Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Golden light literally shot out of my Character and monitor when Stormherald was finally forged.

I miss TBC professions T_T
    I may disagree with a lot of what you posted, but I will give you this. Profressions in TBC were amazing. Ever since then, Blizzard never really hit the nail on the head with them. Which is why we have professions that will literally do nothing next xpac. Professions are, to me, the largest waste of potential that is already content in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Weapons on Kael'thas, Shattered Halls Heroic, Illidan fire elementals, Paladins had specific advantages in certain situations. Mt Hyjal was the epitome of raiding pre-sunwell (sunwell being an unplanned bonus/filler raid). Tier 6 consisted of 2 raids, Black Temple and Mt'Hyjal... How is the final tier (where only a tiny % of players saw) not the epitome of TBC raiding?

Paladins were extremely popular tanks and widely used at all levels of raiding and had an advantage over other tanks in heroic 5mans and any situation of AOE tanking, we didn't use one as a main tank in Sunwell (Feral and Prot Warrior) though, but other guilds did.
    Hyjal was not even close to black temple, and most considered kael'thas / vashj harder than all but archimonde (of which paladins didn't help)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Golden light literally shot out of my Character and monitor when Stormherald was finally forged.

I was so happy when I finished making my stormherald. Still have it sitting in my backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxtorph View Post
    Don't need to offer a counter. Your post is all opinion, and not even original. My opinion is different, and I'm right.
    Remind me again how your opinion can be more correct than anyone else's.
    "You little hoochees!" - Daos, Lord of Terror

Quote Originally Posted by PraisetheSun View Post
    "NEENER-NEENER RETS ARE WIENERS."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Hyjal was not even close to black temple, and most considered kael'thas / vashj harder than all but archimonde (of which paladins didn't help)
    Kael and Vash were defenitley harder than the first few bosses of Hyjal and also BT. But that was a little reward for doing the pre-quest by killing vash/kael.
    Druid since Feb. 06

How did Paladins not help? Paladins made Kael'thas much easier by simply having a tank that can hold agro on AOE for the weapons, the weapons that would just 1shot half your melee group if not tanked, the weapons that needed to be AOE dps'd down in what was a burst dps phase, where you would even use your haste potion, so having a Paladin tank here was a massive advantage and one that we used.. I can't imagine how much more of a pain in the ass it would have been to do that without a Pala tank. And Kael'thas was already enough of a pain in the ass.

And Black Temple/Hyjal were on equal terms regardless of whether Black Temple is harder, BT trash equally benefitted from a Paladin tank, you needed to beat Vashj/Kael Thas to get there and yes those 2 bosses were harder than most of T6. The fact is most guilds only killed them the minimum ammount of times necessary, because they were harder than most of T6.

I don't know why I have to make a case for Paladin tanks in TBC, they were everywhere. It's not a debate of opinion but a fact of history.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

How did Paladins not help? Paladins made Kael'thas much easier by simply having a tank that can hold agro on AOE for the weapons, the weapons that would just 1shot half your melee group if not tanked, the weapons that needed to be AOE dps'd down in what was a burst dps phase, where you would even use your haste potion, so having a Paladin tank here was a massive advantage and one that we used.. I can't imagine how much more of a pain in the ass it would have been to do that without a Pala tank. And Kael'thas was already enough of a pain in the ass.

And Black Temple/Hyjal were on equal terms regardless of whether Black Temple is harder, BT trash equally benefitted from a Paladin tank, you needed to beat Vashj/Kael Thas to get there and yes those 2 bosses were harder than most of T6. The fact is most guilds only killed them the minimum ammount of times necessary, because they were harder than most of T6.

I don't know why I have to make a case for Paladin tanks in TBC, they were everywhere. It's not a debate of opinion but a fact of history.
    Yeah, druid tanks were everywhere too, but if your paladin was solely tank then you were doing it wrong. Warriors were the sole real tank, with paladins helping for a couple things here and there (and no, I don't agree they were a massive help on kael'thas). You'd use these to trivialize some easy fights then get the warrior out for hte real content while the druid / paladin went back to healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Bubleheart View Post
    I may disagree with a lot of what you posted, but I will give you this. Profressions in TBC were amazing. Ever since then, Blizzard never really hit the nail on the head with them. Which is why we have professions that will literally do nothing next xpac. Professions are, to me, the largest waste of potential that is already content in the game.
    I will also say this was the best part about TBC profession were fun long grinds. If you hate long grinds sorry, but it made professions seem worthwhile. Being able to make something that could be useful through multiple tiers was a good time and rewarding and not being able to sell the final versions made it even better. Professions become gold machines in WotLK and now they are going to be phased out for the most part with the intro of Garrisons etc. I'd rather see a return to old professions than anything else from Vanilla or TBC.

Yeah, druid tanks were everywhere too, but if your paladin was solely tank then you were doing it wrong. Warriors were the sole real tank, with paladins helping for a couple things here and there (and no, I don't agree they were a massive help on kael'thas). You'd use these to trivialize some easy fights then get the warrior out for hte real content while the druid / paladin went back to healing.
    I have to disagree with you, a paladin tank was the superior choice for Illidan fire elementals, it was also able to main tank Illidan (druid was not, due to no block for shear). Paladin made Kael'thas much easier, this is a fact. A Warrior could tank a maximum of 4 targets at once properly, and even then at only a fraction of the damage and threat output of a Paladin.

In most cases the Paladin was used as the offtank, but that's fine since every fight needed atleast 2 tanks. People switching to dps/healing was not a thing in TBC.. unless you have forgotten that dual spec did not exist until well after WOTLK launched. If you were to do that you would simply have someone outside to switch out, and that was commonplace too.

On the 2 arguably most difficult bosses of the expansion pre-sunwell (Kael'Thas and Illidan) it was an advantage to have a Paladin tank, a big advantage on Kael'thas.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

15+ Year Old Account
    Also i was just scrolling through my screenshot archive and found one with small orc shoulders , haha. That was quite a funny bug <3
    Druid since Feb. 06

Why are you acting like Black temple was hard. seriously.

I have a question, Did you think Gorefiend was hard?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    I will also say this was the best part about TBC profession were fun long grinds. If you hate long grinds sorry, but it made professions seem worthwhile. Being able to make something that could be useful through multiple tiers was a good time and rewarding and not being able to sell the final versions made it even better. Professions become gold machines in WotLK and now they are going to be phased out for the most part with the intro of Garrisons etc. I'd rather see a return to old professions than anything else from Vanilla or TBC.
    Well if you actually look at WoD databases. For blacksmithing I saw an epic slot for all armor pieaces and they "tier" uprades from 91-99 ending at well above LFR.

So you can craft gear as you level and keep upgrading it and voila you have raid gear.

From ID's it also appears the crafts can proc a socket and warforge themselves.

This allows your proc crafts to generate some big bucks or be a wonderful pieace of loot to use.

So yes professions are getting back on track.

Did I just make your day? If so please post something or a picture that makes me smile.... I love to smile.
    Also with this information it might be a good time to think over your profession choices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    God, this same old topic.

Seriously, things were not all so swell and nice back then. People still raged and just left the group or kicked you if anything went wrong in a 5-man. It wasn't long until the same old, "want fast clear plz" crap took over and if you weren't in current tier raiding gear people would kick you from 5-man or Kara groups, too.

Hard 5-mans? Maybe, but most people just did Slave Pens and Mechanar anyway. Magisters Terrace was an absolute nightmare of class elitism as well.

Netherwing, dear lord...most of the dailies were really awkward and it was just another rep grind. Yeah, I still use my Netherwing drake to this day, but it was not some fun, exciting, fulfilling accomplishment. It was an awful grind with shitbird dailies (go to Nagrand, keke) that I tolerated because I liked the look of the mount.

Yeah, everyone knows what Dragonspine Trophy was....because it was an example of horrible itemization. Such a huge consolidation of power in a single item that most people would never get simply because of RNG. Yeah, it pissed people off, so they remember it.

TBC raid mechanics were more lethal than today? Maybe if you're comparing them to LFR or Normal modes today. (Which seems to be the cool thing to do lately, compare the hardest parts of TBC with LFR, Flex, or even Normal)

Yes, there were a lot of good points about TBC too. It's true that you tended to have a tighter community, but that also meant that you'd spend evenings just sitting on your hands because none of your tank pals logged on. You can still make friends today though, and you have options for things to do if they're not on.

MoP 5-mans were pretty awful, I can agree with that one. I didn't understand why they were tuned to be so pathetic. So there is that.

All in all though I enjoyed TBC a lot more because the game was still new to me and I still took it seriously. Everything felt like such serious business, now I guess I'm older and nothing seems serious at all, just shits and giggles to pass the time.
    No TBC was quite lethal, Heroic raids today are forgiving is hell the only time Heroic raiding was extremely Lethal honestly would be Tier 11 other tiers had 1-2 bosses sprinkled in here and there but T11 was the King of difficult raiding. Hell alot of times I can accidently tank a boss even on heroic for a hit and survive *whoops*. What else? ohhh. right 30 second cooldown *LOL I'm gonna eat this damage it tickles idgaf*. No almost all damage is pretty forgiving unless it's a blatent one shot mechanic in a raids. I would know since you know I actually kill them all.

Also this is just... hilarious
    Seriously, things were not all so swell and nice back then. People still raged and just left the group or kicked you if anything went wrong in a 5-man. It wasn't long until the same old, "want fast clear plz" crap took over and if you weren't in current tier raiding gear people would kick you from 5-man or Kara groups, too.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2014-04-29 at 03:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    TBC was fucking terrible compared to wow now days. Take your nostalgia goggles off. And Yes. I also killed everything.
    Terrible? Hardly. And seriously get out of here with the fucking "goggles" bullshit. Every single time someone says something about a previous expac was better they're told that they're wrong and it's just nostalgia/rose tinted goggles. I can see it now. This time two years from now if someone talks about MoP in a good light they'll be told how MoP was just terrible and that WoW now a days is the best ever!

It's like this every expansion rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Vormav View Post
    Terrible? Hardly. And seriously get out of here with the fucking "goggles" bullshit. Every single time someone says something about a previous expac was better they're told that they're wrong and it's just nostalgia/rose tinted goggles. I can see it now. This time two years from now if someone talks about MoP in a good light they'll be told how MoP was just terrible and that WoW now a days is the best ever!

It's like this every expansion rofl
    If i put on my beer goggles Dragon Soul looks like a good raid. LFR looks fun too!

10+ Year Old Account
    I completely agree. "Chore vs. Adventure" is the perfect way to word it.

Please We had fucking ultraxion just 3 tiers ago it's even less going on then Brutallus yet. sure enough nobody was beating the DPS check boss that had shitty players until nerfs rolled in. That type of rolling debuff never hit Brute's HP pool. And you couldn't just farm sunwell on easy mode to gain more dps.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been a gamer for a long time. Sorry but I wasn't pants on head retarded as fuck in TBC and suddenly got leet skills as bosses got more developed. They just expanded the toolkit players have and thus expanded upon what bosses could do. Because HOLY THRALLS BALLS maybe difficult encounters are built around people actually understanding how to play the game.
    Oh god, finally someone said it!

Number of mechanics is relative to classes' toolkit. It's not like players magically got better after TBC... We just have a better kit now, so encounters are built around the assumption we know what the fuck we are doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you recruit one for that content though? Or just use him because he was there. Big difference.
    My guild also recruited a paladin to ease AoE tanking on SSC (Tidewalker mostly) and Hyjal and to be one of our fire tanks on Illidan. He also got a ret set if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mulgore Sweet Potato View Post
    What a load of crap. Daily grind was daily grind then just as it is now.
    Agree. A grind is a grind.

But still, some challenges were harder (felt more rewarding). Also, maybe I'm biased, but I netherwing had an way cooler/darker area...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Paladins were the best tank healers...they could heal for hours without mana problems. Also paladins were the best aoe tanks..in fights that the boss had adds that should be killed quickly (Hydros for example) a paladin tank could gather them and build extremely high threat in seconds, allowing dps to full aoe dps them without the fear of getting a hit (and insta die). Plus, buff bot may not sound "powerful" but it really was..the buffs back then were really important and could make the difference. Also Hand of protection, hand of salvation...Paladins and all classes were perfectly viable back then and you actually felt you bring something unique to the group beside your tank/dps/heal role..
    While I agree with you, I have a feeling this will end on another hybrid vs. pure balancing discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty sure TBC meant The Burning Cupcakes. I could be wrong on that one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

PSSSST

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=138887

(I'm still making a fortune selling these things)

The subs kept growing and peaked around Cata launch. It was from there they went downhill. You don't need to remember correctly, this information is freely available and well documented.
    I know it is.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

Growth stopped start of 2009. Small spike much later around Cata launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaelai View Post
    What CC did a Death Knight have, other than that 7-8 second Strangulate? (IIRC?) What CC did a Priest have other than Shackle Undead (which only works on... yanno... undead)? What CC did a Feral Druid have, other than that tornado-type spell that only lasted like 6-8 seconds? Back then, I remember Repentance being Retribution-only.

Oh, and Warriors didn't have long CC either. In fact, if you were Arms, you had exactly 0 CC other than a short-duration but long cooldown fear.

So, a group of...

Prot Paladin
    Shadow Priest
    Arms Warrior
    Feral Druid
    Holy Priest

Had pretty much zero long-term cooldown whatsoever. And since Cataclysm was that "ingenious" idea where Blizz nerfed everybody's heals, you couldn't even off-heal whatsoever, because 12k was not going to save anybody's butts when your average mob hit for 2-3x that, easy.
    Group comp also plays a big role when you plan to do organized stuff*, which should be the focus in a MMO. This is not Skyrim.

*You can't (or shouldn't) expect to succeed by having 5 mages or 5 DK in your heroic dungeon group. This is not Guild Wars 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Fennixx View Post
    Group comp also plays a big role when you plan to do organized stuff*, which should be the focus in a MMO. This is not Skyrim.

*You can't (or shouldn't) expect to succeed by having 5 mages or 5 DK in your heroic dungeon group. This is not Guild Wars 2.
    But you should expect to do a dungeon with the 1/3/1 setup. Nobody is talking about a 5 DD setup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anaxie super knows what tf he/shes doing. That's unfair to the raid bosses Nerf!
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Dev blogs gave me an idea for our Paladin section. Ret Paladins allowed only :3

lets just say we will all learn more about each and no it's not ERP