Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Michael Hastings Car Crash

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...,2806628.story

Anyone heard about this?
    Apparently he thought he was under investigation by the FBI.

Was a very good read. Sadly you know how mod's feel about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    Was a very good read. Sadly you know how mod's feel about this stuff.
    The mods think that this is a fine topic for a discussion. If all the posts end up being "THE FBI DONE GOT HIM to SHUT HIM UP" then it will be closed.

While the debate over the conspiracy theory will rage on for longer than any official conclusion to the contrary, recent revelations on data collection and snooping really do make it difficult to believe in the transparency and accountability of the intelligence agencies or anyone else for that matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really want to believe that he was just paranoid, then went out and got drunk and drove his car into a tree. I really want to believe that.

Isn't it sad, that THAT would be the best case scenario?

You have to know that the guy was being watched at some level, after you do what he has, you don't just 'fall off the radar' without some pretty drastic measures. The guy had been around, he had an idea of how the system worked but it wasn't as if he was going to completely vanish he already had appointments with this Jill Kelley so people knew where he would be. But he still felt the need to leave town, or at least be fairly incognito.

You know a thought occurred to me when I was first pondering the whole Snowden case, you always hear about how these people want to escape these terrible regimes and come to the US. How people from our enemies want to escape and come here, how 'the people' of these governments are victims and the government is the evil one. We would hear stories about soviet military personal defecting to the USA, how places like Cuba and North Korea wouldn't, or won't, let valuable people leave the country for fear that they will immediately run and never come back. And while I realize these few isolated cases aren't quite the same thing, after 30+ years of being told these stories as examples of how terrible those governments were I can't help but feel uncomfortable with it. Just watch the Snowden interview, the guy says it perfectly. Why the HELL would a guy making six figures living in paradise with a stable job and a pretty damn nice outlook for the future give it all up? What would it take for him to throw that all away? A week of fame and then a life of terror and pain? I have a really hard time believing that he gave it all up because he wanted a book deal.

The signs are pointing a direction I think the vast majority of us really desperately do not want them too go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

So this respected reporter, who said he was being investigated by the Feds and onto "something big", happens to go out driving at 4 AM. The car loses control, hits a tree, explodes and sends the engine hurtling down the road.

Nothing to see here citizen, return to your state approved entertainments.

Quote Originally Posted by cymraeg13 View Post
    So this respected reporter, who said he was being investigated by the Feds and onto "something big", happens to go out driving at 4 AM. The car loses control, hits a tree, explodes and sends the engine hurtling down the road.

The car was going so fast, the engine was found more than 100 feet away from the crash, authorities said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    The mods think that this is a fine topic for a discussion. If all the posts end up being "THE FBI DONE GOT HIM to SHUT HIM UP" then it will be closed.
    Yup.

Even though, with everything that's been going on and coming to light recently, you'd have to be naive to just believe the "official story" out of hand.

Have to admit, it'd be a great way to commit suicide, if you were terminally ill or whatnot. Set up a conspiracy theory, ram a tree at such high speeds you're killed nearly instantly.

As for the actual "government conspiracy" thing, I'd think if the gov wanted him gone, then it would have been easier to simply snatch him. He sent emails saying he was going off the radar, you nab him and throw him in a hole to question or otherwise dispose of the body. Seems sort of pointless to get his car up to high speed and ram a tree. ("But that's what they want you to think!")

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Have to admit, it'd be a great way to commit suicide, if you were terminally ill or whatnot. Set up a conspiracy theory, ram a tree at such high speeds you're killed nearly instantly.
    The problem is the tree didn't cause the fire here is a video of right after it happened and some spanish guy sis interviewed and he says the car was already on fire before it crashed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait wait wait they put a probe in him?

Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post
    Wait wait wait they put a probe in him?
    Where are you getting that from?

Good to know for our future interactions you're a conspiracy theorist lockedout.

Just sayin. The fringe decided this was a conspiracy the hour it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Good to know for our future interactions you're a conspiracy theorist lockedout.

Just sayin. The fringe decided this was a conspiracy the hour it happened.

Most people that are logical raised an eyebrow when Wikileaks reported he told them that day the FBI was investigating him.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Its a shame because he was truly a great journalist and by all accounts a great and passionate guy.

It cheapens the memory of him to rattle on about conspiracy theories just because of this whole Snowden thing happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was going well over 100mph and hit a tree, no conspiracy bull shit here.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by cymraeg13 View Post

SOMETIMES a car crash is just a car crash.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    Most people that are logical raised an eyebrow when Wikileaks reported he told them that day the FBI was investigating him.
    I can assure you, only people of a certain mindset and political philosophy did, like they always do.

Saying the United States government has taken to killing political enemies, civilians, who are American citizens, within the US is an extraordinarily claim. How extraordinary? As in defining event of the quarter-century defining. It wouldn't be a here today, gone tomorrow kind of story or even story of the year. It would change the country, the establishment, the political system if the government were doing that, and doubly so if the military were doing that. Such an extraordinary claim would require extraordinary evidence.

It would also be a career making story. The reporters who spilled it would be the Woodward and Bernstein of our time. It would be an insatiable target for ambitious, especially activist reporters of the Greenwald mold. They would pursue it to the ends of the Earth. You'll note that this actually hasn't happened either.

The claim, that the US Military or Government offed an American civilian is the kind that has cropped up repeatedly over the decades. But not a single accusation has ever been borne out. Not a single person has ever gone to jail. Not a single claim or claim of conspiracy has ever, despite investigation, been proven true. There hasn't been a single whistleblower or a single trial.

How can one conspiracy keep being so wrong, over and over? How can different groups supposedly doing this be so good at it mistakes don't happen?

Maybe its because given everything above, it doesn't actually happen.

At this point its not even really worth discussing that kind of events. No matter what there will be a horde of apologists that will do anything to defend the government and when all else fail, will simply pull the "crazy conspiracy theorists" card.

Its called conditioning.

Yeah, the guy randomly crashed his car at 100mph at 4am after while working on a possibly career-defining story. Completly logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    I can assure you, only people of a certain mindset and political philosophy did, like they always do.

Saying the United States government has taken to killing political enemies, civilians, who are American citizens, within the US is an extraordinarily claim.
    Thats funny because the administration has admitted to assassinating at least 4 American Citizens quite openly, one of them was a 17 year old who's crime was apparently that he 'chose' a bad father. They just keep slowly pushing the envelope with what they are doing, the population becomes complacent and sits back accepting it.

It just seems like the vast majority of people do not realize that the government serves the will of those who have power and influence; and that patriotism, xenophobia and jingoism are simply tools to mislead and indoctrinate the population.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn