Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The only thing I vividly remember was Thunder Clap dealing nature damage and Frost Shock being the most annoying thing in the game.

Stance dancing, being able to run while bandaging. The Ras quest was also fun (turning him into a human and surprising people was fun), turning the room before ras into skeltons, after everybody passed it, so someone would run to there death. They over all mystery and unknown, seeing the game evolve.

I also like to note start and scholo where 5 mans, that could be 10 manned, all instances where, they could be 40 manned at one point (was needed since attument wasn't always pert of the game, and to get to MC you had to run through BRD, and you could see where you had to run through UBRS to get to BWL, and what was likely Naxx in Start) I had one fail live start 10 man run (where they spent like 10m trying to get a 10th) and don't even think we got to first boss. Then I 5 manned it later, blew through it, and never 10 manned again. It was also changed to be just 5 man later in vinallia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    Hell with Strat and Scholo - my first raid was a whole bunch of level 10s that went to Deadmines. That felt amazing!!

Fond memories from back then -

AV lasting days and feeling like an epic battle not a zerg fest.

3 Hour WSG matches against equally matched teams

Going into Uldaman to train enchanting

The lava run short cut to attune to MC

The roguish clown suit being the best blue setup you could run

Non normalized attacks making Hand of Timmy and Barman's Shanker insane

Engineering being the great pvp equalizer (rocket helm, dragonling, leper gun people off mounts, nets, mc helms, reflectors, etc) - combo with a rogue, vanish, and a good equip mod and you could do some really crazy fun things

Waiting for the Marshall during Ony attunement

Coffer runs

. . . There's a ton more, but those are the ones that jump out right away.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 03:13 PM ----------

Made your healers have to work in shifts and made mana management a matter of correct down ranking of various spells. Wasn't a bad idea really.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 03:17 PM ----------

The Reckbomb bug where a pally one shot Kazzak?

And yeah, AV was crazy fun, just imagine PvPing in there with full BWL/AQ40 gear. I can't even imagine being Naxx 40 geared in there, at BWL gear you beasted out on anyone that wasn't decked out in either rank 14 or similar PvE gear.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 03:21 PM ----------

How is anything in current WoW fun?

Because it's new, shiny, and you're doing things with people you (hopefully) like.

More balanced, better graphics, more spells, etc doesn't necessarily make things more fun. You can make a strong argument that as the game has grown and added features the fun has dwindled due to the homogenization, the death of community, and just plain old age. The toy isn't as shiny anymore for those that played for a long time - it's a natural thing.
    Never tried the bugged version of ReckBomb, that was crazy :P But a good portion of luck + SoCom + Reckfull(I think thats the name) = One shot if you had a decent weapon, kinda like shamans WF
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    I can remember in av when i couldn't kill anything(all npcs being elites >.<) so i basically helped by taming wolfs and collecting supplies :S

I just got back into the game, after quitting midway through TBC. Needless to say it was quite a shock, lol. I started playing Vanilla shortly after it came out. I just realized that my main is over 7 years old!

One thing I remember, which I'm not sure has been mentioned, is that you could only have 8 debuffs on a mob at a time. New debuffs/dots would bump each other off if you put too many up. Needless to say as a warlock this was a giant PITA, especially with Curse of Doom.

Lol. Good times.

Classic WoW was amazing, even with all of it's little inconveniences...I only regret missing a lot of my social life as a 19-21 year old because of it.

I liked how you had to visit your trainer every time you learned a new ability. That was part of the journey imo and it never should have been taken out of the game. In a lot of ways, the game has just been made too overly convenient and too easily accessible. Besides, you really can't wait to finish that instance before learning one new ability after you leveled? Patience!

Oh, and I forgot about HWL grinding. In my old guild we all stopped around rank 7/8/9, but we had one guy go all the way. Good lord, that's one thing I don't miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Geegeez View Post
    Oh, and I forgot about HWL grinding. In my old guild we all stopped around rank 7/8/9, but we had one guy go all the way. Good lord, that's one thing I don't miss.
    I got an IRL friend that went for GM aswell, he didnt attend to anything social at all because he had to grind honor for like 8 hours each day.. When he was 30% from GM he was so burned out he quit the game, just to come back in TBC and become Norwegians best holy paladin PvP-wise... :P In WotLK he was so burned out he sold his account for an insane amount of cash, to never return again x]
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I will fix some of these for you.

/snip
    Yeah, I know most of these got fixed during vanilla, but I still kept them there because they stayed in memory. I think I might even have some in there that stayed well into TBC and even WOTLK.

15+ Year Old Account
    Out of combat rezzing: There were specifically designated people that did not engange in combat with a boss. This way the did not get put into combat and could rez people during the fights.
    Loved that in Molten Core The most noobiest healer always got the job of out of combat resser, I guess it was hard for said person to get better that way but oh well

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Schamie View Post
    i remember the days of old conjuring the water for the raid... at one point i was the only mage and that sucked i also remembering having to go into dire maul to get the latest conjure water spell; that was fun
    Haha yeah good luck with that
    Loved zoning in to MC like ~30mins1/h before the raid started and seeing 4 mages inside conjuring water, felt really epic that you could see everyone prepare for the raid etc. When one of them mages disconnected before the raid started and got into the queue you heard huge rage on teamspeak because they had to start conjuring all over again .

10+ Year Old Account
    Even through half of TBC, you could load into raid instances during boss encounters. My guild would log out our alts inside during progression. If any low priority people (not Brez worthy) died, we'd switch to our alts and continue fighting.

Hunters feigning and drinking to regain mana during boss encounters.

Sitting on your hands for a few seconds after you got a huge crit so you wouldn't pull aggro.

Suppression room with 40 people. /shudder

Double (and for the most-skilled) triple-trapping hunter CC.

Pristine Hide of the Beast forum drama.

Needing Finkle's Skinner to skin Hakkar (or one of the animal bosses, can't really recall).

ZG being the first, last, and only 20-man raid in the game.

Head arcanums requiring you to have Zandalari rep, and a visit to the NPC at the top of the ziggurat in ZG. Before that I want to say they were Dire Maul related via librams and pristine black diamonds.

Weekly rep dumps in AV.

Farming solely consisted of killing things ad nauseum.

Nothing sparkled (not quest objectives, herbs, interactive objects in the world, nothing). Those "please find this book and bring it back to me" quests really sucked.

Having to use Thottbot to get a leg up on questing.

Guild bank toons.

PVP sets consisted of crit and stamina.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunters used mana, and had quivers and ammo pouches. I actually miss my old pouch, because it really felt like i was drawing my bullets out of somewhere. And it displayed on the back, too. Hunters who finished their ammos during boss fights were "baddies".

The FEELING of buying the 100% ground mount after farming the mats for the Deviate Belt for two weeks in order to obtain the money (500 gold+ 50(?) for the actual mount). And the glorious sensation after getting my own 280% speed mount, soon replaced by the awesome, best-looking mount in the game, the Onyx Nether Drake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindican View Post
    ZG being the first, last, and only 20-man raid in the game.
    AQ20

/10char

- Resistance on items (except for holy).
    - Most of the spells/attacks were talents (instant Arcane Explosion, Ice Block, Evocation). Yeah, was playing mage.
    - Reagents needed to buff.
    - 8 pieces sets.
    - No tokens, items sets were lootable on the boss.
    - Honor points were added every wednesday (and increased your ''pvp experience bar'' to get you to a new grade).
    - Attunements for raids.
    - You had to pass the ''portal'' of the BG to have a chance to enter.
    - A single mount skill and expensive mounts.
    - conjuring food and water (hopefully, when I had the Vaelastrasz's bomb, I could cast it instant!).
    - Soul Shards.
    @Twinsting Nether EU
    Sokatsui, Retsuhana, Kutohitsugî, Skaoi, Goshintai, Ahres, Palhaço, Shikeishuu, Dorã, Koitika, Noslen, Ahtramedes.

@Ravencrest EU
    Retsuhana

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking through the first talent trees is incredibly fun. Blessing of Kings as last talent for retri! Oh, vanilla times. While I do miss vanilla a lot (fond memories is all), dpsing as a paladin back then was the most retarded thing ever. Seal for 30 sec, judge, re-seal, repeat. + Exorcism against UD/Demons. And then rebuff every 5 min.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Looking through the first talent trees is incredibly fun. Blessing of Kings as last talent for retri! Oh, vanilla times. While I do miss vanilla a lot (fond memories is all), dpsing as a paladin back then was the most retarded thing ever. Seal for 30 sec, judge, re-seal, repeat. + Exorcism against UD/Demons. And then rebuff every 5 min.
    Ha, this is so true. It was maddening trying to dps back then. Did you ever try to dps as a Holy Paladin? You might as well of been smacking your target with a stuffed animal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerofpope View Post
    Ha, this is so true. It was maddening trying to dps back then. Did you ever try to dps as a Holy Paladin? You might as well of been smacking your target with a stuffed animal.
    Hehe, I actually leveled as a holy paladin, stacking strength/spirit and using 1h/shield with as tanky stats as possible. I was the tank and healer during all those SM runs, holding aggro mostly by healing myself, but I do believe we had someone offhealing too. (No, we didn't make it far very fast) Mad times, mad times.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

I forgot all about the books at level 60. You didn't even have the max rank of some spells until you were able to get them, either by buying them ( which were crazy expensive) or by raiding and getting them.

Relic slots didn't do anything until the late 50's when you could get a BOE blue which cost a crap ton and was fairly weak.

Paladins had to re apply Seals after every Judgement, and it was a spell so it could be Purged off. You literally couldn't do anything with a smart Shaman around most of the time.

Using Loh for Paladin burnt all of your mana but 500, so if you had to use it early on to save a wipe, you were hamstrung for most of the fight.

Reagents for everything, god I don't miss it. Every time you applied a " Greater buff " it used one, so I would usually stock up on them to the point of 300-400 for a raid night. BTW nothing pissed me off more than not having a DI because the last two Paladins up didn't have their reagent for DI. I used to rape our other guild Paladins for not having them, and sometimes even kicked them from the Raid if it happened.

The Tier .5 quest line may have been one of the most awesome things in the game. Doing those instances and getting bosses that didn't normally spawn was pretty cool.