Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do players ever die?

From all the footage I have seen of the game I have yet to see a player die while solo questing. This worries me a bit, do you guys chop this up to editing or do you think the game is going to revolve completely around story and not be very difficult?

P.S. I am not talking about pvp here, I have seen plenty of players dying in those as expected.

They can die. I believe it was Daniel Erickson at E3 who showed off dying by pulling too much.

But in all the videos, you see the players health go down. If someone doesn't play smart, then death will be incoming. Otherwise it's not supposed to be brutal to those playing their class well (from what I saw).

The raid video showed 5 of the 8 players dying. As for questing, because of the NDA and tightly controlled leaks, I would say that dying while questing will be very possible.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Yes, you can die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well to be honest, showing someone die in a game play video isnt top priority Im sure. Id rather see someone kicking ass then getting their ass kicked. So chances are they are editing it out.

i'v seen a clip where a sith warrior dies on the starter world very early on, also a BH later on in the game take on a elite mob and be like 1 hit away from death even with a companion healing him.

I'm sure balance-wise it would be kinda crap if mob dmg is too low
    If you pull too much then you will die, I bet it's just like wow. Find the balance and you can chain pull stuff =)
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

Played beta weekend. Hope i don't break NDA here. Combat is really far from trivial level of Wow. Starting pretty easy but ramping up. Usually you are fighting 3-5 mobs or one Strong. If you get distracted by something you can die easly.

I hope not. I like being imba

Here's a video when Total Biscuit and Stephen Reid were playing the Sith Warrior starter area. Granted he died because he rushed into the next group of enemies without trying to heal himself. Skip to about the 10 minute mark and watch from there to see where he dies.

I've seen one leak video of someone dying when only pulling two groups, I think he was in his 20's

I don't recall dying much in other MMOs either while questing, especially if you're smart and don't pull too much. It's understandable that we haven't seen many deaths yet.

Also companions are going to help with the not dying thing, especially since some companions do have methods of pulling the attention away from you and making the enemies lock onto them instead.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    How is player "death" actually handled in story terms?

For example, in WoW, your character literally dies and becomes a ghost, either running back from a graveyard or being returned to life by a magic spell. In SW:TOR, are our characters dying and returning to life in a similar way? Or do we just get "knocked unconscious" or something similar, and then revived from the brink of death by incredible sci-fi emergency medicine or whatever?

Just curious, since in the movies, dead is dead : no coming back to life, except as mysterious ghostly advisers . And in other SW games, when the player dies, you go back in time and restart from a previous saved game or something, so the need for resurrection is neatly side-stepped.

Any ideas? I can't recall seeing this mentioned in any developer videos I've seen so far.

in a statement they mentioned that you actually get a droid who zapps you back to life.

Deleted
    I'm 6/7 HC atm and 3/7 HC pre-nerf.

I died at level 2 as a Sith Warrior.

Do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by Triptych View Post
    How is player "death" actually handled in story terms?

For example, in WoW, your character literally dies and becomes a ghost, either running back from a graveyard or being returned to life by a magic spell. In SW:TOR, are our characters dying and returning to life in a similar way? Or do we just get "knocked unconscious" or something similar, and then revived from the brink of death by incredible sci-fi emergency medicine or whatever?

Just curious, since in the movies, dead is dead : no coming back to life, except as mysterious ghostly advisers . And in other SW games, when the player dies, you go back in time and restart from a previous saved game or something, so the need for resurrection is neatly side-stepped.

Any ideas? I can't recall seeing this mentioned in any developer videos I've seen so far.
    Watch the Total Biscuit video that I linked to earlier. It shows how the death mechanics work in the game. Basically you can be revived on the spot by a med droid or you can choose to be ported to a safe area where you spawn alive and well, in the video they choose the port option.

The only reason to die early on is really if you attack things that are 2-3 levels higher than you or if you wander into a group quest zone by yourself. Beyond the first char I tried, in which I was doing just that most of the way through korriban, most of my characters made it to dromund kaas before dieing and even then it was once again a death because I got sloppy.

I never once had to use the return to medical station option where I actually died because I failed at something, although I did use it once to get back to a quest turn in faster, and the few times you do die when you get sloppy the medical droid gets you plenty far away and with time to regen. Although if you do chain die the time it takes to use the medical druid to rez on the spot racks up pretty quick. All in all attack mobs your same level and don't be overly aggressive trying to do group quests by yourself and any moderately skilled player should be just fine with only an occasional death.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

I have died MANY a time while questing solo in the 367 Beta.

for me my job was to see just how tough and rugged my trooper could be.

Just how much pain he could take how much he could dish out.

I did manage to kill mobs 2 levels higher than me with some CC and kiting (keep in mind your surroundings you could walk right into another group lol)
    on the trooper starter island I did manage to solo a few of the 2+ quests again with kiting( also killed a few elites with that got me some nice blues including a AWSOME riflle so I was a bit OP to a degree) kiting was always the answer for those groups.

Its very possible to die VERY easily if you are not careful, if you played MMOs before you can get the hang of killing mobs 2 lvls higher than you and elites your lvl as well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    I'm 6/7 HC atm and 3/7 HC pre-nerf.

I died at level 2 as a Sith Warrior.

Do the math.
    Bioware caters to players with skill? J/K

But yeah, if you pull abit to much you'll most likely die, you're not in Azeroth anymore!
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water