Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Popcorn & Microwave - I don't get it.

So here's the thing, when you buy popcorn. And then put it in the microwave, there's a dilemma. Either you set the time to 3 minutes, and get half of the bag but none of them are burned. Or... you put it for 4 minutes the bag is now in it's complete size but almost all of it is already burned.

What am I supposed to do in a situation like this? :>
    Playing since 2007.

10+ Year Old Account
    se tit for 3:20 ?...

Deleted
    3 and a half minutes?

change the settings / buy a different corn packet

put it in for 3 and a half?

As I learned the hard way a few years ago (was at work and didnt know what the popcorn button did. The smoke from the microwave set off the fire alarm, prompting the fire department to rush over...good times lol), many modern microwaves have a "Popcorn" button. Just use it and stand there watching. If you dont have this option, set it for the directions on the bag and again, stand there watching. When the frequency of the popping gets slow enough, take it out.

so you can use a computer, but the microwave is too advanced for you?

10+ Year Old Account
    watch the popcorn, when the bag stops popping, stop the microwave. >_>
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Amazing. You have nothing to do now that people who aren't you have cleared Ulduar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    PS: Pandas are awesome.

Stand next to the microwave as it cooks, and as the popping slows to 1-2 seconds between pops, stop the microwave. Besides, if you're not standing right next to popcorn as it cooks to inhale the popcorny goodness, you're doing it wrong!

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Darn you all, now I want popcorn.

But yeah, listen for the pops, don't rely on a set time!

Put the popcorn bag in the freezer and get it chilled, then microwave it. You'll pop more popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by MeepingMeep View Post
    Put the popcorn bag in the freezer and get it chilled, then microwave it. You'll pop more popcorn.
    Idk if your trolling me but I have a bag of popcorn in the freezer as we speak...
    Gold selling site spam is an important part of our eco system.

You see, there are currently to many puppies and kittens on this world.
    Every time a Goldseller spams his advertisement on the mmo-champion site, a puppy dies.
    Every time you ignore these threads and don't report them, a kitten dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknazty View Post
    Idk if your trolling me but I have a bag of popcorn in the freezer as we speak...

This is just what I read, exactly -where- I read it I forget, and I'm not sure if there is an optimal duration for it to be chilled...so, results may vary! :P

It sounds logical though right? I mean...if you dip a thermometer in an ice bucket and then immediately in a hot sand bath, like I did in chemistry class, the glass shatters...oops. So...same principles apply?

Deleted
    I usually just put it on like 10 minutes and just stand by the microwave and wait until it takes like 2 - 4 seconds paus before the next pop comes and then I just stop the Microwave, 0 burnt popcorn = win

Quote Originally Posted by Ainariela View Post
    I usually just put it on like 10 minutes and just stand by the microwave and wait until it takes like 2 - 4 seconds paus before the next pop comes and then I just stop the Microwave, 0 burnt popcorn = win
    This is the best way.

Like Ainariela said, setting a timer and then walk away will only make the movie you planned to watch while eating those popcorn be terrible. I am not making this up, it is a proven fact, google it!

Making popcorn is a fine art, it takes practise. You need to listen to those small corns pop (pop pop pop-pop-pop ... *pop*), close your eyes and imagine the long trip just that tiny little thing have done to end up in your bag of microwave popcorn which is slowly transforming from hard uneatable pieces of dried up corn to a delicatesse right infront of your eyes. You need to connect with the popcorn, be one with it. Many bags will be ruined on your way to make the perfect popcorn, but in the end, when you look back at it, I can assure you that it was well worth your time.

When you think you have the feel of it and have popped the popcorn just enough, take the bag out of your microwave and slowly open it while you breathe in the wonderful smell of fresh popcorn before you put it in a bowl. And hey, if you want to add something else to it, like more salt, some extra butter, it is ok with me. I might be many things, but I am not one to judge others on how they choose to consume their popcorn, we are all different.

And to sum it all up I guess I can say nothing else but; Enjoy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linry View Post
    watch the popcorn, when the bag stops popping, stop the microwave. >_>
    Pretty much this, use your brain.

Quote Originally Posted by MeepingMeep View Post
    This is just what I read, exactly -where- I read it I forget, and I'm not sure if there is an optimal duration for it to be chilled...so, results may vary! :P

It sounds logical though right? I mean...if you dip a thermometer in an ice bucket and then immediately in a hot sand bath, like I did in chemistry class, the glass shatters...oops. So...same principles apply?
    Not the same principle, and this will actually make your kernels less likely to pop if you leave it in long enough. I can't remember why stuff breaks from extreme temperatures like that, but the reason popcorn pops is because the water starts to evaporate in the kernel, building pressure. Once this pressure reaches the point where the shell of the kernel can't take it, it bursts, or "pops". The starch on the inside of the then forms into weird little bubbles that stick to eachother and form the white stuff that is popped popcorn.

Edit: The reason why your kernels won't pop as much from freezing is that you're drying them out when you freeze them, causing there to be less water and less pressure.

Deleted
    Thank god i don't have problems like you, i only have 2-3 non popped after 3 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    remember jiffy pop? Todays pop corn is ez mode for casuals :P
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies