Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    He won't post again I'm sure. The smelly cat was just making sure he beat me to 4k.
    Pitiful.

<3

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    He won't post again I'm sure. The smelly cat was just making sure he beat me to 4k.
    Pitiful.

<3
    I didn't actually notice that I was at 4k until incarcerated pointed it out.

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 12:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by incarcerated View Post
    Can't say I didn't try eh? -.-
    I mean it's fine and all, I just thought that your original topic was interesting and switching the discussion to 'every zone has a hardmode' like GW1 had could use it's own thread or something.. since it kind of has nothing to do with what was originally being discussed. =P
    I don't know, idc either way. Was just pointing out that the title change completely changed the topic of discussion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    I didn't actually notice that I was at 4k until incarcerated pointed it out.
    You're welcome ;P

So anyways, back to the topic...
    So the main reason for most people who aren't so sure this is a good idea, is that they personally may not use it, though a few people here have already stated the opposite. Wouldn't a feature like this that takes a fraction of a day to implement be worth it if only let's say only 1 in 100 people used it? That is still (based on pre-purchases) tens of thousands of players! Many MMOs have features that are used by a smaller minority of players which take much longer to add to the game. I think the game would also become a more valid comparison to the elder scrolls games from an exploration + open world point of view, which has the potential to bring more people that are fans of that particular franchise over to this game. <- yes this is a weak point but the point still stands.
    From a business view I cannot see anything that would make this option a bad idea.

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 07:54 AM ----------

I mean it's fine and all, I just thought that your original topic was interesting and switching the discussion to 'every zone has a hardmode' like GW1 had could use it's own thread or something.. since it kind of has nothing to do with what was originally being discussed. =P
    I don't know, idc either way. Was just pointing out that the title change completely changed the topic of discussion.
    Yeah as i said, I'm not so good at titles. I definitely don't want the GW1 hardmode discussion going any further in this thread. If people want to discuss that, I'll gladly throw up another thread for it, though I'm hardly the right person to do so (title will be bad + I have no idea what I'm doing with GW1). Someone else make it and I'll educate myself by taking part in the discussion ;P

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I feel the direction in GW2 is just right. Gives you just enough of a push to guide you to various areas of the map, without showing you exactly where you should be going.

Worth noting: you could just never open the map.

God forbid.
    to add to this line of tough, just unbind the key that open the map, in the options, in case you feel tempted

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    to add to this line of tough, just unbind the key that open the map, in the options, in case you feel tempted
    My problem isn't just the main map. Read the post. The minimap and event tracker are more of a concern to me than the main map. I could live with the icons still being enabled on the main map.

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 08:45 PM ----------

In the latest beta build, we're getting map markers for 'Vistas' which can be jumping puzzles, impressive landscape and other special things. This makes me want to fight even more for an option to turn off the markers on the map! I don't want to know where a jumping puzzle is! I don't want to see anything on my map until i have discovered it myself, not because I am in the general vicinity! I feel like whilst this is a really good addition to the game for some, it will be disappointing for many others.

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 09:48 PM ----------

Added my prepared post for Anet to the OP. Suggestions are welcome and a topic title that doesn't suck like all the ones I think of would help
    Play nice. This is a suggestion topic.
    Last edited by mmocc12e1a6c25; 2012-07-09 at 07:50 PM.

My problem isn't just the main map. Read the post. The minimap and event tracker are more of a concern to me than the main map. I could live with the icons still being enabled on the main map.
    unless they let us customize the UI (im not speaking about addons), i dont think you will have that idea of yours come to a reality

In the latest beta build, we're getting map markers for 'Vistas' which can be jumping puzzles, impressive landscape and other special things. This makes me want to fight even more for an option to turn off the markers on the map! I don't want to know where a jumping puzzle is! I don't want to see anything on my map until i have discovered it myself, not because I am in the general vicinity! I feel like whilst this is a really good addition to the game for some, it will be disappointing for many others.
    there goes the exploration debate out of the window, i guess the pressure to satisfy the masses are starting to kick in, Explorers in GW2 are like RPers in other games a very very small minority, it seems

first hearts, now the "vistas", next stop a marker for all uncommon/rare mat mobs (guessing)

It's amusing, Anet takes an un-compromising stand against mods "because they make the game too easy", yet they put everything of value on the minimap and don't let you filter it away...effectively duplicating some of the more easy-mode mods in other MMOs.

I agree about preventing boss-timer mods (although I'd prefer that to be done by I dunno, actually making the bosses NON PREDICTABLE), but it's ironic that their blanket prohibition is sort of hypocritical when you look at what they're designing into the game...
    -Styopa

Quote Originally Posted by styopa View Post
    It's amusing, Anet takes an un-compromising stand against mods "because they make the game too easy", yet they put everything of value on the minimap and don't let you filter it away...effectively duplicating some of the more easy-mode mods in other MMOs.
    When did Anet say they don't want mods because it makes the game too easy? >.>

Deleted
    When did Anet say they don't want mods because it makes the game too easy? >.>
    Will the Guild Wars 2 interface be customisable and add-on friendly?
    EF: As far as the UI goes; we've tried to design a very clean UI that is very unobtrusive and also a UI that has some customisability, but we don't allow tons of UI modding. The reason is because we feel it gives a bit of an unfair advantage to players who go and download those mods. So what we interested in doing is making our base-play experience a really, really good one, and to try and designs UI that is very user-friendly and clean.
    SOURCE

@Lusitan
    'We don't allow tons of UI modding.' That does not mean that they don't want UI customization at all. It means the UI will have extremely limited customization (look at how they changed the minimpa from BWE1 to BWE2)

SOURCE

@Lusitan
    'We don't allow tons of UI modding.' That does not mean that they don't want UI customization at all. It means the UI will have extremely limited customization (look at how they changed the minimpa from BWE1 to BWE2)
    "Don't want to give an unfair advantage to those who have mods" is not the same as "Mods make the game too easy." Building it into the UI means that everyone has the same 'advantage' so everyone is on a level playing field (besides personal skill). That quote makes no sense in the context of what the person I quoted said.

Ahem.
    The prefect game needs no mods. It doesn't mean they're limiting UI, it means they're making it so you don't need 3rd party addons to fix all the crap they couldn't be assed to do.
    /leaves quietly.

Deleted
    "Don't want to give an unfair advantage to those who have mods" is not the same as "Mods make the game too easy." Building it into the UI means that everyone has the same 'advantage' so everyone is on a level playing field (besides personal skill). That quote makes no sense in the context of what the person I quoted said.
    Thats all I could find that was relevant. I'm clinging onto hope with my bare teeth goddamn it!

---------- Post added 2012-07-10 at 04:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Ahem.
    The prefect game needs no mods. It doesn't mean they're limiting UI, it means they're making it so you don't need 3rd party addons to fix all the crap they couldn't be assed to do.
    /leaves quietly.
    /hat off
    Yes, I agree that mods shouldn't be in the game and I'm glad they don't want them. But some small UI customisations can't cause much of an advantage. Especially with the ones that I'm suggesting, which are handicaps.

Thats all I could find that was relevant. I'm clinging onto hope with my bare teeth goddamn it!
    My point was that Anet never said anything about mods making the game too easy, like the person I originally quoted said. =P

Deleted
    My point was that Anet never said anything about mods making the game too easy, like the person I originally quoted said. =P
    Nah, not directly. Thats all the hype talk making people say stupid things. I should know. I say the most stupid things all the time

Nah, not directly. Thats all the hype talk making people say stupid things. I should know. I say the most stupid things all the time
    Not directly or indirectly, but whatevs.

Not directly or indirectly, but whatevs.
    What are you, like the paraphrase police?

OBVIOUSLY I could have said "Anet doesn't allow mods because unicorns are pretty" and it doesn't change the POINT I was making.

Beat a dead horse much?

My point, in case you missed it, was that Anet isn't allowing mods, yet they're (apparently) constantly sticking their OWN cruft in constantly (ie an on-screen clock). It seems ironic because as much as they deny mods are necessary, they keep acknowledging community ideas that are better than they had themselves (which is a good thing; just not a real sound place from which to defend...).
    -Styopa

It seems ironic because as much as they deny mods are necessary, they keep acknowledging community ideas that are better than they had themselves (which is a good thing; just not a real sound place from which to defend...).
    That's not ironic in the least. "Mods aren't necessary, we'll include what we think is necessary in the base game" is the basic idea. That way, instead of 9 players having a dodge bar and 1 player not, everyone gets a dodge bar.

Deleted
    My point, in case you missed it, was that Anet isn't allowing mods, yet they're (apparently) constantly sticking their OWN cruft in constantly (ie an on-screen clock). It seems ironic because as much as they deny mods are necessary, they keep acknowledging community ideas that are better than they had themselves (which is a good thing; just not a real sound place from which to defend...).
    Building it into the UI means that everyone has the same 'advantage' so everyone is on a level playing field (besides personal skill).
    I think that answers pretty much all of what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    I think that answers pretty much all of what you said.
    You must be new here, that's not how circular arguments work. I have to continue repeating that point for at LEAST 12 pages.

Deleted
    You must be new here, that's not how circular arguments work. I have to continue repeating that point for at LEAST 12 pages.
    I just played two hours of Minecraft. I can only do square arguments right now. Cut me some slack!