Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Gunslinger Girl is one of my very, very top series as well. Our tastes may be different, but I see we agree on what takes the top. ^.^

I have watched it long ago, so it is not possible for me to explain what is it that moved me so much in detail - but there are several scenes simply impossible to forget, ones that impact you like a sledgehammer on the groin. Angelica's death in the last episode or Rico shooting the boy witness in the hotel are good examples of those.
    I'd agree with those, particularly the former. Interesting point on that, the lyrics of Beethoven's 9th translated are:

Joy, beautiful spark of the divinity,
    Daughter from Elysium,
    We enter your sanctuary, burning with fervor,
    o heavenly being!
    Your magic brings together
    what custom has sternly divided.
    All men shall become brothers,
    wherever your gentle wings rest.

These are just so perfect for that final scene with Angelica dying. It's what really transforms the series because while it's a dark series, it's not hopeless. It ends on something of a high note with Angelica being reunited with her trainer, even if it is at the end. To quote Victor Hugo, "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved -- loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves." It's what differentiates her death from Elsa's: Elsa was starved of this vital need and died alone, one of the most terrible fates for a human being.

What really got me on several occasions were the smaller scenes, such as the first time Angelica is sent out into the field. Her trainer is watching the video on the TV as she rapidly murders several men and then at the end turns to the screen and smiles in a completely innocent, "I did a good job, didn't I?" look. At that point the trainer, in disgust with himself, promptly switches the TV off. It's just so poignant without a single word being said.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I'd agree with those, particularly the former. Interesting point on that, the lyrics of Beethoven's 9th translated are:

Joy, beautiful spark of the divinity,
    Daughter from Elysium,
    We enter your sanctuary, burning with fervor,
    o heavenly being!
    Your magic brings together
    what custom has sternly divided.
    All men shall become brothers,
    wherever your gentle wings rest.

These are just so perfect for that final scene with Angelica dying. It's what really transforms the series because while it's a dark series, it's not hopeless. It ends on something of a high note with Angelica being reunited with her trainer, even if it is at the end. To quote Victor Hugo, "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved -- loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves." It's what differentiates her death from Elsa's: Elsa was starved of this vital need and died alone, one of the most terrible fates for a human being.

What really got me on several occasions were the smaller scenes, such as the first time Angelica is sent out into the field. Her trainer is watching the video on the TV as she rapidly murders several men and then at the end turns to the screen and smiles in a completely innocent, "I did a good job, didn't I?" look. At that point the trainer, in disgust with himself, promptly switches the TV off. It's just so poignant without a single word being said.
    I don't even know why I haven't watched this yet, it sounds incredible. For now I'm getting into Natsume, so god damn relaxing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I don't even know why I haven't watched this yet, it sounds incredible. For now I'm getting into Natsume, so god damn relaxing.
    Gunslinger Girl is among the absolute best, no competition in its category. I know I may not sound very convincing considering how tolerant of bad anime I usually am, but I will have to ask you to trust me on this.

Beware though, it hits you in the feels so hard you wish it hit your nucksack instead.

Think i will leave this here

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

I'm gonna go stand in line.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's another one, too...

Beat you to it Sesto

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Think i will leave this here
    [video=youtube;nLXVinyXjgA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXVinyXjgA[video]

15+ Year Old Account
    Ars Nova: Glad I didn't drop this show. This episode was absolutely phenomenal. The character development of Haruna was quite awesome to see, she is probably my favourite character now.

Deleted
    Decided to (finally?) watch Steins;Gate and the first episode was... Confusing. Does it keep that narration mode or does it get at least a bit clearer to follow?

10+ Year Old Account
    its quite clear to follow, but the first episode is supposedly a "block" and gets a lot better from there

Decided to (finally?) watch Steins;Gate and the first episode was... Confusing. Does it keep that narration mode or does it get at least a bit clearer to follow?
    It's funny how much sense the first episode makes after watching the entire series. I know it's confusing now, but it all clears up. Keep going! The episodes following aren't as confusing.

Deleted
    Thanks!

And don't you worry, I will keep going. There's no way I'd stop watching a series, especially one so widely praised, because the first episode was less that satisfying. I mean, if Madoka taught me anything about anime, it's not to judge a series from the appearances. ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    It handles the time travel stuff (I'm not giving anything away with that, am I) a lot better than most other series which dabble in it do. It is confusing for a while, but the constraints and how it portrays the butterfly effect are all pretty satisfyingly done IMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    It handles the time travel stuff (I'm not giving anything away with that, am I) a lot better than most other series which dabble in it do. It is confusing for a while, but the constraints and how it portrays the butterfly effect are all pretty satisfyingly done IMO.
    "Steins;Gate deals with time travel" is about as much of a spoiler as "Goku does not actually die on Namek" is, so do not worry. :P

Thanks!

And don't you worry, I will keep going. There's no way I'd stop watching a series, especially one so widely praised, because the first episode was less that satisfying. I mean, if Madoka taught me anything about anime, it's not to judge a series from the appearances. ;D
    Yeah, it's.. kind of similar to Madoka in that regard. Not to spoil or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    I actually have watched it (not the movies). Hajime no ippo probably isn't even my personal favourite, I just think way too many people brush it off for no reason. I shouldn't have got so butthurt though.
    Why do you like bad anime.

But not good anime.

/mind-boggled

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know if this was posted yet, but I absolutely loved last years one and this is glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I don't even know why I haven't watched this yet, it sounds incredible.
    Converted another. >

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Yeah, it might be a bit confusing at the start, but everything falls in place quickly. The best part: You have a twotimer bonus:
    If you decide to rewatch the series after you know everything, you will find that everything that happened always had a cause. And you will be able to know stuff about a specific object as well:

So, in this timeline A did not do B, so that the X is not on position 1 anymore but at position 2. Sounds confusing? Ofc, but at one point you will be able to fill out the variables =)