• Church

26 7.98%
  • hate group

258 79.14%
  • I don't care

42 12.88%
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I really dislike hate speech laws. I love WBC just because of their crazyness. They challenge the freedom of speech. It's awesome.

Oh, and I'm gay!

More hate speech to the people. Just cover your ears if you don't like it.

Should churches get tax reductions and stuff like that though? No I don't think so, but if that's the case WBC should not be excluded just because your ears hurt.
    Besides, lots of churches are "hateful".

As hateful as they are, they don't really qualify as a hate group. That would shove them in the same category as psychos like the KKK. They preach hate, intolerance, and contradictions. But that's all they do. They never are violent, or encourage others to be violent to homosexuals.

How we treat them will set a precedent to how we expect to be treated when it comes down to our opinions being deemed unfavorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't understand American law but it seems to me, if Freedom of speech exists for everyone no matter what they do then how is there such a classification as a hate group and what exactly are the penalties for being a hate group in America?

I mean if all it will do is revoke their right to call them selves a religion or something along those lines, then it's not really revoking freedom of speech at all. They can continue to do what they do just as a hate group and not as a religion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to remove constitutional rights isn’t the way to go. The best way to deal with people like this is to make it reasonably clear they are not allowed on some piece of private property, wait till one of them is stupid enough to go onto said piece of private property, and then shoot them for willfully trespassing (whether its legal or not).
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    I really don't understand American law but it seems to me, if Freedom of speech exists for everyone no matter what they do then how is there such a classification as a hate group and what exactly are the penalties for being a hate group in America?

I mean if all it will do is revoke their right to call them selves a religion or something along those lines, then it's not really revoking freedom of speech at all. They can continue to do what they do just as a hate group and not as a religion.
    No legal consequences. Some state have systems to block groups they designate as such from doing business with the state but that's about it. Purely symbolic.

The only thing you could do is revoke their tax exempt status if they engage in political activity but what they do doesn't qualify.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    No legal consequences. Some state have systems to block groups they designate as such from doing business with the state but that's about it. Purely symbolic.

The only thing you could do is revoke their tax exempt status if they engage in political activity but what they do doesn't qualify.
    See, I think that if it can be proven that a church's primary goal is to offend, then they shouldn't have the tax exempt status. They're a hate group masquerading as a church at that point, regardless of how sincere their convictions may be. It isn't actively punishing them, just withholding benefits.

Offend is so subjective. I'm pretty offended by some of the shit that comes out of mainstream religious leader's mouths some times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Because all crimes are prosecuted right?
    Nope, but you'd think with as big a target on their backs that if they fucked up even the least little bit someone would try and throw the book at them, at least thats my opinion.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Offend is so subjective. I'm pretty offended by some of the shit that comes out of mainstream religious leader's mouths some times.
    When they target individuals in person I would argue that it is undoubtedly clear that their intent is to offend.

How do you write that in objective legal terms though?

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Nope, but you'd think with as big a target on their backs that if they fucked up even the least little bit someone would try and throw the book at them, at least thats my opinion.
    Not really a big target on their back to be honest. People know of them but that's basically it.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you write that in objective legal terms though?
    That would be for the law makers to figure out

Though there is already a classification called hate group so I guess they did. Unless hate groups must commit acts of violence to be called hate groups but I think hatred and violence are two different things, even if they do often occur together.

If it's possible for a group to become a hate group without resorting to violence, then it must already be written.

Yeah and its really subjective and often disagreed on. The only reason I don't care is it doesn't carry any power with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Not really a big target on their back to be honest. People know of them but that's basically it.
    You might be right, however, I've known of them for 20+ years, unfortunately I've had the misfortune to actually meet some of them.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah and its really subjective and often disagreed on. The only reason I don't care is it doesn't carry any power with it.
    So with that in mind, them being classified as a hate group wouldn't actually infringe their freedom of speech at all then. So that wouldn't be a reason to not classify them as such.

I'd be all for it taking away their tax exempt status though, at least Since the classification already exists I don't think this would cause other religions/church's to suddenly be classified as a hate group too.

Why though? Why should peaceful religions we find especially bad be treated worse? They're not bombing abortion clinics.

So some one has a different opnion than yours and it instantly makes them a hate group?, they can believe the fuck they want, i'm not saying they are right or anything.

So blacks that hate white people are hate groups, white people hating blacks are hate groups, people hating females/males are hate groups`? where the fuck does it stop?

Geez, just ignore them instead and they will slowly die out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    So some one has a different opnion than yours and it instantly makes them a hate group?, they can believe the fuck they want, i'm not saying they are right or anything.

So blacks that hate white people are hate groups, white people hating blacks are hate groups, people hating females/males are hate groups`? where the fuck does it stop?

Geez, just ignore them instead and they will slowly die out.
    Problem is they show up fucking everywhere. They're worse than cockroaches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why though? Why should peaceful religions we find especially bad be treated worse? They're not bombing abortion clinics.
    Well they're not using violence no, but I don't think a group should need to use violence to be considered a hate group. The fact is they're spreading a message of hatred. "God hates fags" wherever they go, and in addition to that they actively target people to take that message to. Usually dead people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    Well they're not using violence no, but I don't think a group should need to use violence to be considered a hate group. The fact is they're spreading a message of hatred. "God hates fags" wherever they go, and in addition to that they actively target people to take that message to. Usually dead people.
    I agree that it is a horrible thing.... but they aren't violating any law, and they aren't causing measurable harm to any people. Emotional damage can be caused, true, but that isn't something easily measurable and therefore not something brought into consideration by the law. And one must remember that the same law protecting them is the same law that protected those like the civil rights advocates, or the early feminist movement, or the free press (it wasn't all sensationalism like it is today). Someday religious groups will probably lose their tax exempt status; but it is not this day, where religion is intrinsically connected to the people running the country, as well as the greater part of the country itself.