Question 1 mbps on a 20+ mbs connection?

Alright so I'm hoping this is the appropriate forum to post this..

My internet speeds provided by my ISP shows I should be getting 20+ mbps on speedtest.net and speakeasy, with 1-2 mb upload speed. However, when I'm downloading something (say WoW) PTR.. the download speed displayed at the bottom of the WoW launcher says I'm only getting 800kbs to 1mbps. Also tried installing LoL, download speed was also 800kbs.

Keep in mind that I'm using an n600 Netgear wireless router, and I do understand that using a wireless router can slow internet speeds, but should it be slowing this drastically? And why does speedtest.net say 20+ mbs?

If I went completely wired instead of wireless would that fix the problem?

Deleted
    Yes, wireless is shit. Try wired. Also, keep in mind that M is for mega while m is for milli. And you're mixing bits and bytes everywhere >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post

My internet speeds provided by my ISP shows I should be getting 20+ Mbps on speedtest.net and speakeasy, with 1-2 Mbps upload speed. However, when I'm downloading something (say WoW) PTR.. the download speed displayed at the bottom of the WoW launcher says I'm only getting 800kB/s to 1MB/s. Also tried installing LoL, download speed was also 800kB/s.

Keep in mind that I'm using an n600 Netgear wireless router, and I do understand that using a wireless router can slow internet speeds, but should it be slowing this drastically? And why does speedtest.net say 20+ Mbps?

FTFY

My internet speeds provided by my ISP shows I should be getting 20+ mbps on speedtest.net and speakeasy, with 1-2 mb upload speed. However, when I'm downloading something (say WoW) PTR.. the download speed displayed at the bottom of the WoW launcher says I'm only getting 800kbs to 1mbps. Also tried installing LoL, download speed was also 800kbs.

Keep in mind that I'm using an n600 Netgear wireless router, and I do understand that using a wireless router can slow internet speeds, but should it be slowing this drastically? And why does speedtest.net say 20+ mbs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabyte

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabit

The thing is you have a 20 Mbps connection
    with a 1MBps download speed.

mega bit = advertised speed
    mega byte = speed shown on PC

1MBPs is pretty good speed or the connection

EDIT: fixed the quote

Try turning off peer to peer transfers from the downloader. I never get more than 700-800k/sec speed with p2p turned on, but when it's disabled I get the full 4300k/sec speed when downloading WoW patches. Especially with wireless p2p will kill your connection.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Two points. As mentioned above, the speed for the entire connection is normally measured in megabits. Downloads are normally measured in megabytes.

In addition - there is a certain amount of data overhead when downloading. Connection testing software includes this overhead in their measurements, but your regular applications don't measure that (showing only useful data); which results in slightly reduced displayed speeds.

Deleted
    With a 20Megabit connection you should top at 2,5MegaBYTE per second. Try wired.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shallaserrar View Post
    *not allowed to link >.> omg sad.*

*not allowed to link >.> omg sad.*

The thing is you have a 20 Mbps connection
    with a 1MBps download speed.

mega bit = advertised speed
    mega byte = speed shown on PC

1MBPs is pretty good speed or the connection

EDIT: fixed the quote
    1 Megabyte is slow for a 20 Megabit connection.

I get 1.8 megabyte with a 15 megabit connection
    I am using wired however got a router and switch between my pc and modem

Deleted
    Most of the above is true.

It isn't 20 Megabytes, it's 20 Megabits.

The download speed is not necessarily due to you using wireless. WoW downloader has a tendancy to be lower than other download methods due to the fact that it is P2P (similar to torrents). As a result of this you are also UPLOADING which will eat away at some of your bandwidth.

Speed also depends on your ISP. Some ISPs will 'share' the connection with people from around your area. Using it at peak times will give you slightly lower download speeds.

Finally, and the main reason most people notice a speed drop, is due to the distance from the exchange.

I also have "20Mb internet" and I get ~ 200KB/s. Think yourself lucky; 1MB/s is VERY Good.

I suggest finding/using a site such as the paid FilePlanet service, or an FTP site hosted close to you. That way you can see what you should be getting.

10+ Year Old Account
    What people always fail to realize is, you have to take into account, copper degradation aswell as distance from exchange, for e.g i live 4km wired distance from my exchange, i pay for a 20megabit connection, but due to my large distance from the exchange i am only available to achieve 3megabits download speed. This is on ADSL2+ which uses copper wire's which when used in long distances are weak. if you live far from the exchange Cable / fiber optic is your best bet, as they maintain maximum speed for a certain KM before they begin to degrade in speed, where as copper is much shorter before it begins to degrade.

Also there are is also wear and tear, cables degrade connection weaken and speed suffer, aswell as some ISP's load sharing, meaning more people using the internet the slower it gets. Allot of things need to be taken into account, not just the fact that your on a wired, or wireless connection. i get the same speeds using my wireless USB connection to my router, aswell as when i am on a wired connection.

Deleted
    If your connection is a 20meg connection, divide it by 8 and that is ROUGHLY what you should be getting in download speed.
    so 20 meg = 2.5 so you should be getting 2.5 Megabytes per second.

For those who don't know;
    There are 8 bits in 1 byte.

ISP's show their speeds in bits, so if you buy a 50meg connection you are getting a 50 megaBITS per second. Divide that number by 8 and you will get roughly the connection you are buying. Keep in mind, this should be the complete maximum you can achieve, and there are multiple factors that lower the speed you will get down your cable.
    For example, Using your net at peek times will reduce the speed you download at (Some ISP's limit at peek times so everyone gets the same amount). Also things like the length of your cable, using wireless, bad Network adaptor, bad router. All of those things can reduce the speed of your incoming connection.

I normally divide it by 8 to get the bytes (In your case 2.5) and then take off 30% - between the 2 numbers you get should be the speeds you will see (so 1.75mb/s -> 2.5mb/s).

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayeh View Post
    1 Megabyte is slow for a 20 Megabit connection.

I get 1.8 megabyte with a 15 megabit connection
    I am using wired however got a router and switch between my pc and modem
    Hm. If I went wired and used a wireless router to route my Ethernet cables (I would have one going to my computer and one to my xbox) would that slow my connection as well, compared to just wiring it straight from my cable modem?

I'm not talking about using both the xbox and pc at the same time, I just mean will using the wireless router as an ethernet 'hub'(sotospeak) slow the connection?

Hm. If I went wired and used a wireless router to route my Ethernet cables (I would have one going to my computer and one to my xbox) would that slow my connection as well, compared to just wiring it straight from my cable modem?

I'm not talking about using both the xbox and pc at the same time, I just mean will using the wireless router as an ethernet 'hub'(sotospeak) slow the connection?
    The router shouldn't slow the connection down at all if you're wired in... unless it's a crappy router like the Belkin one I owned for 3 days before returning.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    The router shouldn't slow the connection down at all if you're wired in... unless it's a crappy router like the Belkin one I owned for 3 days before returning.
    it does though, depending on your router, but i was able to add around 2 mbytes up/down to my throughput by flashing my wrt54g with dd-wrt

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    If your connection is a 20meg connection, divide it by 8 and that is ROUGHLY what you should be getting in download speed.
    so 20 meg = 2.5 so you should be getting 2.5 Megabytes per second.

For those who don't know;
    There are 8 bits in 1 byte.

ISP's show their speeds in bits, so if you buy a 50meg connection you are getting a 50 megaBITS per second. Divide that number by 8 and you will get roughly the connection you are buying. Keep in mind, this should be the complete maximum you can achieve, and there are multiple factors that lower the speed you will get down your cable.
    For example, Using your net at peek times will reduce the speed you download at (Some ISP's limit at peek times so everyone gets the same amount). Also things like the length of your cable, using wireless, bad Network adaptor, bad router. All of those things can reduce the speed of your incoming connection.

I normally divide it by 8 to get the bytes (In your case 2.5) and then take off 30% - between the 2 numbers you get should be the speeds you will see (so 1.75mb/s -> 2.5mb/s).

Hope this helps.
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...s+in+Megabytes

Wolfram is pretty good for converting as well.

You can even find out download times by:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=30GB+%40+30Mb%2Fs

Deleted
    Neither the WoW launcher nor LoL tend to cap my connection. The Nvidia and Ati driver download sites tend be a pretty decent benchmark, as does downloading any version of Linux from Sourceforge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    it does though, depending on your router, but i was able to add around 2 mbytes up/down to my throughput by flashing my wrt54g with dd-wrt
    If you're talking about over lan (not wireless) then that's really...weird.
    I was using an old wrt54g before it broke a couple weeks ago (was weird... it just stopped carrying tcp packets, but everything else worked) and it gave the same internet speed as plugging directly into the modem (and the same as my new gigabit router Cisco Valet Plus). May have been something wrong with your firmware or settings causing it to slow down, who knows.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I have several WRT-54G's (earlier ones) and a few GL's

Love this thing, but probably going to upgrade soon.

I have mostly Tomato, DD-WRT running on them.

Used Sveasoft/OpenWRT on and off a looooooong time ago.

It's most definitely because you're on WiFi, it's slower than wired and there can be interference. 20mbit is equal to 2.5mbytes.

For reference, when a number is in Megabit, divide the number per 8 and you'll get your value in Megabytes, the opposite works too.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter