Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farkface View Post
    Almost sounds like modern capitalism!
    It IS, but in capitalist world, they just lie about it to us. It's still some douchebag at the top that we need to worry about. Has that ever been different? no.
    Welcome to the rest of the world OP, it sucks, now take a big bite. You roll your own dice.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Too young to really understand how horrible food shortage is. If you are hungry everything else is irrelevant.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    The food shortage alone tells me that communism didn't work for your country. If you have a full belly, you are warm at night and are entertained, you really have a good life.
    This is the problem with the mentality formed by democracy and market economy. No one wants to think past his pocket and belly. At least communists forced people to think bigger, to do something global for the needs of everyone in expense of one's own well-being. These days, technology is all about iPhones instead of things like interstellar travel.
    Last edited by Haven; 2013-01-02 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    This is the problem with the mentality formed by democracy and market economy. No one wants to think past his pocket and belly. At least communists forced people to think bigger, to do something global for the needs of everyone in expense of one's own well-being.
    Right... Communism was a way to enslave people and rob them blind. It's biggest problem was that most of the "leaders" were uneducated peasants that just followed orders from Moscow.

Snitching on your neighbours telling "inapropriate" jokes or growing their own farm really helps build a "something global".

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the problem with the mentality formed by democracy and market economy. No one wants to think past his pocket and belly. At least communists forced people to think bigger, to do something global for the needs of everyone in expense of one's own well-being.
    Sorry, but it's my job to provide for myself and my family; taxes taken out of my pay go towards programs enacted through legislation by representatives of the PEOPLE to help those beyond my own well-being, and infrastructures that benefit all. However, there are quite a few people in my country that abuse such legislation, which was ratified to benefit those in true need, for their own selfish greed.

You take care of children, of war veterans (which we sadly don't help enough politically in my nation), disabled people (which we sadly help even less in my nation). I shouldn't have to support someone who is fully capable of supporting themselves, but wants to not work and contribute to society at all. This could, however, be a difference in our viewpoints, which is understandable.

Then again, I've never been truly hungry in my life, or forced to live somewhere I didn't want to, or imprisoned without due process, or forced to work a predetermined job, or had my property and/or assets seized without just cause...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Right... Communism was a way to enslave people and rob them blind. It's biggest problem was that most of the "leaders" were uneducated peasants that just followed orders from Moscow.

Snitching on your neighbours telling "inapropriate" jokes or growing their own farm really helps build a "something global".
    You really seem to focus only on the negative aspects of Soviet-style communism, most of which were really only truly prolific during Stalin's time, and be subjectively ignoring that there were, indeed, benefits to that style of government.

Quote Originally Posted by Farkface View Post
    Almost sounds like modern capitalism!
    Wow dude, if you think you have it as bad as the common folk in the soviet era someone has done a job on you --- unless perhaps you live in some remote section of Africa.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is the problem with the mentality formed by democracy and market economy. No one wants to think past his pocket and belly. At least communists forced people to think bigger, to do something global for the needs of everyone in expense of one's own well-being. These days, technology is all about iPhones instead of things like interstellar travel.
    Are you serious with this post or just utterly oblivious to world history? I really can't tell.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Are you serious with this post or just utterly oblivious to world history? I really can't tell.
    Well, exactly what sound steps forward has science taken in recent years, apart from improving technology that's already in place? While I disagree with the degree of his statement, the principle is fairly factual.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Well, exactly what sound steps forward has science taken in recent years, apart from improving technology that's already in place? While I disagree with the degree of his statement, the principle is fairly factual.
    So lack(?) of sciencetific discoveries lately has more to do with mankind not working under communism regime or the natural order of things that the speed of science the past 100 years leaves less left to discover? I still can't see any logic comming from these statements.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    I think that has to do with the stagnant competition. In the Cold War you had a rapid technological evolution because the US wanted to beat the Russians and vice versa, and then you'd get all these products derived from military technology. Today there aren't really any conflicts going on, and corporations has just made us comfortable with buying the same crap over and over (see iPhone), so there's not a lot of innovation that's going on. So communism has contributed, but not in the ways of ideals but more as a threat and inspiration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, how about the discovery of the Higgs-Boson particle, the first glimpses of exo-planets, the ability to induce stem-cells from skin tissue, etc.? There have been huge steps forwards in recent years.

As for interstellar travel like Haven was saying, there have been big theoretical advances recently into the theory of warp (Alcubierre) drive.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-01-02 at 11:04 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Well, how about the discovery of the Higgs-Boson particle, the first glimpses of exo-planets, the ability to induce stem-cells from skin tissue, etc.? There have been huge steps forwards in recent years.
    Exactly, the reason we don't notice such huge leaps is because there are so many of them and they happen all the time. We're used to it.

You really seem to focus only on the negative aspects of Soviet-style communism, most of which were really only truly prolific during Stalin's time, and be subjectively ignoring that there were, indeed, benefits to that style of government.
    The problem is there are no plus sides. Every road/power plan that was build was build with money stolen from the hard working people. Every factory was ugly and inefficient (my mother remembers sharing a machine with 2 other women and ending up doing their work as well). Every benefit came at the expense of someone putting more effort and getting nothing in return.

I still remeber how after the former communist got re-elected and bankrupted us in 1997, my father and I went to the city hall for something (I was 9 back then). We passed a line of pensioners waiting for their money that was more then a week late and my father looked at them and said "Next time vote for the communists again."

10+ Year Old Account
    So lack(?) of sciencetific discoveries lately has more to do with mankind not working under communism regime or the natural order of things that the speed of science the past 100 years leaves less left to discover? I still can't see any logic comming from these statements.
    I have no idea where they're coming from either. I think they're trying to say scientific developments go hand-in-hand with the progress of democratic republics/capitalistic nations versus communistic ones, in which case they'd be correct; most technological innovations of the 20th century were rooted in the West, and communistic nations like Soviet Russia used spies to steal from the US and our allies, kind of like China hacking us now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Fuchs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Vetrov

Not to say the US didn't have our own spies operating during the Cold War, keeping tabs on the USSR's progress on weapons/technology, but it was more concerned with their capacity to reach our own established capabilities, and also more about their weapon locations/bases.

15+ Year Old Account
    This just happened ingame and since I wrote a couple of times in this thread I had it fresh in my mind and somehow drew paralells to its accuracy to utopian communism working

Deleted
    This just happened ingame and since I wrote a couple of times in this thread I had it fresh in my mind and somehow drew paralells to its accuracy to utopian communism working

Did he also think that Wrath of the Disco King was a shitty expansion?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    He probably quit during alpha because pre-alpha was way better.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Well Wrath was kinda shit tbh, raidwise

Well Wrath was kinda shit tbh, raidwise
    Ulduar?!!

Rest (mainly ToC) was designed by Ghostcrawler and sucked of course.