Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    I'm 6/7 HC atm and 3/7 HC pre-nerf.

I died at level 2 as a Sith Warrior.

Do the math.
    LOL that was kinda funny but good comparison. I like how you can die easily if you are not careful. Though I did pull outta some dangerous 2pack pulls during beta lol

Do the math.
    Really? what did you do? I've been through all the starter planets multiple times and have only died maybe once or twice in the group areas of them.

The starter planets are just like the starter zones in WoW. You have to be doing something VERY wrong to die on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Triptych View Post
    How is player "death" actually handled in story terms?

For example, in WoW, your character literally dies and becomes a ghost, either running back from a graveyard or being returned to life by a magic spell. In SW:TOR, are our characters dying and returning to life in a similar way? Or do we just get "knocked unconscious" or something similar, and then revived from the brink of death by incredible sci-fi emergency medicine or whatever?

Just curious, since in the movies, dead is dead : no coming back to life, except as mysterious ghostly advisers . And in other SW games, when the player dies, you go back in time and restart from a previous saved game or something, so the need for resurrection is neatly side-stepped.

Any ideas? I can't recall seeing this mentioned in any developer videos I've seen so far.
    Instead of dying you are "Defeated", then you either res in place with a medical droid, or you go back to a medical center. You can imagine your companion or someone else dragged you to the med center.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have to say I am really liking the answers here so far! The fact that it will not be something we are spoon fed is awesome. To level and have it be fun and challenging?!?!?

(totally stole this from trolls too BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    Bioware caters to players with skill? J/K

But yeah, if you pull abit to much you'll most likely die, you're not in Azeroth anymore!
    You mean I can't roll a toon with dots, run through a camp of 20 trolls, run away and hide while they die?

I think playing smartly will be rewarded in SWTOR. The heatlh pulls are larger, but recovering from mistakes is more difficult too. Basically you won't die instantly from making a mistake, but if your bad in general, it will be very hard to recover (in the case of long drawn out fights).

Deleted
    Ofcourse they don't want to show the player characters dying easily in trailers, people want to play a jedi/sith/ whatever and feel powerful. Having them die a lot doesn't add much cool to the game...enless it's a game like Dark Souls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ch....cha....challenging? now there's a word I haven't seen outside of heroics raids in a while.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeerid View Post
    Really? what did you do? I've been through all the starter planets multiple times and have only died maybe once or twice in the group areas of them.

The starter planets are just like the starter zones in WoW. You have to be doing something VERY wrong to die on your own.
    I ran into 3 groups of mobs :P

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are challenges, if you seek them out, or just don't pay attention to what you're doing. Named "Boss" mobs can kill you quite easily at even level. Even some "Elites". I think the big reason you won't die as much, though, is just that everyone gets an out-of-combat heal/regen so there's no excuse for not being topped off each pull.

What would be ABSOLUTELY LAME AND HORRIBLE to have happen:

Player enters "single player instance" PVE / mission.
    Player clears a portion of mobs.
    Character gets killed in combat.
    Character respawns back at the entrance of the "dungeon".

Why would this be so horrible? Because it then mimics a single-player game, when it should be an MMO. I'd much rather load New Vegas. I'll have to wait to see it for myself, but I am fearful of a cross between Age of Conan and StarTrekOnLine... though I've already pre-registered, so I'm already sunk for the $75...
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.

Quote Originally Posted by hythos View Post
    What would be ABSOLUTELY LAME AND HORRIBLE to have happen:

Player enters "single player instance" PVE / mission.
    Player clears a portion of mobs.
    Character gets killed in combat.
    Character respawns back at the entrance of the "dungeon".

Why would this be so horrible? Because it then mimics a single-player game, when it should be an MMO. I'd much rather load New Vegas. I'll have to wait to see it for myself, but I am fearful of a cross between Age of Conan and StarTrekOnLine... though I've already pre-registered, so I'm already sunk for the $75...
    There aren't really many single player "instances." Most of the instanced portions are for your class quest, and thus meant to be soloed, so they're tuned appropriately, or Heroic areas, meant to be done in groups.

Do the math.
    Done, WoW progress dosn't mean as much skill as people boast about, especially any sort of skills that transfer to anything else let alone real life. Lots of time is the main ingredient.

Anyways... back to the OP. Yes, death is in the game and it is close to what Triptych and Blackblade said. Actually its a combination. You can either be revived from a KO/death by a droid (at some point I think it was said that there will be a finite amount you can carry with you) or you can be emergency transported to something like a med bay/hospital and continue from there.

I don't remember hearing anything about any sort of rez sickness though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VenomousCarnage View Post
    Done, WoW progress dosn't mean as much skill as people boast about, especially any sort of skills that transfer to anything else let alone real life. Lots of time is the main ingredient.
    Alysrazor HC wants to speak with you. She does not approve of your post.

Anyways... back to the OP. Yes, death is in the game and it is close to what Triptych and Blackblade said. Actually its a combination. You can either be revived from a KO/death by a droid (at some point I think it was said that there will be a finite amount you can carry with you) or you can be emergency transported to something like a med bay/hospital and continue from there.

I don't remember hearing anything about any sort of rez sickness though
    There is no amount for the droid that revives you where you died.. It just has a cooldown attached to it. Or you can chose to be revived at the Med Center (no cooldown attached).

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, death is in the game and it is close to what Triptych and Blackblade said. Actually its a combination. You can either be revived from a KO/death by a droid (at some point I think it was said that there will be a finite amount you can carry with you) or you can be emergency transported to something like a med bay/hospital and continue from there.
    Thanks for the feedback, that sounds cool.

It's always been slightly awkward getting this sort of gameplay mechanic to work alongside the story elements. After all, if resurrection is a commonplace thing, and players are forever being revived from all sorts of grisly fates (eaten by a dragon, slain by a pack of zombies, drowned in lava) ... then Death ceases to be a meaningful part of the world story.

What's that you say? Cairne was slain by Garrosh in a duel? Couldn't he just whisper Hamuul: "rez pl0x"? Anytime the story progression requires a lore character to fall in some heroic ending, it kind of loses its impact, when resurrection is an everyday thing.

Sounds like Bioware is approaching this in a sensible way. ::thumbs up::

Deleted
    I imagine it will be hard for Bioware to get the difficulty right. They need to make it sort of challenging for the more experienced MMO players but also easy enough for people who have never played one to do as well. It looks atm as though they are making the start quests quite easy which has to be done IMO.

I die plenty of times on my IA in beta.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    I die plenty of times on my IA in beta.
    And that's a good thing.Hopefully ppl will get some brains.I lvled some alt some time ago and at lvl 60 some warrior didnt even knew half of what his skills did or talents.Lvling need to be chaleging but at the same time fun in order for people to learn the class.+

10+ Year Old Account
    I played a sith warrior (from lvl 1 till 7) at GAMEfest and it's reasonably balanced - just have to remember that the game is designed slightly differently to WoW (i.e you take more hits).

Having said that, the person next to me, who I think was a trooper... died about 20 times...

To my understanding we're going to be fighting groups of mobs instead of just one or 2 at a time like in wow. That in itself I think makes pulling too many mobs and therefore dying more likely than if we'd be fighting just one at a time. I don't have any problem with the game being challenging on lower levels too, just as long as it's not so hard people will ragequit and log to wow questing for easymode.
    None of us is going to make it out this shit alive, so try to enjoy it while you can.

MainTankasin - Consular/Inquisitor Tanking