 17 pounds over my ideal weight. I'm currently 280(Only update it every 6 months now in sig) and my ideal weight is 263 with my muscle mass. So, just wanted to clear that up before you thought "Oh mr 280 is fat and thinks he's thin, blah"

SNIP

And being overweight is not normal, is something to be ashamed of, and I'm still embarrassed at how fat I was.
    Thanks for your great post^_^

10+ Year Old Account

When I was overweight I hated it. I hated that I had moobs and hated even more that I had rolls. I never wore decent clothing because I didn't want any part of my body being accentuated. I wore very baggy clothes. I assumed everyone was judging me, and even now that I'm not fat, I still have that stigma in my head. Being overweight changed me.

I went through a phase where i told people "I'm happy with who i am" but to be honest, anyone that is fat that tells you that is full of shit. Struggling to stand up, keep up with friends while walking, bending the seat of your car, breaking chairs(especially lawn chairs), is nothing anyone can be happy about. I hated every minute of being fat.

The reason I didn't do anything is the same reason a lot of people don't change bad things in their life. People don't want to step outside of their comfort zone. People stay with abusive spouses, stay in poor jobs, etc, etc, because it's what they are used to, and even though it's bad, people are more comfortable with what they are used to.

My gf(ex now, still great friends) came down stairs when I was playing wow and took a pic of me without my shirt on. That was the turning point. I couldn't take it anymore. It was gross.

And I'll tell you, losing all that fat, gaining all that muscle, has done wonders for me in my social life as well as making me feel better. I have picked up gorgeous girls at the bar, people come up to me and ask me for tips on putting on muscle/keeping off weight, as well as just wanting to chat in general. I used to be that guy in the corner that was just there as an accessory. It's hard to keep it from going to my head sometimes when I'm out.

I do think being in good weight range is something that should be taken seriously. In the U.S. it costs 280 billion in tax dollars a year, more than smoking and drinking together cost in health effects. on average it costs over $4000 a year for a woman to be obese and over $2500 for a man.(Statistics on this are in a medical journal at my gym)

I don't think it's right for thin people to degrade fat people. When I was made fun of all it made me do was want to eat more, because eating made me comfortable. Sitting down and becoming friends with a fat person and then helping them in a positive way would be so much more beneficial.

WOW thats awesome dude! I have a freind, we were pretty similar sizes in highschool (about a year ago now), just as we were finishing our exams and stuff, he decided to get fit... now he probably weights about 70kg (not sure what that is in pounds), has an super hot girlfriend and enjoys life. Im pretty jealous but cant find the motivation to start

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    tbh, wieght odesnt have much to having a GF, unless its the really hot girls that only date "really hot" (in a non gay way) guys. i see plenty of larger people with GFs. i am not skinny but not fat, i look quite skinny though, and i dont have a GF
    One thing I've learned through being overweight to becoming buff is that I will never date a "hot" girl. They are dumber than a box of rocks. My gf right now is a little on the chubby side, but she is so much fun, so intelligent, and super smart. I feel people with a little chub are more genuine as they don't tend to use their looks to get by in life. People who date for looks are usually very idiotic, and have nothing in common besides liking to show off how hot the people they date are.

Deleted
    I was always a porker. I remember in kindergarten getting made fun of. The clothes I wear now I wouldn't have fit in in 8th grade. Why didn't I do anything earlier? Like I said, part of it was a comfort zone, another part is, the US is so set on making everyone feel special and happy and drive self-esteem down our throats so people think being overweight is acceptable.

I tried numerous times. Didn't take it as seriously until now. Now I'm afraid to go more than 2 days without being in the gym. I'm really afraid to go back to where I was.
    I was sort of the opposite way oddly. Had no fat or muscle mass, was stick thin in my teens. But my twenties are insane, when I see photos I can't believe my chest/arms are that big. Very odd feeling indeed.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it should matter. I hate how our society tries so hard to prevent people from just being who they are. If someone is overweight you don't know why they are that way. They could eat to much junk or they could have a medical condition that makes loosing weight really hard. Either way they shouldn't be judged fr it. If they are happy with how they are good for them, if they are not they can always change.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    So do you find it harder to exercise or diet? Most people I know who try to get fit find the diet the worst. Telling someone to eat only 1500 calories and little carbs, lots of protein etc, they'd rather run 5 miles a day:P
    Exercise. Oh god exercise is so much harder.
    Granted I'm someone who has been lazy for a long time not exercising at all aside from walking to and from school.
    Or at least jogging.

*I also never was one to each much, honestly. 1500 was give or take where I was at each day...it's what I was eating.

Overweight women get all the flak. If it's a guy people will chuckle, call him a fat nerd and forget it, but for women suddenly it's a national emergency that there's an overweight woman on the radar... Underweight women get shat on too... I do feel sorry for them, having to hear all the "eat a burger for once" jabs

In general, women gain and loose weight differently than men; sometimes it's very hard for a middle aged woman to loose weight than a middle aged man. Sadly, most people dont really understand this.
    Last edited by Zarasthura; 2011-10-16 at 11:59 PM.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US