Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I'm sure when he tested each stick, they all ended up in different slots. If not, when he tested every stick, they were all reseated. :P
    red panda red panda red panda!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    Read/write error due to bad or failing contact.

Take the four sticks out, replace them in different slots.

Fixed.

Can't be bothered to explain more than that why it will work.
    Until you can post a legitimate link of a source that asserts your statements and fully backs them up, this is the third thread where you have refused to do so, I will continue to ignore you.

It is more likely a faulty HDD than faulty RAM sticks for this to happen, as the same RAM has written 100% to drive perfectly fine in the past. Also, if I had faulty sticks, I'd be experiencing a hell of a lot more issues, as well as probably more severe issues.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I did these things, and it just warned me about "running software from blah blah if you don't know them can be dangerous." You know, that warning. :P More like a caution imo.

And yeah, run as admin didn't do anything either. O_o

---------- Post added 2011-10-22 at 12:25 AM ----------

Okay that's weird... it needed Windows XP compatibility mode. O_o

---------- Post added 2011-10-22 at 12:26 AM ----------

HDDScan S.M.A.R.T. Report
    Model: ST31000528AS
    Firmware: CC3E
    Serial: 9VPBFYYL
    LBA: 1953525168

Report By: HDDScan for Windows version 3.3
    Report Date: 10/21/2011 7:26:02 PM

Num Attribute Name Value Worst Raw(hex) Threshold

001 Raw Read Error Rate 117 099 0000000983-54FC 006
    It is as I suspected you are starting to see a hard drive failure rearing its head. If you have another drive you can clone to it is in your best interest to do just that and RMA that Seagate HDD. For reference it is usually the Seagate Barracuda 7200.1 drives with a high failure rate. Seagate just had a bad batch though, since then the failure rate has subsided dramatically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately I don't have another 1TB drive on hand. =S There's a lot of video footage that I cannot redo (old WoW stuff that I have delayed on) so I can't just RMA this one without backing it up. x_x

Any suggestions? How long do you think it will last? I'm trying to find a new job but until then, I have very little cash. My only option besides hoping about that is hope I can get my dad to get me my certificate Wal-Mart stock shares that I no longer want so I can sell them. They'd have much better use anyways... Or of course wait till Christmas and hope I get some money... >_< So I guess 2 months is what I'm hoping it can last through. I've had it since March so surely it is doing alright. No files on it are corrupted as of yet, that I know of.
    "A flower.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have another 1TB drive on hand. =S There's a lot of video footage that I cannot redo (old WoW stuff that I have delayed on) so I can't just RMA this one without backing it up. x_x

Any suggestions? How long do you think it will last? I'm trying to find a new job but until then, I have very little cash. My only option besides hoping about that is hope I can get my dad to get me my certificate Wal-Mart stock shares that I no longer want so I can sell them. They'd have much better use anyways... Or of course wait till Christmas and hope I get some money... >_< So I guess 2 months is what I'm hoping it can last through. I've had it since March so surely it is doing alright. No files on it are corrupted as of yet, that I know of.
    Hard drives have no set time line, especially particular Seagates. I've had some show signs like this for months and keep working away but I have had others show signs the day prior then the next day it ceases to be seen in the BIOS. Back up your important information to DVD's if necessary but get it off that solo drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Hard drives have no set time line, especially particular Seagates. I've had some show signs like this for months and keep working away but I have had others show signs the day prior then the next day it ceases to be seen in the BIOS. Back up your important information to DVD's if necessary but get it off that solo drive.
    ffffffff this is going to be a bitch. x_x Luckily I have a crap ton of DVD-Rs from ages ago just lying around being unused.... so I guess I can use those. Hopefully they are enough... and I guess I could finally render my footage, at least into smaller chunks.
    "A flower.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Can always ask around and see if a buddy or family member has an external that you can back up your info to. I end up running four 1TB's in my system just for data redundancy, its a bit much by most peoples standards but I just don't want to lose anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Can always ask around and see if a buddy or family member has an external that you can back up your info to. I end up running four 1TB's in my system just for data redundancy, its a bit much by most peoples standards but I just don't want to lose anything.
    Honestly I was planning to use some of my money from a paycheck (had I continued working at Macy's) to buy like a green 2TB drive for backup. Working on backing some stuff up now but I'm going to see what some friends have if anything.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    Read/write error due to bad or failing contact.

Take the four sticks out, replace them in different slots.

Fixed.

Can't be bothered to explain more than that why it will work.
    Post more constructively on the topic. "different slots" has nothing to do with anything. If you meant "take out the RAM and re-seat it" considering that's a basic level tech answer, then that's generally something we all do before coming here to post and ask how to solve our issues.