Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Resto Shaman: Telluric Currents or not?

I'm just curious about TC. Is the mana regen worth it? In a raiding environment, is there free time to throw in enough LB's to justify spec'ing into it?

Thanks in advance!

Some people like it and use it, others do not.

I like it and use it, I know others that don't and do not. It's one of those optional ones from what i understand, you just change your playstyle to either work with it or to work without it.

10+ Year Old Account
    ever had a wipe under 50k or so?
    it's not just about the regen.
    if you look at your logs and don't have 100% uptime without it, then get it.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

optional is debatable.

at the start of tiers where mana is tight, its not really negotiable unless you like to sit at the bottom of meters because you're conserving mana or because your enchanting and gemming spirit to keep up.

heres some info on TC from our friend Vixsin

http://lifeingroup5.com/?p=2025

There is some more posts somewhere on the net the highlights that all healers mana regen is roughly the same, bust shaman can only meet this threshold using TC, where as other healers its mostly passive. To me this suggests that it was not intended to be optional so much as an active form of Mana regen.

Use it, get used to it. its bloody great. There are fights it regens more mana for me than resurgence. Not only that, but fights with damage modifiers allow you to regen your whole bar with a few casts.

ie when we first started doing magmaw, head down phase i was able to regen aboiut 10k mana per lightning bolt, Halfus spam healing until two plus drakes down and you can regen 20k mana from a single lightning bolt.

FL - alysrazor down phase, beth p2, rag, althrough out p1 syou can enter p2 with full mana without trying etc.

Deleted
    my personal 10m-nonhc-experience:

- Shannox: riblimp-tankheal while no (or low "earthshield/rt is enough") bleed effects and dog is in a trap/tank is kiting
    - Beth: earthshield+riptide on drone-tank, a healing rain from time to time is enough for the grp (dual-healing "downstairs" with a druid) - plenty of time to get to p2 with 100% mana and doing damage to the drone. Even till stack 10+ HR (pimped with 20% trough focused insight) is enough for the grp, so even more time for manareg
    - Baloroc: close to never
    - Alysrazar: not needed bc of "automatic manareg" in groundphase - but possible while no chicken is enraged
    - Rhyolit: not unseful on legs because of reduced damage, but possible on sparks. Some sparetime between the ads
    - Majordomus: perfect fight for TC: Get all out on Scorpid-Cleave-Phase and reg to full while he cat-jumps for 1-4 times
    - Ragnaros: perfect fight for TC: Reg to 100% on Sons between p1/p2 and p2/p3

You maybe love TC when you
    - have 5+ Situations per Bossfight where you think "hm, whom could i heal - let's throw a healing wave on x"
    - love the triage-concept of the Resto-Shaman and you're not getting in panic while letting your tank drop to 50% or less (because your tw-speeded ghw with a bunch of mastery will heal him full in 1,5s)
    - you want another joice "what to cast now"

You should'nt get TC when you
    - try to always keep your targets at 100% health - and you like spamming healingwave alot to keep your targets up
    - you just stick to a "rotation" with rt->ghw->ghw->hs

One important thing:
    TC is NOT about "hey, fellow healers - i'm taking a 30s-break and go for manareg" - its about finding "the one cast, that i can afford while not letting die anyone" over and over again.

I like it , even throughout all HMs i can find time to squeeze a couple LB's every 15s or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidfayce View Post
    heres some info on TC from our friend Vixsin

http://lifeingroup5.com/?p=2025

There is some more posts somewhere on the net the highlights that all healers mana regen is roughly the same, bust shaman can only meet this threshold using TC, where as other healers its mostly passive. To me this suggests that it was not intended to be optional so much as an active form of Mana regen.

Use it, get used to it. its bloody great. There are fights it regens more mana for me than resurgence. Not only that, but fights with damage modifiers allow you to regen your whole bar with a few casts.

FL - alysrazor down phase
    That post is from February. It is dated in many, many areas. And since that blog-thing has been brought up so many damn times, I have read it so many damn times. I haven't read it in a while since this whole Telluric Currents debate burned out a while ago due to its own charge of irritating the shit out of everyone regardless of if they care or not, but if I remember correctly, the post in reference was flawed and misleading in many ways to begin with... in addition to being dated as hell.

Telluric Currents has never been mandatory in any capacity. Ever. On top of that, unlike in T12 where there were multiple fights it was suggested for as you could exploit the damage buffs, there is no such fight in Firelands anywhere. I'd like to point out that the only fight where you can technically gain additional mana is the one you have listed, Alysrazor. However, do note that in the burnout phase, you get mana back anyway from attacking her. Essense of the Green.

There is no fight where Telluric Currents is highly suggested in Firelands. It is purely optional. Final and cardinal.
    Last edited by Paf; 2011-10-16 at 01:44 AM.
    mhm? mhm.

Quote Originally Posted by Paf View Post
    On top of that, unlike in T12 where there were multiple fights it was suggested for as you could exploit the damage buffs, there is no such fight in Firelands anywhere.
    Not trying to sway the take or abandon TC argument in any way, but you are a bit incorrect on this one point.

Don't Shannox's dogs take increased damage for a bit if you run them over an immolation trap?
    Sparks of Rhyolith take increased damage.
    Alysrazor was already mentioned.
    Heroic Majordomo gives a damage/healing increase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elathi View Post
    Heroic Majordomo gives a damage/healing increase.
    Ah, I did forget Majordomo. But if you need mana for Majordomo, you're doing it wrong. You can dick around and toss around Lightning Bolts without Telluric Currents with the relatively same effect as if you had Telluric Currents. This was true pre and post nerf.
    mhm? mhm.

I had it in T11. But in T12 i haven't had a need for it cos not much time for it to be worthwhile casting some LB's

10+ Year Old Account
    For Firelands, hell yes. Over half of the fights allow you to get great use out of it.

It's great for Shannox, Beth, really awesome for Alice and Domo, and pretty good on Rag too. the only two fights I don't get much use out of it are Rhyo because of his armor buff, and Baleroc because there's no time really to spam LB.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Deleted
    do you think this is necessary for heroic rag?

Deleted
    My sec spec is Resto and I also had a rough time to make the switch, but a lot of positive post on forums made me curious and I had a lot of haste on my Ele Gear, so I tried it just for the fun of it in ZG hc guild run (back then when it was a challenge).

Right now, I just say; I love it. Gives the feeling of healing a Little bit a new point of view.

So my advice: Try it for a week during some 5 man pugs or maybe on some FL bosses which are on farm and decide for yourself

P.S: the only time on Baleroc nhc you can swing some Lb is between shards and sometimes when you tank healing (not during deci blade).

i have yet to use it, imo you shouldn't rely on dmg as your regen as a healer, but that's just me :P

Heroic rag, phase 3 while dodging engulfing flame our resto shaman is able to go from 0-4% back to 100% mana for phase 4 as there isn't/shouldn't be any raid damage going out. Seems silly not to take it for H rag.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Last tier i had i, loved it. But now in firelands i cannot find time or need to use it.
    About Hero Rag, phase 3, that may actually work. But i got to phase only few times so i cannot coment on it too much. Did seen like i will be ok with my mana even without TC there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefix View Post
    - Ragnaros: perfect fight for TC: Reg to 100% on Sons between p1/p2 and p2/p3
    There is a constant aoe going through the Sons phase. We do it three heals, holy paladin is busy stunning adds and chugging on his concentration potion, restor druid runs around stunning sons in bear form, who is left to heal?
    On the other hand, second phase is PERFECT for TC spam - unless people fail at the ground fires, you can merrily spam it the whole time between seeds.

The rest of the post is cool, but especially that:
    One important thing:
    TC is NOT about "hey, fellow healers - i'm taking a 30s-break and go for manareg" - its about finding "the one cast, that i can afford while not letting die anyone" over and over again.

Deleted
    I have yet to use it, while the mechanic is interesting, i generally dislike having to throw lightning bolts while healing. Also, so far i havent had use for it, there's few fights, where I have a risk going oom before the boss goes down.

I think it rocks really, it can be used pretty much in every fight at some points. I just wish it had more synergy with the rest of our abilities.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd replace a LB casting shammy with a smiting discpriest any day.

OT: All I can say is, it worth the TP for sure. The real question is do you like it or not and you can find that out only by trying it.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.