Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    However, people can believe in whatever they please. That shouldn't stop someone from dating another individual.
    It shouldn't but it often does. My one friend had to convert to Greek Orthodox in order to get the ok to marry his wife.

Damn, guess I'm going to have to find an AtheistsOnly dating website to find a wife >.>

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I have a feeling I'm coming off as more religious as I really am. Like, I havent attended church in over a year. Everything is just kind of personal and in my head, and its something I believe you shouldnt push on anyone unless they reach out for it first.
    Nah, I was just totally curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It's not supposed to. Statistics is the only inductive field of mathematics.
    So what's your point? People were asserting knowledge about america based on this sample.

Is it on-topic for me to say that non-Americans find it weird and a little creepy when Americans say "our prayers are with you"?

That really isn't a thing in other Western countries.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    well, atheists do come off as prickish most of the time. blame the high and mighty douchebags that flaunt their atheism.
    Luckily religious people are never high and mighty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I wonder if there is a poll that shows 100% of atheists wouldn't marry anyone religious.
    My thoughts exactly.

When I read the thread I was like.. why is this bad for atheists? Chances are that anyone religious enough for it to be an issue for isn't someone an atheist would be interested in anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosEater View Post
    Damn, guess I'm going to have to find an AtheistsOnly dating website to find a wife >.>
    Not a difficult task. There's just about literally dating sites for conceivable social grouping. For example, the first two results on google for "atheist dating site".

www.atheistpassions.com
    www.freethinkermatch.com

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Ya know here is an interesting question... My religion is literally me not giving a crap about Religion... Where do I fall in the whole spectrum?

10+ Year Old Account
    Never heard of Mayberry before now.
    I picked it up from Buffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick
    Sunnydale. Town's got quaint. And the people? He called me 'sir'. Don't you just miss that? I mean, admittedly, it's not a haven for the brothers, you know, strictly the Caucasian Persuasion here in the Dale. But, you know, you just gotta stand up and salute their death rate. I ran a statistical analysis, and hello darkness. It makes...D.C. look... like Mayberry, and ain't nobody saying boo about it. We could fit right in here. Have us some fun.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

Quote Originally Posted by Grandore View Post
    Ya know here is an interesting question... My religion is literally me not giving a crap about Religion... Where do I fall in the whole spectrum?
    The spectrum would say you give enough of a crap to form your own religion and are thusly in self denial.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandore View Post
    Apatheism, probably.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Apatheism, probably.
    There's a label for everything, I swear to god.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/...personal-life/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5492864.html

I knew America didn't like atheists but I'm honestly surprised that half of the country wouldn't date one of us. I'm glad that the vast majority of Americans wouldn't care that I'm a gun owner though, which isn't surprising at all. I know that in my urban millennial bubble most people don't care if you're an atheist or a gun owner so I wonder how long the nation wide distrust of us will last. I'm glad that college education doesn't matter much, even though I have a degree myself.
    And I as an atheist/agnostic, wouldn't want to marry a religious person or approve of a religious person being married into my family.
    I think you're looking at this too harshly.

So what? I where wouldn't date a religious person, or a Nazi, or a criminal... We have the right to choose. I can't spend time around religious people since I always get reminded of them having a different view on the world than me. I am one for fact, science, proven history and evolution.I take joy in those topics. Knowing that my partner denied all those things to keep believing in resurrection, magic, a history not even spanning 2500 years back in time and some being holding all the strings would eventually get to me. And I sure wouldn't want kids with that person since that would possibly result in them going down the same road...

I don't feel insulted by that poll, and I am fairly certain that no religious person would care that I don't wanna date them

That being said, I wouldn't react with anything but surprise if someone in my close family began dating a religious person, as long as the person would keep the religious part at home/in church.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2014-06-17 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    So what's your point? People were asserting knowledge about america based on this sample.
    Some people cant wait to explain to you how intelligent they are by linking a poll or a huff-n-puff infographic.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Yeah, because the certainty level is reasonably high. If you need to get a lesson in literal Statistics 101, go get it and stop acting like you're raising a point from an informed place.

- - - Updated - - -

Because at a certain point you say it's so unlikely that the results are wrong that you treat it as knowledge pending further proof.
    P values and confidence intervals don't real, shitlord. If you can't prove it like you can prove that 13 is a prime number, I can say it might not be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Apatheism, probably.
    It's far bigger than anyone realises, because people who don't care about or put much thought into their religion often just give the religion they were born into when asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    There's a label for everything, I swear to god.
    Swearing to god? Vulgaratheism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't care less about someone's religious beliefs in terms of 'future family members'.

Some of the best/kindest/most decent people I know are atheistic and some of the scummiest, slimiest, most vile pieces of shit I've ever heard/read about were priests, preachers, members of the Roman Catholic Church, etc.

And on the other side of the church coin, I know many wonderful religious people. My best friend is deeply religious, for example. And I'm sure that there's enough atheist assholes out there to fill a small country, but I can't say I've met many.

Point being, I don't generalize and I don't use someone's beliefs as a measuring stick for whether or not that person is worthy of my time. All that matters to me is whether or not they're a good person, period. You can do that with or without a bible.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

There are several totally different religions, and they hate each other.

What do you expect us to do?
    Choose the most popular religion?
    Safety in numbers?

Because at a certain point you say it's so unlikely that the results are wrong that you treat it as knowledge pending further proof. All knowledge is inductive in a sense. There's an implicit assumption that your observations are trustworthy, despite the actually provable fallibility of the senses.
    What's that point though? Also, how do you know your observations are so trustworthy that you can assume your past experience will be uniform with future experience?