Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Aside from tax benefits, it's purely symbolic, often with religious significance. Some of us aren't pigs and don't need more than one partner, and marriage is a way to signify that they're more special than all the rest, that they're the one. Sure, it often doesn't work out anyway for one reason or another, but the gesture is still meaningful to many. I'd happily marry if I found a like minded girl. However, since I refuse to have kids, that isn't too likely to happen.
    How is someone a pig that is hanging out with multiple girls? If you arent going out and are just going on occasional dates and fooling around, then you arent going out or married. Who wouldnt want to keep their options open if a beautiful sexy girl comes along in the gym and starts talking to me? Should i walk away because i might be seeing someone or are just taking it slow, not even going out. People take that so seriously now which is why dating younger women makes it so much easier than dealing with a older women who wants kids now and marriage and feels time creeping up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post

There is no real reason to get married besides evading some taxes.

Marriage gives everyone security. Children raised by single parents or withour a marriage do worse than traditionally raised kids.

Lol feminist natzi alert. No thanks I don't want to be a good little "drone"

If you want to be a bachelor all your life, do it. If you want to be married some day, do it. If you just want to live with the person you love without getting married, do it. Not harder than that really.

And also lower taxes for married couples needs to begone from the face of this earth asap. Its fucking retarded.

it influences commitment, though does not enforce it. You can be committed and not married, though no where near as influential

marriage is not required, but can be beneficial for a persons state of mind

Whether you get married is up to you, I'd set up a nice argument as to why it COULD be beneficial but many peoples replies in this thread have the idea that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is zero point trying to argue it, It means something to some people, that's literaly all it comes down too, Yes, some people get married for other reasons, but the biggest is just because it's a good way to show your true love for someone, it shows commitment, it shows your not planning to be with anyone else, You could quite easily argue what's the point of staying single, just as much as you can what's the point of marrying

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Human nature won't change for a long, long time. That doesn't mean everything it suggests is relevant anymore. Human nature doesn't ask us, and doesn't care what science can do. I thought that would be pretty obvious.

Anyway, if you still think that polygamy is needed so genes can be distributed to ensure the glorious future of humanity, you're beyond help.
    I didn't say I 'thought it was needed'. I am stating the reason -why- promiscuity is the evolutionarily more practical method.

As part of a means to disprove the bullshit 'marriage is good because it's the natural state of humans' shtick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Have we really? The fact adultery still exists would seem to indicate your argument as false.

Human nature, at its core, has not changed. Men are still driven to spread their seed, women are still driven to find a providing partner. At a base psychological level, of course.
    Generalizing like that is a very dangerous thing indeed. Saying what each of us is driven to do based on our gender I mean. It feels very odd hearing somebody say what I'm apparently supposed to want to do when I have no desire whatsoever to do it. Human beings are a tad more complicated than that.
    "Lordaeron belongs to the Forsaken. Always and forever!"

Perfection is so horribly dull, don't you think?

Marriage gives everyone security. Children raised by single parents or withour a marriage do worse than traditionally raised kids.
    Ok what about the children from a marriage that ended? then mother or father gets into a new marriage, and get new children (and child gets a stepmother/father), then they get divorced again? etc etc, happends all the time.

You wanna hear a story? My parents met in first grade. They went to 2 schools in the same classes for 12 years. They got married when they were 21. They been married for 26 now. They share a small business and spend 7-10 hours a day at work together. You can't tell me marriage can't last.
    Let me tell you about a story, my cousin is one man of 4men that his ex-wife has been with. She has 3 children with 3 diffrent men (one of them is his), she will prob have another child with her new husband now. But that is not the worst part.
    She also decided to move faaaaar away, so he barly get to see his son..

And i know alot of people who are now single with 2 children etc.
    Marriage will almost always end (i said almost).
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dydric View Post
    2. don't have the annoyance of a woman calling my house all day.
    3. I really don't believe a man should take care of a woman. women should work at all times exactly like a man should, or starve.
    I was getting worried we'd been a day without a women hating thread. Need to get rid of all of that angst.

If you want a significant other who works, make sure they want to work before you get married. And if you don't want to work yourself you just have to make sure your significant other is okay with that too.

As many have said not everyone needs to or should get married. But why would anybody care if other people did get married?

10+ Year Old Account
    After my parent's divorce I swore to myself that the only way I am getting married is if I am 100% sure the relationship won't end with a divorce... also no sooner than 35.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonix80 View Post
    I love how so many people viewed marriage as a piece of paper. In that case, don't bother get marry.

Marriage is so much more than that. Pity most people here fail to see that.
    Pity that you wont see out of you lilttle narrow minded bubble in your life living make believe from a time that no longer exists. I see the world, meet beautiful women that are fun and just want fun not a complicated bitchy wife, do things when i want, not when your wife/2nd mother let you know you can, or when you can afford certain things like you are a child. I can tell this is a waste from your signature but stats are facts and the rest are little words that make you feel better at night.

Deleted
    Not sure, but is love itself not a good enough reason to get married?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesker View Post
    Generalizing like that is a very dangerous thing indeed. Saying what each of us is driven to do based on our gender I mean. It feels very odd hearing somebody say what I'm apparently supposed to want to do when I have no desire whatsoever to do it. Human beings are a tad more complicated than that.
    -Sigh-.

There is a difference between a statement of what is, and a statement of what should be. I am stating what is, a fact, that men and women have certain biological imperatives as a result of their evolutionary track record. That is not a comment on whether or not that is what people should do in a current setting.

Furthermore, I am commenting on the behaviour of humans at a base, instinctual level, rather than conflating Id, Ego, and Superego as many here seem fond of.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I plan to get married because I feel as though it is the ultimate form of commitment to a partner. I view marriage as a strong expression of love.

That is just my viewpoint though, I'm sure plenty of people view marriage differently.
    Last edited by Master Jakken; 2013-02-18 at 01:43 AM.
    "Why are you wearing that stupid Man suit?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    Marriage will almost always end (i said almost).
    You have a divorce rate well above 50%? Crap, that's crazy, what place you come from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I can ask the very same thing to you.
    That the "marriage is natural" statement is a fallacy.

1) Great so we've established that its rare. Yet it still functions as a comparison to an extent.
    No, it doesn't, because a) what works for x species doesn't necessarily work for y and b) it does nothing to prove that humans are a naturally monogamous species. Which they aren't.

2) Human nature does and has changed, the fact we live in the world we do is proof of this. We follow laws that go against the core of our withering instincts. Were social creatures, if anything that would make our nature change even more rapidly.
    No, it doesn't. Stop conflating id and superego. Human nature, the base imperatives, are still the same as they were ten thousand years ago and most personal actions by humans can be explained as having roots in those imperatives. Rationalism is -an aspect- of humans, but the base nature is still there.

3) And yet marriage for love also co existed along with marriage for property, in cases they can even benefit off each other, property and the partner of your dreams. Marriage for property is pretty much non existent to the grand majority of 1st world people.
    The 'love' aspect has been a secondary one, not the primary one as it is touted in the modern period. And you were implying that it was an equal partnership - for most of history, it was not.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the wrong place to be asking this.

Anyway, while it's mostly symbolic and it's totally fine and reasonable to SAY that such a thing is a cop-out, it's still a very powerful gesture. Of course you can be with someone for a decade or two or the rest of your life without being married, but saying "I want to be with you for the rest of my life." doesn't have nearly the same impact, doesn't make a person feel nearly as important to you, as asking "Will you marry me?"

It's more important than that for religious people, but it's a very powerful gesture outside of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Just want to step in on this one.

Natural evolution for humans, spreading our seeds, genes and whatever became largely irrelevant as soon as we began circumventing natural selection. It's almost completely irrelevant with modern science, and in the future it will become totally irrelevant with genetic modification. So please don't use that argument, we both know well enough that we've transcended that.
    This. People like to pick and choose about which of our primitive traits we should and shouldn't shed to serve their purpose. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by isadorr View Post
    Pity that you wont see out of you lilttle narrow minded bubble in your life living make believe from a time that no longer exists. I see the world, meet beautiful women that are fun and just want fun not a complicated bitchy wife, do things when i want, not when your wife/2nd mother let you know you can, or when you can afford certain things like you are a child. I can tell this is a waste from your signature but stats are facts and the rest are little words that make you feel better at night.
    If you don't want a whiny bitchy wife then don't date and marry a whiny bitchy woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Annapolis View Post
    I was getting worried we'd been a day without a women hating thread. Need to get rid of all of that angst.

If you want a significant other who works, make sure they want to work before you get married. And if you don't want to work yourself you just have to make sure your significant other is okay with that too.

As many have said not everyone needs to or should get married. But why would anybody care if other people did get married?
    You mean like when they get federal or state assistance for the kids they cant afford? The wife who is delusional and living in the 50's who doesnt want to work but if a divorce happens feels entitled to all the shit she never worked for? People make decisions out of love instead out of the logic that they cant even afford it.

Skorpion...there is no 100% assurance that you wont get divorced, you realize that right? What makes it even more sickening are people staying in marriages for the kids lol, yes lets mess them up hearing us argue everynight. Does anyone realize the rarity of a family working out? Single mothers with kids, majority.

If you love someone, why do they need a piece of paper to prove that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    This. People like to pick and choose about which of our primitive traits we should and shouldn't shed to serve their purpose. =)
    How does stating a trait exists automatically mean that one is advocating following said trait?