Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    It is like a building company claiming to have the rights to a building built on their property using their tools and supplies with a clause saying "anything built using our stuff is ours".
    Except it's not the same building, just has the same name and looks a lot like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    Except it's not the same building, just has the same name and looks a lot like it.
    You are right, it isnt the same building. But, it is still on their property, with their tools and supplies, and they specifically said before the build started that they would own it if they chose to build it there with their tools.

Deleted
    You are right, it isnt the same building. But, it is still on their property, with their tools and supplies, and they specifically said before the build started that they would own it if they chose to build it there with their tools.
    I was talking about DotA2, not the original warcraft 3 mod. I'm just going to make a fast assumption and say that DotA2 is not made with Blizzards tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Why would they want to have it for themselves when they've been fine with the way it has been for seven years? Valve is trying to exclude it from the community. If Valve gets the trademark, people could basically be sued for having dota (for wc3) fansites.
    Because Blizzard is making Blizzard DOTA for SC2. Which is called Blizzard DOTA.

They even put it here http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...bruary/s01.jpg in its own category, regardless that it's a SC2 mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    I was talking about DotA2, not the original warcraft 3 mod. I'm just going to make a fast assumption and say that DotA2 is not made with Blizzards tools.
    I have already said it twice, but I will say it again... blizzard does NOT care that valve is calling their game DotA 2, they care that they are TRADEMARKING DotA.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-dota-blizzard
    "It just seems a really strange move to us that Valve would go off and try to exclusively trademark the term considering it's something that's been freely available to us and everyone in the Warcraft III community up to this point."

I have already said it twice, but I will say it again... blizzard does NOT care that valve is calling their game DotA 2, they care that they are TRADEMARKING DotA.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-dota-blizzard
    "It just seems a really strange move to us that Valve would go off and try to exclusively trademark the term considering it's something that's been freely available to us and everyone in the Warcraft III community up to this point."
    I think it would be odd to have a game title that isn't trademarked.

On that note, Blizzard only cares because they're making Blizzard DOTA. If it only applied to the WarCraft III mod, it wouldn't really matter.
    Last edited by HitRefresh; 2012-02-11 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blizzardlies View Post
    in 2008 or 2009, double fine was making brutal legend and was financed by activision blizzard, then AB just stopped sending them any checks at all, wouldn't speak to them or return calls, just cut them off. so double fine got EA to finance them, they finished the game and right before release, blizz sues saying that even though they'd not contacted them for nearly a year, that they were still their property

in the end, blizz had to drop the suit but that's how they are. they are a business. they run like a business and care about stuff that businesses care about. businesses don't care about anything but money.

the fact that they are probably gonna end up suing valve over this is proof that they were never going to let it go in the first place.
    Brutal Legend was being financed by Sierra, which was merged into Activision, which was merged into Activision Blizzard.

Blizzard is, for all intents and purposes, an independent company with the publisher Activision Blizzard.

What you are saying is like saying anything that microsoft did also falls onto the shoulders of Bungie.

Imagine if, when developing League of Legends, Guinsoo had attempted to trademark the name DoTA for what is now League.

That is virtually the exact same thing that Valve/Icefrog is now doing, yet somehow I don't think the DoTA fanboys would be pleased with that outcome.

Deleted
    I hope Valve wins and takes this TM. Fuck blizzard, they're idiots for not registering the trademark earlier. And since they lots that chance, now they whine?

People all seem to be forgetting the point Valve is making, they have IceFrog, IceFrog is DoTA. Valve will win based on that fact alone. A modification of Blizzards game did not give them a trademark for it, the person who was responsible for updating DoTA for years took his vision to another engine / company and Blizzard can deal with it.

Defense of The Ancients is the trademark Blizzard will have the rights to, the acronym DoTA will be given to Valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaru View Post
    I think it would be odd to have a game title that isn't copyrighted.

On that note, Blizzard only cares because they're making Blizzard DOTA. If it only applied to the WarCraft III mod, it wouldn't really matter.
    "Blizzard doesnt want it for themselves, they want it to be public domain. If DotA is trademarked, they wont be able to have "Blizzard DotA" after all... would be a pretty big slap in the face if they werent able to use that name, ya know?"

I already said this exact same thing. Also, they arent copyrighting, they are trademarking. Trademarking would mean the term "DotA" would be off limits for anybody unless they get permission from Valve. Copyrighting means people cant make copies of the game DotA 2

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had my share of disagreements with Blizzard, but in this case they are right. Regardless of any ulterior motives on all sides, Valve shouldn't be trying to trademark it. If the case were in the end to come down to whose territory DotA is in, it'd be Blizzard's for the simple reason that if there had been no Warcraft III, then there would've been no DotA.

That all being said, Valve could very well win based on the new laws regarding intellectual property. (No, I'm not talking about SOPA/PIPA.)
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

Blizzard doesn't have a problem with the name, but with the trademark. Valve can name their game DOTA 2, but Blizzard thinks they shouldn't become the official owners of the term "DOTA" overnight.

Think of it this way : Why is Valve trademarking DOTA ? To prevent anyone coming years later and claiming a term that is associated with them. What are Valve effectively doing by trademarking DOTA ? They're coming years later and claiming a term that is associated with Blizzard. Blizzard just wants it to stay a public, non-owned term, like it has been for the last 8 years. Unless you're a Valve shareholder, I don't see how anyone wouldn't side with Blizzard on this one.
    Last edited by DrunkenBeard; 2012-02-11 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulus View Post
    I hope Valve wins and takes this TM. Fuck blizzard, they're idiots for not registering the trademark earlier. And since they lots that chance, now they whine?
    Yea, god forbid they let something be open domain for everybody. They shouldve been greedy sons of bitches and take it for all it was worth!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThewF View Post
    People all seem to be forgetting the point Valve is making, they have IceFrog, Icefrog is DoTA. Valve will win.
    Icefrog didnt even create it, Eul did. Valve doesnt have the original creator's backing, nor the backing of other people that helped with it... they only have IceFrog.

Deleted
    Yea, god forbid they let something be open domain for everybody. They shouldve been greedy sons of bitches and take it for all it was worth!
    Exactly. They're like children, not knowing how the world goes 'round. And now it's like valve took away their candy and so they cry.

Icefrog didnt even create it, Eul did. Valve doesnt have the original creator's backing, nor the backing of other people that helped with it... they only have IceFrog.
    It doesn't matter if IceFrog didn't create it, IceFrog has been in charge of DoTA and has lead the development of DoTA for the past few years and has full creative control over the property.

sigh the name should remain neutral, it doesn't belong to blizzard, even if they had that scummy trademark thing that claims that all mods on the WC3 engine that belong to blizzard (which was really poorly written) but it doesn't belong to valve either. It should stay neutral. to the community, not blizzard, not valve, but the community. I wonder what the original devs have to say about this.

Why wont people here learn the dota history? now we're gonna have everybody screaming ''yay icefrog made dota so it belongs to him!'' noooooo just go to wikipedia.org , it only takes a small amount of time to read up some history, blast it...

Quote Originally Posted by Soulus View Post
    Exactly. They're like children, not knowing how the world goes 'round. And now it's like valve took away their candy and so they cry.
    So, tell me again... why are you siding with valve? Blizzard is siding with the community, Valve is being the greedy bastard. Do you work at Valve by any chance?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't buy the line of crap blizz is trying to feed. "dota is a community term, don't trademark it!".

That sounds awfully like "oops, we didn't think of that. Let's stop this for the 'sake of te community'".

MoP talent calculator update = f&f alpha, according to a couple of blue posts stating that it wouldn't start until the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by ThewF View Post
    It doesn't matter if IceFrog didn't create it, IceFrog has been in charge of DoTA and has lead the development of DoTA for the past few years and has full creative control over the property.
    Lead developer is hardly ownership. It also completely ignores years of development by Eul, Guinsoo, contributing authors, the people that maintained the entire freaking community that fostered the games development, etc etc.

Regardless, it DOES matter that IceFrog didnt create it, because that means the term DotA was originally coined by Eul.