Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerofpope View Post
    Pally power anyone?
    Best addon ever.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

I swear when I first started there was an option in the interface to repeatedly cast a spell after it was used once.

fear/seduction rotating (seperate DR's)

warlocks took enginering for survivability. (net gun, mind control helm)

Quote Originally Posted by Karnudge View Post
    I liked how you had to travel to different areas to get the different druid forms. Made you appreciate them more.
    Class quests were awesome. I wish they were still in game.

Hillsbrad / Tarren Mill fights

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    I believe it's already been said, but quests that aren't restricted to a single region. It was fun to have to go explore some new region to get that special material to defeat something. There haven't been many really long questlines taking you all over the world since vanilla. Every zone as of late has it's own issues and everything is dealt with really fast and in a small area. I miss the times when the journey to the max level really mattered. I miss the whole having to search far and wide-thing. Oh well, MoP sure had a lot of really fun quests, though.

Elite quests that required more players were nice too, as you could possibly make a few new friends. Dreadful when there were no one online in that zone, though, so it had flaws. It was just nice grouping up to do some questing with friends, instead of only doing dungeons/scenarios. Looking forward to 5.2 with elite mobs spawning across Pandaria.

And damn buffing raids as a paladin. ._.

One of the worst things about wow's early years is probably weapon skill. It sucked so bad having to skill up a new type of weapon when you got it, let alone needing to train that. "Ooh, playing some undead warrior, damn this is fun! Oh, a new gun, cool, wait, I can't equip it? Where can I learn that? MULGORE? I haven't even been to kalimdor yet!"
    The last long quest chain I remember like that was the Kara key quest chain. That and the Vials of Eternity quest chain.
    Last edited by luccadeo; 2013-01-08 at 08:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    There was a macro script that allowed you to target the lowest HP% enemy.

Having addons able to select your spells for you and other automation available.
    I don't think I had that back then. But that reminded me of another thing:

Not knowing the absolute health of an NPC. Absolute Health wasn't displayed by default. There was just an addon that tried to calculate health by measuring the damage you did proportionate to the health %.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by luccadeo View Post
    The last long quest chain I remember like that was the Kara key quest chain. That and the Vials of Eternity quest chain.
    Vials of Eternity wasn't that bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by luccadeo View Post
    True, there hasn't really been any very long quest chains since TBC, apart from maybe the chain q for Arthas' heart in Northrend. But now in MoP we at least get more flow in the story, Jade Forest felt like a very long quest chain with side quests here and there, and I loved it. Wouldn't mind something like the long chains in Duskwood again, that felt really epic when you got to the last parts.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh! It sound so awful, but at the time nobody seemed to mind too much..

I remember getting the mage class trinket from BWL, for the specific use of creating water faster! I'd show up, 4 water a cast, making stack after stacks, meanwhile locks were outside brm killing stuff for Shard, healers were farming dark runes and herbs in felwood for extra mana return...

I also remember I really disliked when they made buffs visible to the opposing faction, no more detect magic Still wish the reverted that, so you had to pay attetion to spell effects and whatnot, instead of addons telling to dispell or whatever :l

And when I finaly got my shadow reflector trinket on my rogue, glhf warlocks! Stun breaks, reflect all your dots and howl. Game lacks unique options like that these days.

Oh oh oh! Class quest, be it stance quests for warriors, the rogue poison quests, the whirlwind weapons..I still have my Certificate of Theivery on my rogue!
    And fighting about certain groups for certain buffs...awh the nostalgia <3

Deleted
    how is any of those even remotely fun

10+ Year Old Account
    Wand spec for casters And wanding as a priest healer so you'd do some dps while waiting for 5 sec rule to kick in.
    Surrounded by idiots

Whats this 5 second rule for healers? :P I was a rogue back then, and mostly only PvPed.

Ahh, the good times in AV backstabbing and Ambushing mages drinking in the back with my Lobotomizer <3 Finaly getting my whole rank 10 gear (Blue quality pvp gear) and felt like a god.

I miss pretty much everything from Vanilla, but I'd never go back to it.

Oh, ReckBomb! loved that on my pala alt (Wich is now my main), and buffing in raids.. lol! I buff might! -> Singel buff everyone with a 5 minute lasting Blessing of Might... You almost had to start all over again when you where done...!
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Running as a level 42 into the arena in STV and getting slaughtered because I had no clue what I just entered. I miss being clueless at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    Running as a level 42 into the arena in STV and getting slaughtered because I had no clue what I just entered. I miss being clueless at the game.
    Yeah, being clueless was actually pretty awesome. I was a rogue with daggers spamming sinister strike and evicerate until I got a rogue friend at lvl 42 that told me that I should be using backstab :P Made the world alot more easier for me x] And then he told me about addons, o.m.g!
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

I will fix some of these for you.

[QUOTE=Zao;19720256][COLOR=#ff0000]

Out of combat rezzing: There were specifically designated people that did not engange in combat with a boss. This way the did not get put into combat and could rez people during the fights.
    This only worked for a very limited time in early vanilla, as "combat pulse" was added in relatively fast to fix this.

Limited debuff slots: At first there were only 16 (correct me if I'm wrong) and later 32 debuff slots. And that was in 40 player raids. Warriors in our guild were not allowed to spec into deep wounds because of that.
    The 32 debuff slot didn't come until TBC. The debuff slots were first 8, and then extended to 16 in 1.7

No shared trinket cooldowns: You were able to use both trinket slots at once. Arcane mages became infamous for the "ZHC+ToEMP+AM" nuke.
    Not entirely true. Plenty of trinkets shared either CD or atleast had innard cd global but in that specific case that wasn't applicaple.

No multiple flightpaths: Without addons it was not possible to fly directly from Orgrimmar to Silithus. You had to take every single step to there manually.
    Only true for part of the vanilla. Linked flightpaths were added in game somewhere halfway/on last third

No AoE buffs: I'm not just referring to stuff like totems or LotP being partywide only. Oh no. There was no spell called Arcane Brilliance or Gift of the Wild. Instead Druids, mages, priests and especially the poor paladins, had to buff every person in the raid individually. If you were a priest you had up to three different buffs to give.
    There was Arcane Brilliance AND Gift of the Wild that you could learn from BoE dropped books, both were party wide so 5 men could be buffed at once. Also Paladins got Greater Blessings during vanilla which buffed all of the classtype at once with chosen buff, first for 10 minutes and then later for 15.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    Whats this 5 second rule for healers? :P I was a rogue back then, and mostly only PvPed.
    The 5s rule applied to all casters. The current mp5 regen system we have is based on it. You used to only get that regen if you spent 5s not casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    True, there hasn't really been any very long quest chains since TBC, apart from maybe the chain q for Arthas' heart in Northrend. But now in MoP we at least get more flow in the story, Jade Forest felt like a very long quest chain with side quests here and there, and I loved it. Wouldn't mind something like the long chains in Duskwood again, that felt really epic when you got to the last parts.
    Agreed and they really immersed you into the story. The Alliance Onyxia attunement quest chain will always be my favorite quest in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by katji View Post
    ...when Strath and Scholo were 10-mans!
    Hell with Strat and Scholo - my first raid was a whole bunch of level 10s that went to Deadmines. That felt amazing!!

Fond memories from back then -

AV lasting days and feeling like an epic battle not a zerg fest.

3 Hour WSG matches against equally matched teams

Going into Uldaman to train enchanting

The lava run short cut to attune to MC

The roguish clown suit being the best blue setup you could run

Non normalized attacks making Hand of Timmy and Barman's Shanker insane

Engineering being the great pvp equalizer (rocket helm, dragonling, leper gun people off mounts, nets, mc helms, reflectors, etc) - combo with a rogue, vanish, and a good equip mod and you could do some really crazy fun things

Waiting for the Marshall during Ony attunement

Coffer runs

. . . There's a ton more, but those are the ones that jump out right away.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 03:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    The 5s rule applied to all casters. The current mp5 regen system we have is based on it. You used to only get that regen if you spent 5s not casting.
    Made your healers have to work in shifts and made mana management a matter of correct down ranking of various spells. Wasn't a bad idea really.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post

Ahh, the good times in AV backstabbing and Ambushing mages drinking in the back with my Lobotomizer <3 Finaly getting my whole rank 10 gear (Blue quality pvp gear) and felt like a god.

I miss pretty much everything from Vanilla, but I'd never go back to it.

Oh, ReckBomb! loved that on my pala alt (Wich is now my main), and buffing in raids.. lol! I buff might! -> Singel buff everyone with a 5 minute lasting Blessing of Might... You almost had to start all over again when you where done...!

The Reckbomb bug where a pally one shot Kazzak?

And yeah, AV was crazy fun, just imagine PvPing in there with full BWL/AQ40 gear. I can't even imagine being Naxx 40 geared in there, at BWL gear you beasted out on anyone that wasn't decked out in either rank 14 or similar PvE gear.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 03:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    how is any of those even remotely fun
    How is anything in current WoW fun?

Because it's new, shiny, and you're doing things with people you (hopefully) like.

More balanced, better graphics, more spells, etc doesn't necessarily make things more fun. You can make a strong argument that as the game has grown and added features the fun has dwindled due to the homogenization, the death of community, and just plain old age. The toy isn't as shiny anymore for those that played for a long time - it's a natural thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    Hell with Strat and Scholo - my first raid was a whole bunch of level 10s that went to Deadmines. That felt amazing!!

Fond memories from back then -

AV lasting days and feeling like an epic battle not a zerg fest.

3 Hour WSG matches against equally matched teams

Going into Uldaman to train enchanting

The lava run short cut to attune to MC

The roguish clown suit being the best blue setup you could run

Non normalized attacks making Hand of Timmy and Barman's Shanker insane

Engineering being the great pvp equalizer (rocket helm, dragonling, leper gun people off mounts, nets, mc helms, reflectors, etc) - combo with a rogue, vanish, and a good equip mod and you could do some really crazy fun things

Waiting for the Marshall during Ony attunement

Coffer runs

. . . There's a ton more, but those are the ones that jump out right away.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 03:13 PM ----------

Made your healers have to work in shifts and made mana management a matter of correct down ranking of various spells. Wasn't a bad idea really.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 03:17 PM ----------

The Reckbomb bug where a pally one shot Kazzak?

And yeah, AV was crazy fun, just imagine PvPing in there with full BWL/AQ40 gear. I can't even imagine being Naxx 40 geared in there, at BWL gear you beasted out on anyone that wasn't decked out in either rank 14 or similar PvE gear.
    Agreed about AV being fun. It was the only battleground faction that I got exalted with. I refused to play it after they made the changes that turned it into a zergfest in patch 2.3 (I believe)